ran8

Smaller/Travel sized fragrances: Rollerball, Spray, or both?

When it comes to smaller size fragrances (can be labeled as To Go, Travel, Purse Spray, etc), do you have a preferred bottle type?  If so, any real reason behind it? 

Are there any fragrances in particular that you would prefer a smaller size to?

For some odd reason, I'm not a fan of rollerballs.  I prefer the effect of a light mist. 

I really like having the smaller sizes around.  Unless I use a sample within 1-4 months, I cannot find myself committing to buying the bottles.  So when I find a purse spray (or smaller spray) version of a favorite fragrance, I'm more willing to buy it.  For example, I have a Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue 7.4ml (0.25 FL oz.) spray that I consider a perfect size.  Plenty of product but will not be collecting dust for years.  Also easy to throw into a travel bag since I prefer lighter scents on vacation.

newtolo

Re: Smaller/Travel sized fragrances: Rollerball, Spray, or both?

I'm not a fan of rollerballs, either - mostly because they don't work! In general, I mean - the roller gets stuck and you can't really control how much you're (NOT) getting out.

This is why I freaked when I found out the Kenzo Flower "rollerball" in the store was actually...a spray! It is a great fragrance, none of that stuff in it that gives me that perfume headache and it was about the size of a regular rollerball. I just bought three rollerballs and have found I won't use them, because I prefer perfum sprays and because I can't get the product out. I don't saturate myself but I want to be able to smell it!

Like the other post I read, I also wish the small sprays were more widely available AND more reasonably priced. I also don't know how fresh they are from other fragrance stores or from discount stores. I mean, like everything else I think parfum must have a shelf-life. But I recently found out that Sephora will make you up a small spray vial (sample) of anything in the store you want to take home and wear/try yourself in real life circumstances. In-store, of course but our store has a perfume expert that is amazing. She did this for me recently with three perfumes and not only that, I mixed up the papers I was carrying around with about 5 fragrances on them. She could tell them apart and tell me the names of them just by smelling them. Amazing! The samples she gave me were much larger than the little spray samples you can get when you checkout online.

A final thought is, it is amazing how hard it is to find a fragrance one truly loves. It is an elusive endeavour - like finding true love itself. (Yeah, I know - cheesy! 'Been watching too much "Once Upon a Time!") 

lovesephoragirl

(0) Hearts
Hi I like the DKNY fragrances for travel. It looks like the perfume exactly but mini! Hope this helped!
grammarous

(0) Hearts
Hmm, good question! My knee jerk response is to say I prefer sprays for travel. But, as one commenter added, a rollerball is much more polite when applying in a public place. I too love the deluxe D&G Light Blue spray - it's the perfect size! I am always changing my fragrances with my moods, so i do love it when a smaller version of a scent is available. I love Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb, but don't wear it every day (plus it's pricy) so having the rollerball is perfect. I'd love to see Hanae Mori, Michael Kors, Givenchy Very Irresistible, Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Mandarine-Basilic and anything Miller Harris in to-go form. I'm not a fan of solid fragrances though because they just don't seem to last as long.
stepha0322

I love the price of rollerballs but I like a spray better.  I like to get a little on my clothes and in my hair when I spray and you can't do that with a rollerball.  I do like that some fragrances come in a mini purse spray but they seem few and far between.  

I recently just transfered my Stella rollerball into an atomizer and it wasn't that difficult or messy.  I used the small silver Sephora brand one that came with a funnel, unfortunately I don't really like the spray,  way too much perfume comes out.  I found a website that was selling 5 atomizers for 25$, I might take a chance and order them so I can transfer the rest of my rollerballs.  But I thought I was cool that it could be done.  :smileyhappy:

meglovperfume

(0) Hearts

yeah rollerballs to me just aren't the same as having the actual perfume so SPRAY

glamxo143

(0) Hearts

Roller : Daisy!

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts
I usually try to get a sample so I don't have to buy perfume and commit tto one scent. When I find one that I love, then I buy it.
victorirazz

I think the pros of roller balls is that they are more subtle and use less product. Sprays I do prefer because I actually smell like the perfume all over, but there are some situations where I don't want people smelling my perfume from a foot  or two away. Also, with sprays your clothes also get scented but that's a preference.

