officegal

Worst perfume?

Ever make the mistake of buying a full bottle and ended up hating it?  I like all the perfumes I've ever bought (which are about 20) except SJP's Covet.  I thought it could work and bought it super cheap somewhere, but I can't stand the smell as it gives me a headache within 20 minutes.  What's your biggest perfume mistake?

blondeglam

Re: Worst perfume?

(0) Hearts

I was in the grocery store and a woman was on the next aisle, I could smell her perfume in my aisle. She seemed to follow me all through the store. I had such a headache half way through I stopped her to ask what she was wearing? Channel No.5  A double yuck for me. How did this scent get so popular anyway?

chewcifer

the perfume that i hate the most is elizabeth taylor diamonds. i think that's the right name. my mom loves this scent and it always made me sick. then at my last job, we sold it and i would come home stinking so bad because older women would always want to try it out so i had to make samples every day. but the one thing i know is that the staying power is incredible!

beautygeek97

(0) Hearts

I haven't bought a full bottle that I hated, but I have smelled a few things that I didn't like. Thierry Mugler Angel didn't strike my fancy. Neither did the new Paris Hilton perfumes. Those were so gross! At least I've smelled more perfumes that I liked than I hated. :smileyhappy:

<3 beautygeek97

themua

(0) Hearts

I am not a fan of Issey Miyake, it is so lemon-y in a weird, astringent, grassy way. There's a lot of people on this board that hate Angel. I love Angel "Innocent"- it's a bit lighter (less patchouli) and makes me feel like a dessert. There's a fragrance for every mood and occasion... and it's so personal. A woman at a cosmetic boutique in Paris once put a scented ribbon around my wrist. I loved the perfume and bought it. Now, every time I wear it- I'm transported to France....

laosjo

Amazing Grace by philosophy as my husband and daughter tell me it makes me smell like an old lady,

shyvicki

I got a sample of Boyfriend. P.U. It's main note is suppose to be vanilla, which is my favorite scent, but I smell anything but vanilla.

As much as I love my grandma, she has gotten me the worst perfumes. Avon's Odyssey and Mesmerize. Odyssey smells weird on me and Mesmerize is too strong and spicy for my liking. Also, I can't stand anything with patchouli in it.

maay

i hate any perfume that's soooooooooo overpowering and/or has the old lady smell... it doesnt matter what brand it is as long as it meets the said criteria! 

shoddy

Many perfumes I have purchased in the past later became regrettable.  For example, (these are from the 90's) Estee Lauder Pleasures, Clinique Happy,  Ralph Lauren's Safari, and Lauren, YSL's Paris.   Also, for some reason every thing I buy from Bath and Body Works or Victoria's Secret leads to disappointment for me.  

chivagirl13

I got a sample size of BOYFRIEND perfume, and I'm still deciding if it's supposed to be for me or my boyfriend, because it says its for women , but it smells like an extremely stinky man. :smileyvery-happy:

ohhenri

chivagirl13 wrote:

I got a sample size of BOYFRIEND perfume, and I'm still deciding if it's supposed to be for me or my boyfriend, because it says its for women , but it smells like an extremely stinky man. :smileyvery-happy:

This one has to be the #1 on my "oh no" list!!! Or maybe #2... I have a very hard time finding a perfume, because whatever I put on, I end up smelling like a dead skunk on the side of the road 5 minutes later... The worst for me is Ralph (Ralph Lauren). My friend bought a bottle, and it smelled so good, I had to try it. Then, we left her house to go out and while we were in her car, something started to smell so bad, it made me want to vomit! Only to found out that I was the thing that smelled that bad!!

prettyinpa

ohhenri-  You really put your finger on what a smelly fragrance can do!  Dead skunk LOLOLOL!!  I tried the Jessica Simpson fragrance and I thought the same thing about it! 

Had a funny experience in NYC at the Prada store- I tried the Infusion d'Iris fragrance there and really liked it, and was seriously thinking about getting it. Went to lunch and all through lunch I could smell Johnson's Baby Powder. I kept looking around to see if someone had a baby tucked in one of the booths, but no, it was all adults. My husband said he could smell it too, then it dawned on me, it was me! The Prada Iris fragrance dries down on me to a smell like Baby Powder!  Needless to say, I saved my $115 and went seeking a different fragrance!

pandapple6

I personally don't use perfume.  This is because me and many other that I know are highly allergic to anything scented. I wish that Sephora stores didn't smell so much like perfume. If there was less perfume, I would be able to shop for longer in Sephora stores and really look closely at all their products. I realize that many others like perfume, so I am just putting this information out so people know that others are allergic. 

phols

Here is a list of the perfumes that I have bought and hated....enjoy

Angel by Thierry Muggler
Definitely ended up hating Dior Addict!!!!
Very Hollywood by Michael Kors
Alien
Burberry
Caleche
Chanel no 5 eau premiere

Will add more if I remember them :-)
katie1724

[ Edited ]

@phols: We must have exactly the same taste (nose? haha) because I despise every scent you mentioned on that list. Instant headache, every one -- especially Dior Addict. I also don't like Chanel No. 5 at all -- it's waaayy too heavy of an aldehydic floral for me :{

jkb89

[ Edited ]

Some of these just didn't smell good on me and some of these gave me a really bad headache and some were both:

These ones gave me a headache and smelt bad on me:

-Clinique Happy

-ALL Britney Spears perfumes

-SJP Lovely

-Ed Hardy Love & Luck

-Mariah Carey Lollipop(i got a sample of all 4 scents-disgusting! way too sweet smelling, I guess lollipop was a dead giveaway)

These ones just smelt bad on me but didn't give me a migraine:

-Calvin Klein Euphoria(smell)

-Dior Midnight Poison(smell)

loulou78

It was Versace, Woman. I loved it for three days and then had to trash it. I didn't want to give it to anyone so I wouldn't smell it on them. I still cringe at the memory.
Great question! :smileywink:

gamsc

definetaley chanel no5 and lolita lempicka

bec215

Oh - I forgot Light Blue.  D&G's top seller is a dead ringer for Lemon Pledge! Ugh!

bec215

Pink Sugar is disgusting unless maybe you're 8 years old and like smelling like you bathed in candy - I couldn't believe adult women were commenting how much they love it!  Anything put out by Paris HIlton or Britney Spears is absolutely vile, but I never bought a bottle of it.

I wanted to like Thierry Mugler's "Womanity" so much... I love citrusy scents, and love the originality in the bottle - even if the 'brief' is a bunch of overblown poetic drivel. The first time I put it on, I loved the strange metallic-citrus top note, but now it makes me slightly nauseated every time I open the bottle. Oh well.  

addi

Happy by Clinique. First time I opened the bottle I got a migraine.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 82 replies
  • 98 hearts
  • 73 in conversation
    • melalah
    • makeupmichelle
    • tenngal
    • chewcifer
    • ngyl
    • katie1724