DoctorsMrs

Grandma Perfume-- Please Explain This Description

Reading through the posts here on BT I often come across posters using the description "grandma smell" or "old lady perfume" when describing a scent. It's starting to concern me a bit because I really don't want that to be the thought that pops into someone's head when they catch a bit of my perfume.

I wear mostly newer scents by Armani, Dolce&Gabbana, Marc Jacobs, Vera Wang, etc.. But I also have some classics in my collection like YSL Opium, Chanel No19 and Chanel No22.

So my question is-- if I wear a fragrance that's been around longer than many Grandma's do you think of your Grandma when I walk by?

At 26, that's not my goal when I get dressed in the morning :smileyhappy: 

Should I ditch the classics and stick with the new stuff?

tashalicious

Re: Grandma Perfume-- Please Explain This Description

Don't worry about it, i think you have to add a little BenGay, with a sip of Jack Daniel's to achieve the perfect grandma smell.  :smileyhappy:

JenBlush

I tend to like those "old lady scents" but I dont buy them because there come a time for those!! haha! 

DoctorsMrs

@mrsstory, @nebel, and @mafan--

Thank you for adding your comments. I'm loving the conversation that took off here.

also-- so many of you mentioned how unpleasant it can be when a fragrance wearer is overly aggressive with their application. Hopefully this message gets out and does some good  :smileyhappy:

mrsstory

I've been following and thinking about the scents I like.  I only like a few scents, and I don't like strong scents.  I have a hard time walking through Ulta, because the smells are too strong.  Same thing with the beauty area of department stores.  Lots of newer scents really bother me, but I think it's because people wear too much.  I don't want to smell someone from several feet away, and certainly not after they've left.  I think the scent should come around from close quarters, and invite one to get a little closer.  But that's just me. 

I'm 40, and I've loved Shalimar since I was in junior high.  I probably bought my first set 27 years ago!  Such a lovely scent, and my husband loves it, too.  But some might consider it an old person scent, because it's been around so long.  Many years ago, a cousin from Japan gave me some Rosarium (Shiseido Japan exclusive).  Normally I avoid flowery scents -- it's a headache waiting to happen.  But Rosarium (as I remember it) was such a pure rose smell.  I still have one bar of soap tucked away.  I haven't found another rose scent quite the same. 

Don't worry about impressing others.  Be considerate and don't wear too much.  Just a hint, inviting us to get closer if we like it!  :-)  Wear what you love . . .

nebel

I think scent is so subjective.  I was just looking at the reviews for one of my favorites to recommend it to another poster- Tocca Cleopatra- and to my surprise a bunch of people kept describing it as "Grandma" or "old lady" 

Scent is closely linked with memory, and I think our associations of what smells like "Grandma" or "Old Fashioned" varies greatly from person to person.  Fragrance is so personal- not only do we like different things, the same perfume can smell completely different on two different people because of our different body chemistries.  I know I can always recommend perfumes that I love on me, and there is a chance the person I'm telling it about will loathe it!

mafan

I agree completely.  Scent is so personal.  I have some that are stronger and more mature (Guerlain Samsara comes to mind), some that are fruity (I'm wearing DKNY Golden Delicious today) and I love florals, too (Like Gucci Flora, Lancome La vie est belle, YSL Parisienne). 

But what smells good on someone else might not be good on me. I like Shalimar, but I don't like how it smells on me.  (I am so glad when DH was looking for something years ago he couldn't find Shalimar and got Samsara instead; it's much better for me.) And I'm probably the only person who can't wear D&G Light Blue. It's truly horrible on me.

But I think if we associate things with our mothers or grandmothers, maybe that makes us not want to wear them ourselves.  So maybe the next generation will hate the types of fragrances we're wearing now and thing they smell like their mothers or grandmothers!

LadyInWhite

Just adding that I can't wear D&G Light Blue either, which really bugs me because my mother used to wear it, and it reminds me of her and Christmas.  Biologically I'm 50% her, yet it smells almost rotten on me.

nebel

My mother wears Chanel Allure and it smells bad on me!  

DoctorsMrs

....but that's also one of the nicest things about fragrance too. Since it smells different on everyone we all get (and give off) a unique experience.

melde

Hehe, I love rose-scented things, and people have accused me of being grandma-ish, but I don't mind! :smileywink:

lylysa

I recently got into rose scents about a couple years ago. I'm a die hard fan of Issey Miyake's Florale perfume which has white woods, lily, and mandarin to balance out the rose and keep it quite light and more modern!

I just can't stand scents where it's just ROSE, ROSE, ROSE, ROSE, ALL IN YOUR NOSE! :smileytongue: Too much of any one note is just that...too much!

melde

Oh that sounds so pretty! I'll have to check it out!

lylysa

It is! It's such a pretty and light scent. You can definitely identify that it has rose when you smell it, but you get to smell more than just that. It's got a sheer, transparency to it that makes it very airy and dreamy!

I started making it a part of my regular perfume rotation when I started dating my bf over a year ago and he loves it! Every time I would see him he would hug me and take a big whiff and give a relaxed sigh. He always compliments me on it and when I'm not wearing it he notices, once I start wearing it again he's always like "Oooo, you're wearing the rose one!" :smileytongue:

Another good, modern rose scent is Bond New York's I Love New York for Mothers. Though it's on the pricier side, it's so beautiful and actually reminds me of the IM one I love. It's a touch longer lasting due to the musk and hint of amber, but it shares similar aspects of lily, tangerine (got some type of orange citrus in both), and sandalwood (whitewoods in the IM one, but both share a slightly, soft woody note).

DoctorsMrs

@lylysa--- you certainly know your fragrances :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Thanks! I'm a all around beauty junkie that likes to get into the nitty gritty of ingredients and individual notes! Fragrances can be a hard thing to grasp, but knowing what basic notes smell like and how they're used to evoke mood helps greatly! :smileyvery-happy:

DoctorsMrs

I always love reading your contributions. 

For a long while I only wore ONE fragrance (Armani Code for women). I had this notion that I should have a signature scent and I totally stuck with it. I've just recently started branching out and I'm amassing quite a collection but I'm very much in the learning stage. Just last week I finally looked up the word sillage. 

lylysa

Finding the notes in the scent you love and wear as your signature is great to help identify fragrances with similar notes to where you're not veering off entirely, but still able to get something different!

Ooo, if your signature scent is Armani Code, check out Hypnose by Lancome if you haven't already. They both share notes of vanilla and jasmine sambac, but Hypnose doesn't have the citrus and orange blossom notes to it.

Givenchy's Ange Ou Demon is one similar to AC but a bit more complex. It has mandarin and vanilla but it uses lily, orchid, and ylang-ylang as it's floral heart. Rosewood and moss give it that earthy, woody scent, and in AC it's sandalwood that gives it that base.

Something traveling in those lines but also with a more refreshing take is Givenchy's Ange Ou Demon Le Secret (which I also wear and love). It's got jasmine sambac and white woods (keeping in touch with your AC's jasmine and sandalwood notes), but uses cranberry and green tea for it's lighter, airier notes rather than citrus.

DoctorsMrs

@lylysa-- thank you so much for these well thought out suggestions.  They all sound fabulous and very much right up my alley. I'm going to check them out ASAP. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

melde

Oh that sounds gorgeous too. Um, I don't even need more ideas on what to buy with extra points coming up, haha.

DoctorsMrs

@melde,  I have a few scents on my list for extra points too.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 102 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • prettyinpa
    • wendyomgwar
    • aviscardi
    • lylysa
    • mafan