fabme

Perfume Retail/Aromatherapy; how to please yourself & others?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Do any of you wear perfumes that your partner/kids/coworkers do not like? I'm trying to be strong and to keep/wear the perfumes that I personally like, but find that I shy away from a favorite after a negative comment.  For example, I've come to really like Dior Hypnotic Poison, but my partner does not like it :smileysad:

Yes, I wear lighter skin scents such as Nest dahlia and vines, which is unoffensive fresh and floral, but I want my Poison too!!!

What scent do you wear that you love but others do not like?  

spoiledbrat

Re: Perfume Retail/Aromatherapy; how to please yourself & others?

Not all of my favorite Annick Goutals come in the butterfly bottles, thankfully I guess. I want the red butterfly bottle but I do not like the fragrance.  They have some amazing fragrances. If you are new to Annick, you should know the difference between the EDT and EDP is the most significant of any brand I know.  Some I prefer the EDP and others I only care for the EDT.  You honestly need to try both versions before you decide. They are also fragrances, where it is wise to wear for a day or so before deciding. As the layers unfold on some of the scents it is intoxicating to the point you will actually love certain stages more than others.  If I had to stick with one line of fragrances, it would either be Annick or Bvlgari? Tough choice.

It really does not cost that much to smell like heaven IMO, worth every penny. Enjoy trying them. Once you get your first Annick, you will want more....and more....Then there are the scents only available in Paris! :smileyhappy:

LadyInWhite

I've never tried Annick, but Bvlgari is pretty tough to beat.

wendyomgwar

I only have Petite Cherie!! All the other ones I've smelled so far I didn't like :smileysad:!! 

I want to smell more, but other than Nordstrom's I've never seen it anywhere else!

LadyInWhite

I hear you.  My closest friend had a really tough pregnancy, and scents of any sort make her throw up.  Literally, we'd be walking in a parking lot, pass someone with a hint of perfume, and she'd have to stop to vomit.  I went scent free for 9 months because I wanted to support her, but it was dreadful.

That said, I don't think I could give up my Hypnotic Poison permanently :smileysad:  Maybe you two could go shopping together to find a scent you both like and wear that when you'll be physically close to him, and wear HP the rest of the time.

fabme

Yes, I'm still wearing what I love!!!  If I find something in the Creed line or Bond 9 with a really high price tag he'll probably like the HP more :smileyhappy:.

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

This is true.  Pretty sure if I ever told hubby, "fine, I'll get rid of that bottle but you owe me $94 plus tax" he'd change his mind.

spoiledbrat

If that is the case, then go for the Creed, Annick Goutal, and Bond.  That way if you do not like the fragrance or agree, you will have gorgeous bottles for your vanity!  Neiman's has a line of beautiful bottles, but IMO the fragrance falls short!  Try away!  The Annick Goutal butterfly bottles are available at some Neimans, and those are gorgeous bottles with glass stoppers.

fabme

WOW, went online and saw the beautiful bottles.  I've heard of Creed and Annick Goutal, now I need to smell them!!!!  You have expensive taste!!!!

spoiledbrat

b/c i feel undressed w/o fragrance and i get migraines often, i would not wear a fragrance i do not like to please someone else - there has to be something we can agree on :smileyhappy:

totally agree that Sunflowers is horrid; smells like bug spray

Fresh Life smells like a great everyday or summer fragrance....IMHO

fabme

Hi Spoiledbrat,

I don't have any fragrances that I don't like, however it's wearing the fragrances that I do like that others close to me don't appreciate... But you are right, I must be able to find something that both the husband and I do like:smileyhappy:.  hence, the search will continue, this will cost him!!!!! lol.  Secretly, i think hypnotic poison is growing on him.

BrennaBombshell

Sunflowers. :smileysad: It's always been my favorite scent, but I find that other people think it's too strong. Now I'm using Fresh Life and have only had good comments, but when I'm home alone, I like to spritz my Sunflowers around to bask in the lovely, lovely scent. :smileyvery-happy:

fabme

I'm excited to hear about Fresh Life as I have one coming in the mail from my last order on Friday as part of a promotion!!!  Hopefully you were able to get one too.

Urbie

Excited to get mine!  I don't really do perfume, but Fresh Life sounded like it might smell nice and not be noticeable unless you are right next to me.  My personal rule of thumb for scents is- I want to catch a whiff of it when I hug you hello and goodbye, but be able to sit next to you without smelling your perfume.  I think that is part of the mystery and allure of wearing a perfume- because you just catch a little when you lean in, it makes you want to smell it again.  If I can smell it from across the room/table/desk no matter what the scent, I don't like it the perfume.

BrennaBombshell

That's exactly how the Fresh Life is for me! If I walk quickly past a group of people, they won't notice it, but if I lean in close, they catch just a tiny whiff and usually ask what I've got on. I don't want to smell anyone's perfume from across the room, whooooosh. That's why I like the Caudilie Divine Oil too. It's super moisturizing, has a really, really light scent, and if you're up close and personal, that's the only time anyone but you will be able to smell it. 

Urbie

Good to know!  Thanks BrennaBombshell.  Excited to get my sephora box now :smileyhappy:

BrennaBombshell

(0) Hearts

I actually got the sample as part of the regular Pick 3 Samples thing a few weeks back. It's wonderful! I think it's one of those perfumes that smells different on everyone who wears it, but it's very light. On me, the notes that stick out the most are the grapefruit and magnolia, and I couldn't be happier with it! I get a lot of compliments when I go out, which makes my day. I'm not big on perfumes, so I try to avoid anything too musky or heavy, and this is perfect for me. When I run out, I'm definitely going to buy the full size. I also really love Kate Spade Live Color Fully. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 20 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • spoiledbrat
    • wendyomgwar
    • fabme
    • Urbie
    • LadyInWhite
    • BrennaBombshell