cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Fragrance Advice Thread

Fragrance Thread.jpg

Does fragrance vernacular intimidate and confuse you? Can you list 5 “woodsy” perfumes off the top of your head? I know I am personally not that gifted but I also know there are many users on BeautyTalk who live for fragrance. So I’m starting this thread in the hope that it serves as a hub for the fragrance novices and scent savvy alike to come together to teach and learn about fragrance oils, perfumes, colognes, diffusers... You name it!

If you’re more of a novice to fragrance, don’t be shy! Comment below to share which fragrances or scents you tend to gravitate toward or any you aren’t sure about. You can also use this thread as a resource to find fragrances for others. I highly suggest trying out the new Fragrance Quiz to learn a bit more about your preferences: http://www.sephora.com/fragrance-quiz?

If you’re passionate about fragrance and perhaps even consider yourself an expert, I hope you will use this space to give suggestions and advice to users looking for it. Let’s help each other out!

Re: The Fragrance Advice Thread

I've finally found my favorite perfumes (Jo Malone Orange Blossom/Peony Blush, Aerin Lilac Path, Oscar de la Renta Something Blue) but I've recently decided to make the full switch to cruelty free perfumes (never tested on animals).

Any suggestions for perfumes I might like (bright, crisp, fresh florals, dislike vanilla and too much sweetness) from any of these brands:  Le Labo, Penhaligon, Diptyque, Lush, Commodity, and Molton Brown?

You might try Penhaligons Equinox Bloom if you have a chance. I got this one last year in Europe. It *might* lean a little sweet for you, but I think it's a nice floral with a bit of something extra that sets it apart from an ordinary floral.

@Madeline7 I think you'd like Olene from Diptyque. It's my current choice for spring. Also, possibly l'Ombre dans l'Eau and Eau Rose (the latter is a lovely Rose sweetened with fruit). 

I also like Le Labo's Rose 31 (because I'm clearly a Rose fan haha). 

Oddly, I don't like Lush fragrances. Haven't tried enough Penhaligon and MB.

Thank you 🙂  Olene sounds lovely, I'll have to try that.

Oh yes, I LOVE Rose 31!  That's the only Le Labo scent I've tried - it was the hotel scent on a wonderful vacation and I brought back the body lotion.  Every time I smell it it brings me back there.  I don't usually like spice, but it somehow works in that one

I am not at all gifted enough to describe a fragrance properly, well not event major notes. For me it is just I like it or I don't like it thing. I hope to acquire some fragrance know how through this thread 😉

I was going to say exactly this, but you said it better @fatimamummy

@fairlywell You and I are up to learn something from here 😉

Hmm I'm not well versed in describing scents but I loved perfume. I think I tend to like spicy, dark scents like tom ford noir and Balenciaga rosabonatica. But I also love light scents and some florals like Stella and miss Dior blooming.

Cool thread @KatieBT! I am super picky about fragrance and definitely not one of those gifted people who's good at describing a scent. 😄

Neither am I, hoping to learn some new lingo and maybe even understand which types of fragrances I actually enjoy 😄

I don't wear perfume often but my MJ perfumes never last long on me so I looked into it. Florals generally last not as long as muskier based perfumes for some reason so if you want longer-lasting scents, go for musk. Also rubbing the perfume between your wrists actually breaks down the formula and reduces the wear time. Instead, I pat the perfume onto my skin and try to use as little friction as possible. Hope this helps someone! 

Current fave is Pop by stella mccartney. I'm living off samples for now because I have other scents to go through but it's great on my skin! Super sweet but not in an intoxicating kind of way. Like a 7 yr old barbie girl grew up on wall street kind of way LOL that's what I would describe it as. It's probably what the girl in legally blonde smells like tbh.

@IZ95 this is helpful because I wear MJ Daisy and rub it between my wrists... I had no clue I was reducing the wear time! 

Hahaha I love your description and am very intrigued to try Pop! 

Ooh, I got unique warm & spicy as my results. That actually suits me well.

My fave perfume was one a friend blended for me that was sandalwood, vanilla, and other notes. Surprisingly, it wasn't masculine smelling at all

I love fragrance! 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • Fragrance Thread.jpg
  • upload_4512335874407654360.jpg
testing