I actually like solid perfumes too (like those by Pacifica), they're mostly like rollerballs though.

glittermermaid

I buy the rollerball first, and then the 1oz. size, and then the biggest size from there. I have to really be committed to buy expensive perfume.

ssmittys

I own a lot of fragrances that are sprays, and a lot of fragrances in the roller ball form. I don't really have a preference between which one. If I LOVE a scent, then I will commit to the bottle. If I like it enough, but not quite LOVE it, then I will get the roller ball so I can wear the fragrance whenever I am in the mood for that particular scent.

The only fragrances I own in both roller ball and fragrance bottle are my two staple sents, Butterfly by Hanae Mori and Boyfriend. They smell THAT amazing :smileyhappy:

solveig

Well, I definitely like rollerballs, the only problem is that because of a direct contact with the skin through the ball the fragrances sometimes change. But it is a great way to try out a perfume before commiting to a full bottle. It's irritating that sometimes the smallest bottle they make is 1.7 oz. I haven't seen a lot of small spray versions of any of my perfumes, so I bought a few atomizers and keep them in my to-go makeup bag or just in my purse.

keibot

I, too, adore smaller travel-sized fragrances but much prefer to use a spray type bottle because rollerballs tend to collect a sediment after a while from being in contact with your skin and natural oils, or whatever body product residue happens to be on the skin the ball comes into contact with.  I hate seeing that icky sediment in a rollerball size of a lovely perfume!  It causes the fragrance to "turn" faster.  So I prefer the sprays, or even a splash type bottle I can just dab lightly onto my wrists, or a cotton swab and apply as needed. 

janinebt

Really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on rollerballs and spray perfumes! I like both, but find that rollerballs are an ideal option for numerous reasons. They're easier to carry along with you and to try a new perfume out. I also feel kind of obnoxious spritzing a perfume in public...or even in a not so public place like an office, just because people are sensitive to scents; roller balls provide a more subtle arouma when being applied. They also make for great stocking stuffers! 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ginadepaul

(0) Hearts

For some branded perfumes, you get the small tavel-sized versions too so its fragrant and easy to carry as well.

ginadepaul

(0) Hearts

I like small sprays in my purse and travel packs.

ry22

(0) Hearts

I'm fine with rollerballs. I have a Viva La Juicy one and it's perfect for my locker because I don't have to worry about sparying my male locker neighbors.

If you like travel sized mists, have you tried the Sephora Favorites Fragrence collections? They seem like they would  great for travel and a great way to try new scents.

kuhluabear

(0) Hearts

Rollerballs have an inherent problem.  Any fragerance will begin to turn just from having the skin touch it because of our body oils.  So if you want to keep your fragerance from turning, you should use a spray or if using straight from the bottle, dip in a cotton swab then dab that on you in whatever spots you like.  Neck, chest, wrist etc.  Don't reuse.  Perfunes can them last a long time and should be stored in a dark area, preferably the box they come it.  For smaller sizes that might not be a problem.

Avon and other cosmetics firms make skin softners that are scented.  I like those for traveling as they won't spill in my luggage.

When I go to the gym to work out, I have a spray mister for my fruity colognes.

melissabt

[ Edited ]

Hi Ran8,

Great feedback everyone!

I sometimes like rollerballs.  If I am not 100% sure that I will like a fragrance I will buy the rollerball to wear it around for a couple of months.  I recently bought the Escada Taj Sunset To Go and this came with a spray top. I really liked having a spray because, I felt like I could spread the product better. Hopefully more companies will come out with mini sprays!

<3 Melissa
krysszilla

I love rollerballs.  For whatever reason, I never think to freshen up my perfume until I'm back at my desk at work, or driving somewhere with other people in the car.  I feel like it's less bothersome to others and I can get the fragrance on my body and skin, instead of all over my clothes.  I mix up my fragrances often, so I wouldn't want to spray a scent on my winter coat, that doesn't get drycleaned daily, and layer on another scent the next day.  I always try to stock up on fragrance during holidays to get the gift sets.  I love having the full size, travel size rollerballs and lotion all available.  Another reason I don't like smaller sprayers is because I always get them all over my fingers.  I find a lot of the bottles also get very sticky and messy around the sprayer.  

memphislipgloss

(0) Hearts
Have to add that I bought Harajuku Lovers Wicked rollerballs for travel this summer and was delighted by all but Love! Great deal @ $15 for five rollerballs. My regular fave is Bulgari travel spray, well worth the cost for a signature scent of mine, portable & potent.
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • mangosong
    • officegal
    • ssmittys
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • nursetre