Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Beauty waves/loose curls: Need recommendations for a new curling iron/wand

So, most posts I've seen on BT are a little older, and I wanted to get updated opinions/recommendations from everyone. I'm in search of a curling wand or iron that is a 32mm barrel or 1.25 inches. I have a NumeTitanium wand (which is a piece of junk). My Nume does awesome curls, but they die down and just give my hair a slight bend by the end of the day. I want to maintain the beach waves for at least two days. I have long thick hair. Most curling iron's I have tried just don't cut it- my beach waves/curls are gone by the end of the day. I don't want to spend more than $150 (unless it's from Ulta because I have 2000 points I want to redeem which equal to $125). Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I also live in Miami where humidity is 100% year-round.

Re: Beauty waves/loose curls: Need recommendations for a new curling iron/wand

Hi @natalyf,

I have pin needle straight hair that never really wants to keep a curl! In high school my friend used her heavy duty hairspray on my hair (the same one she used for marching band shows) and I kid you not my hair came out within 2 hours. She was quite unhappy with me, haha. One time I did get my hair done for a wedding and the stylist used some kind of magic hair primer that kept the curls in for 3 days! I would have kept the curls longer, but my hair needed a wash by then and I was not introduced to the magic of dry shampoo at that time. (;

I've been on the search for some kind of primer that will help and although I haven't found it yet, but you may like Living Proof Prime Style Extender™ or the Spray version, ALTERNA Haircare CAVIAR CC Cream for Hair 10-in-1 Complete Correction, or Bumble and bumble Prep! (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

I have similar hair to you.  What products are you using when you curl your hair.  At least in my experience, products have as much, if not more, to do with how long my curls last as my curling iron.  (I say that as someone who owns both cheap-o curling irons and T3).  Neither are quite the barrel size you are looking for but I have both the T3 twirl and Bio Ionic and really like them.

@kelloua I'm not a fan of using a lot of products, but I alternate between 12 benefits treatment or It's a 10 when my hair is wet. For keeping my curls I alternate between Sebastian 3 different hairsprays and I also use my Oribe Texturizing Spray. I hate that crunchy hairspray feel. 

My new favourite way to curl my hair is with a good ol' hair straightener. I don't use anything fancy, just a generic brand ceramic flat iron from Sally Beauty Supply. My hair is stubborn, so it likes to be either straight or really curly, not really beachy-waves in between unless I'm on day 2 or 3 of having the curls.

There are many YouTube videos on this, and the technique is super easy. I've only done this 3 or 4 times, and I've already cut down on my curling time by 20+ minutes. With a curling wand, I have to be careful to take small sections because otherwise my hair is too thick and won't hold the curl. Then, I have to keep the lock of hair in my hand for a few seconds before letting go. Usually I'll have at least 20 strands to do. With an iron, I can do in 12 small sections or less.

@k617 I used to used a straightener to curl my hair for years. I stopped using that technique about a year ago because my hair was getting so damaged. The waves did last me all week between washes.  I still love the curls I get from using a straightener and how quick and easy it was, just not exactly what I need at the moment. Also, it didn't really provide me the "beachy" waves I wanted.

Ah, I see! I'm sorry to hear this damaged your hair 😞 I usually only blow dry my hair, and I have naturally coarse hair. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you!

I own the Sarah Potempa beachwaver and I think it's the best tool invented for waves/curls.  I have tried all sorts of curlers and have always had issues curling the right side of my head.  One side would look good, and the other would be flat and hold no curl at all.  I grabbed this beachwaver on a whim when beauty.com was going out of business and omg it is seriously a life saver! It spins on its own and you can choose the spin direction.  My hair waves beautifully and stays that way.  I'm not sure how thick the barrel is on it, but I think that the beachwaver pro is a bit bigger and longer (so better if you have longer hair).  My hair is short and the beachwaver works well for me.  It's kinda pricey but honestly so worth it.  I was stoked though to get it for only $60 when beauty.com went down, that was a shock and I just had to have it at that price lol. @natalyf

@sabrinas I actually just ordered the Beachwaver S1.25! I wanted to try it out and see how the curls hold on my hair. I've heard mixed things about the Beachwaver, so I'm pretty excited to get a first hand feel for how it works with my hair once it gets delivered! 

Hi @sabrinas

I have the same issue! Let us know how this works for you!!

I'd be interested in knowing what people like, too. 

I had a girl try the blowdry bar curling iron on me and it seemed pretty quick and easy to use.  She curled my hair around 7 pm and it lasted until at least about 12 am.

Meanwhile, I purchased a T3 curling iron with 3 different attachments.  That is the saddest thing ever.  I curl my hair and it looks awesome for 5 mins, and then it all goes flat.  I have really long and kind of thin hair that doesn't like holding a curl, for reference.

I've also tried the T3 beach waver and I liked that one.  I may even like it better than the T3 with changeable barrel heads.

If I had to do it all over I might get the blowdry bar curling iron because it has that innovative design where you can hold one end of the iron and just roll the hair up to curl.

Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing