IllegallyBlonde

Please Read This before you talk about perfumes and "Body Chemistry"

[ Edited ]

I literally cannot stand when people talk about how perfumes react with their "body chemistry." This is a myth. You can search anywhere that this is a myth. You are not such a special butterfly that your "chemistry" will react with a perfume and make it smell different. It's not your "chemistry," it's *gasp* personal. taste.

In 1921, Coco Chanel was introduced. Chanel was, and still to this day is, a brand in high regard. But in the 1920's, Coco got SO POPULAR that almost everybody seemed to be wearing it. Because Chanel wanted to keep some of it's mystique, they made up the "body chemistry" myth in order to entice customers, to convince them that the scent they smelled on everyone wouldn't smell the same on them so they should still buy it. 

Is it entirely false? No, there are very very very minute differences on how perfumes may react on certain people. Is it noticeable by the everyday nose? NO.  Please look it up before you review perfumes and how it didn't react well with "your body chemistry." Just say you didn't like it. 

ShinyMagpie

Re: Please Read This before you talk about perfumes and "Body Chemistry"

I have to respectfully disagree with you and agree with the great responses here. I won't repeat what they've already said but I wanted to add that everybody's sense of smell is different as well. I have a pretty good sense of smell and pick up different top-notes etc., that my husband can't even detect. I'll often smell subtle things that he can't smell even when I point them out.

Everybody processes smell differently. A smoker or somebody that is around a lot of secondhand smoke is going to have a more dull sense of smell compared to a nonsmoker and so on. 

mychoi

I think you're One of them supersmellers. Like supertasters. That's a thing :smileyhappy:

killahbabe

I have a super sniffer! I'm a super taster as well! Also... I'm all around super!

But really I have a heightened sense of smell (which is why I can no longer stand to where any perfume at all). *sadface* I miss my perfumes...

mychoi

I wish I had any one of those things. I can sleep for super long periods of time, it that counts lol

killahbabe

It totally counts, Mychoi! You're a super hibernator! :smileywink:

opinionatedjenn

Lol!

LCResz

Yup, and there are super hearers (those who have perfect pitch) and super seers (those who possess a fourth type of cone in their retinas, giving them tetrachromacy).  

anaa

I have to agree with everyone, and a huge factor in my experience, as LCResz points out is how oily one's skin is.  My skin has gotten drier and fragrance doesn't last as long as it used to.  I also hate to admit this, but probably due to hormone changes as beethousand mentioned, as I gotten older some of the fragrances that I used to adore just don't react the same with my chemistry anymore, they smell completely different. 

nebel

If we could post links, I would post a really great description I just found by a molecular biologist about why perfume can smell different on different people.

His short answer? Because skin is different.

Skin has so many variables to it- not the least of which are temperature, sweat, fat content, etc.  All of these can vary from person to person, or even among the same person at different moments in time.  These variables will affect how perfume evaporates off the skin expressing different notes.

Others have pointed out that eaten food can be expressed through the skin, particularly garlic.  Yet another variable.

We call all of these variables "body chemistry"  because it is a convenient and reasonably accurate descriptor.

No, our "chemistry" does not differ so extremely from human to human, we're all made up of the same basic chemicals- water, fat, protiens etc etc etc.

But we are not closed systems, and we are very, very complex systems.  

So, skin is different. 

FireSpinner

I kindly disagree. I'm very picky about my scents, so usually it'll smell even better on me then in the bottle.The smell changes from when it's in the bottle to when it's on my skin. So I would say it's my chemistry, not my *gasp* personal taste. If my personal taste could change the way things smell, then farts would smell like roses, for example.

ShinyMagpie

Mine smell like glitter. :smileyvery-happy:

jaimelove

OMG ARE YOU A UNICORN?!?!

ShinyMagpie

Shhhh. :smileywink:

:smileyvery-happy:

Cookie2.jpg

quotidianus

Is that unicorn poop?  Hurrah!  We served unicorn poop at my goddaughter's 8th birthday.  Needless to say, she was thrilled.  Unicorn poop=magic.

jaimelove

my farts DO smell like roses, ijs. 

ShinyMagpie

farts.png

I_Fart_In_Your_General_Direction_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

BeccaBelle

[ Edited ]

I'm not disagreeing with the whole personal chemistry thing, but couldn't the reason your perfume smells better on you than in the bottle be because the alcohol base/solvent has evaporated? Normally the solvent is what makes perfumes smell gross to me in the bottle.

daeidre

Yes, the solvent will affect the smell of a perfume in the bottle. That's why when you spray it it's best to wait a bit for the alcohol to evaporate before you sniff. I've worked in fragrance and it's amazing how many people spray and sniff with no waiting time, then complain that the perfume is no good.

FireSpinner

That's very possible. I guess it's probably a combination of several things/factors in the end?

aviscardi

Lol yup. There have been many times where I found a perfume to smell much better on than in the bottle. Or why is it that it may smell better on someone else than you. It's not because of personal taste lol.  It reacts differently without everyone's skin. 

kalex

It's definitely not a myth that fragrances can smell different from person to person.  I think Katie, Ladymeag, and LCResz covered the hows and whys quite well.

I also think it's worth pointing out that science in 1921 wasn't then what it is today.  Chanel may have thought she "made up" body chemistry, but she turned out to be quite accurate really.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 383 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • killahbabe
    • chupi
    • anaa
    • aviscardi