Christine818

Best Hair Straightener?

So I'm looking to get a new straightener since I find that my current one isn't doing the job (it's a few years old and only goes up to 210 degrees maximum if I recall correctly). I have mid-length, thick, wavy hair with curls/ringlets on the underside of my hair...so safe to say the last thing my hair wants to do is stay straight! I'm looking for something that won't make my hair flat/volume-less. I don't want to fry my hair!! but I do want something effective that will give me nice straight locks! Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks so much :smileyvery-happy: xoxo

Clakent

Re: Best Hair Straightener?

(0) Hearts

Karmin, it's a salon brand and it makes your hair lovely and sleek.

JGSFLA

BABY BLISS PRO...better than the others in my opinion :smileyhappy:

LKuhle

I bought the GHD two years ago and I loooove it. I have rather thick, curly hair and it definitely gets the job done. I also use it for curling, too. It heats up very quickly and, if I accidentally leave it on for too long, it'll cool down and beep to let me know. You just have to use a heat protectant, but you'd need that with any heat tool.

lylysa

For hair that is thick and wavy, opt into a flat iron that at least offers temperatures into the 300 degree range. Though most flat irons today go upwards to 420 degrees, whether or not they're adjustable, temperatures that high are much better reserved for coarse and tighter wound curls.

Regardless of what flat iron your purchase, the key is proper thermal protection. No matter what type of plates, protective coating, or temperature range options are offered, you're still introducing high levels of heat to hair and without any protective product or coating, your strands will instantly feel the effects. Heat protectant products range from sprays to oils to serums and going off of your hair type you're probably better suited for a serum. Sprays are a good start point, but serve better toward thin or fine hair as where a serum will weigh that hair type down, but not so much in the aspects of thicker hair types. With midlength hair, divide hair into 2-4 sections and apply product starting from the middle of your hair shaft to the ends then finger combing near the tops/roots to avoid applying the heavier weight serum direct to roots or ends which will make the areas look greasy or oily. Try using a small amount like the size of a dime more of less depending on how you have your hair sectioned off, it's easier to start with a little and add more than to go overboard on the first go-around.

Look into serums or even creams like Redken's Heat Glide, Living Proof's Satin Hair Serum, or Alterna's Caviar CC Cream (also a repairative treatment).

Depending on your price point, check out brands like T3, Sedu, GHD, Babybliss, and Croc. There's a website called Folica that offers dozens upon dozens of reviews for hair styling tools, it's like the Sephora review haven but for flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers!

lissay

I just bought the GHD and I absoulutely love it!  You can not control the heat setting but I haven't had any issues with it frying my hair or anything. It makes my natural curly hair straight and very shinny!

fitzg

I have a GHD that's two or three years old at this point and still works like its brand new - I love it! It doesn't make my hair flat which I love and you can use it to curl your hair or to create just a little extra volume at the bottom. It also heats up amazingly quickly.

DoctorsMrs

I have a professional quality CHI meant for salon use and purchased for me by a friend who's a stylist. I like it very much but I'm not sure that there's a huge difference between a super pricey iron and the more moderately priced options. I think that the most important features are temperature control and ceramic plates. Both are important for keeping your hair healthy. Also- be sure to use a good heat protectant every time.

HMNewbie

Love my Jose Eber. Don't know if Sephora carries it. Got mine at Ulta. I do recommend Alterna Bamboo heat protectant as my iron goes to 450 (I think). I only use it at 375 and it tames my coarse waves easy. 

kelsey808

I love my ghd straightener, and I've pretty much tried them all. I've had mine for 3 years and it hasn't broken which is something I've had a problem with with my others. It's a little on the expensive side but I believe that mine was well worth the investment!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • lissay
    • lylysa
    • Christine818
    • JGSFLA
    • HMNewbie
    • kelsey808