infinitise

Reaction to perfumes.. what do I do..

(0) Hearts

I've been getting these red bumps and peels on my neck for the last week or so and realized today that its the perfumes I've been spraying on my neck.. 

it stings ALOT no matter what I try to put on.. what should I do? 

mberteig

Re: Reaction to perfumes.. what do I do..

(0) Hearts

I really like Aquaphor healing ointment.  I had never heard of it before, but it was recommended to me when I had a stubborn rash and it did the trick!

Also, I would recommend not using any scent for awhile so the area can heal.  After that, you may have to try different forms to see what works for you.  You can become sensitized to anything at any time and it usually gets worse over time, so be careful and good luck!

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for the suggestion :smileyhappy: 

I actually remember seeing the ointment on random occasion :smileyhappy: 

I should probably buy one and keep them in hand just in case my ever sensitive skin flares up again.. 

I sometimes even get rashes from wearing winder scarves..

DitzCore

(0) Hearts

My favourite soothing product is Udderly Smooth creams. I used it when someone botched my eyebrow wax and tore a bunch of skin. I usually buy mine at Walmart, maybe you can find it there?

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the suggestion :smileyhappy:

I haven't heard about the Udderly smooth creams! but I will go look for it ! 

DitzCore

if you can find it I can't rave enough about of it. It was originally made to put on cow udders to help soothe cracking from too much milking, but it works just as well on humans!

knadala

(0) Hearts

It might be the alcohol or some other added ingredient that isn't natural. Maybe try a scented body oil fragrance? Whole foods has them and since they are known for their natural ingredients, it might be worth a try, also, they are very well priced.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I never heard about scented body oil fragrance! 

is it where all their other skincare and cosmetics are? 

Thank you so much for the help 

I think I'm reacting to something in body shop's perfume .. I didn't think there would be big of a difference in the ingredients but apparently there is... :smileysad: 

evno

Everyone has great suggestions! I've also experienced this with a Victoria's Secret perfume I was using. For the meantime, while the skin heals, you should avoid touching it or applying any creams besides very gentle, fragrance-free formulas, like hydrocortisone or CeraVe. Also, if you really want to put the perfume on yourself, as opposed to your clothes or hair, protect your skin with a thick, silicone-based primer. Put a generous amount on the places where you want to apply it, and then dab (don't spray, because the perfume might spray outside the primed areas).

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for the suggestions!

I wasn't sure if its the particular perfume or perfumes in general (I never had these kind of reactions but I started using retinoid .. so I thought my skin might have weakened) 

I was just putting some facial oils on them with no luck but I will try CeraVe and/or hydrocortisone! 

I never thought about primer idea but that's very helpful! :smileyhappy: 

chocopudding

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but if you really love perfumes and can't wear them because of skin reactions, I would suggest a perfume locket or brooch. They are exactly as they sound: there's a little compartment in the locket/brooch where you can put a bit of scented material inside.

So now you have a cute piece of jewelry AND you'll smell nice, without the allergic effects. :smileyhappy:

mberteig

(0) Hearts

This is a great idea!!

infinitise

(0) Hearts

oh wow I never heard about it! but that sounds cute 

thank you for the suggestion :smileyhappy: 

chocopudding

(0) Hearts

You're welcome! =)

quixotic

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry this happened to you! It sounds like you've got a case of allergic contact dermatitis. You are allergic to something in one of the 3 perfumes, but it would be hard to say which. You can not have a reaction to something when you first use it, and then wham - regular use causes sensitivity.  Sunlight can also cause some substances to trigger an allergic reaction. If it itches, consider taking a antihistimne, like benadryl.  I would recommend you use a hydrocortisone cream or ointment to combat the inflammation and to keep the skin moist.  If it is not better in 3 days, see your doctor about getting a prescription corticosteroid cream.  I hope it gets better quick!

infinitise

Thank you for the suggestions! they're super helpful! 

I haven't had a reaction to any perfumes before I started adding the body shop white musk :smileysad: 

I will try both antihistimne and hydrocortisone! its been swelling up and I was going to put a hydocortisone this morning but couldn't find it and just ended up using some oil on it.. 

quixotic

You are so welcome! I have suffered allergic reactions to certain fragrances since I was kid (remember Mr. Bubbles bubble bath? It was my nemesis!) and always have to be careful when I try a new perfume or even a new laundry detergent.  The most important thing you should put on it is a steriod cream, like hydrocortisone.   It will block your cells from releasing inflammation-causing chemicals (triggered by the allergen).  Once the inflammation is under control, then you can use a cream like aquaphor or utterly smooth to keep your skin moist while it heals.  And seriously, if it isn't better in a couple days I would go see the doctor about getting a prescription strength steriod cream, particularly since it has been swelling.  

Please keep us posted on how you are doing!

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you again for the suggestion!

My grandfather is a doctor and he happened to be over at my parents house when I got home after the exam and gave me a prescription steroid cream 

I didn't expect much but I wore it that day before going out somewhere and it was literally calmed down later that night. 

I still have redness and is using hydrocortisone on areas that are redder and just aquaphor on areas that are almost done healing and is getting better :smileyhappy: 

shortstuff07

I'm currently dealing with contact dermatitis on my lips, and hydrocortisone cream is amazing.  Took the swelling down almost immediately, and the peeling has finally stopped after a month.  My allergist's nurse practitioner recommended Vanicream for dryness, which also helped a fair bit.  Hopefully this gets better asap, I feel your pain!

infinitise

(0) Hearts

Thank you for sharing :smileyhappy: 

I really wasn't expecting any of this kind of reaction.. so I just didn't know what to do :smileysad: 

I first even thought it was from lack of sleep .. 

JayReed

(0) Hearts

I suggest getting the matching body lotion it comes with and using that on your skin and the perfume on your clothes or undershirt... and maybe hair if it's not too strong with alcohol..

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • quixotic
    • GBean28
    • knadala
    • infinitise
    • HelloCoffee