tenngal

Anybody know a product for "scrunching" hair that won't make it stiff as a board?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have tried zillions of different hairstyling products, but all of them make my hair stiff as a board when all I want to do is scrunch my hair for a quick and easy hairdo.  The problem isn't making my hair scrunch because I have enough natural curl and layers so that it will get the scrunched look.  The main problem is that every product I use (from the cheap to the expensive) that holds my hair in the scrunched look makes my hair so stiff it feels like it's going to break.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks. :smileyhappy:

UPDATE:  Thanks to everybody who responded with suggestions in answer to my question . . . I just wanted to let everybody know that I think I have finally found my "miracle" product which is "Redkin Ringlet 07 - Curl Perfecting Lotion for Medium Hair".  It works at holding my scrunchy look and still feels soft and bouncy.  I just wanted to let everyone know about the product because it works great!

ginadepaul

Re: Anybody know a product for "scrunching" hair that won't make it stiff as a board?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm glad you found it but if you want to try, you can try Joico's product as well.

Manda

Re: Anybody know a product for "scrunching" hair that won't make it stiff as a board?

(0) Hearts

As much as you posted that you found a product, I'm going to solve the crunchy gel problem.  After you put gel in your hair and your hair dries, scrunch it.  This will break the gel casts and provide gorgeous, soft curls.  Hope this might help out some of you.

galeeti

(0) Hearts

i have curly hair i use a tresseme curl care from any drugstore. i then sleep on it.....it gives it volume without the frizz and because its drying while your laying on it it wont be stiff and crunchy.

hope it helps....

dianemary126

try ouidad products!!! they are the best for curly/wavy hair. the climate control gel is great for scrunching and defining curls- it has great hold and will not leave your hair stiff!

officegal

Tenngal, I have to post a response here since the private message system won't deliver my response for some reason.  :smileysad:

------------------------

COOL!  Thanks for testing it and for the update!  :smileyhappy:

I have the Tousle Me mousse and have used it alone without a huge issue.  But I'll try it with the Moroccan Hair Oil and see how that turns out!  I've grown out my hair and it's badly in need of a cut so the "curl" is quite loose these days. 

My sister who also has wavy hair says that Aveda's Phomollient Styling Foam is also great at keeping the shape of the wave without the wet/crunchy look.  The description for it says "adds shine and weightless volume to fine or medium hair."

TTYL!

reggiemiller

(0) Hearts

I used to have the same problem with my hair when i had a perm. I also use the moracan oil which is a little expensive but it is well worth it. its a miracle in a bottle just in case you thought it was to expensive they sell it in a little bottle for 15.00 and it last for a long time and is not that much less in product than the big one which is like 40.00. Anyway what i do is i use that first when my hair is wet then they have a few hair products by bed head that are awsome for curling your hair. But  the best one is called (tigi bed head- uptight) and it is the holy grail for curling your hair. It doesnt make your hair hard at all but it reacts to the heat and really brings out your natural curls. So def buy it and use it with a difuser and you will never use anything else again. You will regret it if you dont buy it thats how good it is!! And it goes for like 10.00 on sale at salon savings.com good luck I hope you like it !!!!<3 p.s. another good one by bed head that gives your hair a little hold and is really good is bed head foxy curls hi-def curl spray it gives it a nice shine and a good hold and it is really resonable. but the other one is better!!!!<3

boomtown

I too have naturally wavy/curly hair and have found that when products say "scrunching" they really just end up crunchy. All gels will end this way. I personally opt for a mousse. I first use Moroccan Oil to make my hair suuuuper soft and shiny. Then I use Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly Mousse. It lets my hair move, but still hold the wave/curl and fight frizz.

officegal

I've gotta try that.  I use both the Moroccan Oil and the Herbal Essences Mousse but have never used them together before.  Tenngal, glad you found a solution to the dilemma!  How did it turn out??

cocacolagal

Try Iso Bouncy Cream. It leaves the hair soft and moisturized.

mymaserati

KMS California (I buy it at Ulta or Beauty Brands) makes scrunching spray called Curl Up Bounce-Back Spray that I LOVED when I had a loose perm last year. Works beautifully and smells nice! :smileyhappy:

katie1724

I loved TIGI Bedhead Uptight -- the yellow curl activator spray. That worked extraordinarily well and never left my hair crunchy! I think it has been discontinued and possibly replaced with the Foxy Curls line of products, but you can probably still find it. Among the Foxy Curls products, I would try the extreme curl mousse -- it's non-sticky and non-flaking.

rigel

i have naturally straight hair and depending on my hair cut, i can also scrunch my hair till there is a consideral amount of curl without stiffness, seeing you have tried all these products in diffront ranges, i strongly advise you have a chat with your hairdresser.

glyttergyrl82

OUIDAD! Sephora just started carrying this product line. I saw the infomercial and wanted to try it but have distrust for informaercials lol. I have wavy hair but my hair is so long and heavy that when I scrunch it, it doesnt always hold and within a few hours it was just icky. I have in the past gotten texture added to my hair and thinned it with certain cuts to eliminate the weight. Ouidad is catered to curly hair but can bring out curl in wavy hair too. I use the shampoo and conditioner and then the mouse (the bottle says two pumps for really long hair and its true thats all I need) and I can either scrunch while I blow dry with or without the diffuser (the attachment piece is broke so lately I have to use it without and on the low setting). It creates soft touchable curls (more curly than wavy!) and lots of volume. When I was at Sephora the other day they have a trial gift set now too. Plus if you dont like it or it doesnt work you can take it back and get your money back =-) My best friend has super curly hair and it works really well on her hair too. She loves it and she usually runs late in the mornings and has had to let her curls air dry haha but it dries decent without much frizz. The informercial also brags about curly hair using it and then straightening your hair and holding the straight hair longer.

Oh and I always straighten my hair or at least use a big curling iron to create loose curl/body and when I wore my hair like this everyone thought I got it done...no one realized I had "curly" hair =-)

rigel

are you blowing your hair out while you are scrunching or schrunching and spraying and air dry? if you are blowing it out you should be able to use less product, use the bare minum of what ever product you use to scrunch, if it takes more than a half a dime for thin hair and more than a quarter for thick hair then scrunching isnt enough for you to get some curl wave and go. you will need to do something else before scrunching like setting your hair in pin curls when wet the night before with a bit of gel, the smaller the size of hair you pull for each curl the better the hold will be, or it could be your hair is too limp to scrunch or it could be that your hair is too long to scrunch more than abit at the bottom, anyways go to your hair dresser and tell her what the problem is she will tell you what you dont know about your hair, and possibly all you need is soft layering or a trim and a few tips. your hair dresser can address this problem if she is professional even if you dont need a cut, just pay her to wash and style and teach you what you are doing wrong, or what you dont know. too many varriables that are possible that could be causing this effect. 

texas15

Johnathan Product Create Motion cream-gel! ITS AMAZING!! Check your local Ross dress for less or TJmaxx for it. You can still get it here(sephora) or ulta, etc. But at TJMAXX OR ROSS you can get it for about $5... I bought two bottles!!

supersam20

i had the same problem, i HATE the crunch! all it makes me want to do is wash my hair again. I stopped using mousse and gelsbecuase they almost always cuase CRUNCH.  I stick only to spray bottle with products that move like water, no goop. Garnier Fructis wonder waves curl enhancing spary is my new go-to every day, it quick and easy, plus its reasonably priced. if you have friz i recommend using a de-frizz serum such as Frizzez. and if you have alittle extra tim on your hands Redkins curl perfecting spray is a god sent if you have a defuser to dry you hair with after you spray it in. good luck!

ashes723

I have wavey/curly hair too and I have found that the Living Proof No Frizz for wave shaping is great! You can still run your fingers through it but it gives it shape and hold. The longer you use this product the better it gets meaning day 5 will look better than day 1 and day 10 will look better than day 5.  I bounce between wearing my hair straight and curly and it stills works great. They have 3 different levels for different hair thickness and the only differences between them is how much hydration the product will give your hair. I have tried the spray and the one for medium to thick hair and I have fine hair but I prefer the one for medium to thick hair. But if you have really thick hair you might want to try the one for thick to course hair. I hope this helps you. You cannot over use this product it is not sticky at all. I put it all over my hair and use my hands to scrunch my hair and then blow dry with a diffuser.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • cocacolagal
    • texas15
    • officegal
    • dianemary126