dpepe

Fragrances Dangerous to Others?

Recently I saw several signs throughout a medical facility regarding not wearing any fragrances and that it is dangerous to others.  Of course I was wearing fragrance that day and apologized to the doctors and nurses.  Has anyone else seen these signs and do you believe no fragrance signs will be posted in most places, like no smoking signs.  Being a fragrance addict, I don't want to stop wearing my favorite fragrances.  Pass on your thoughts. 

Ellie123

Re: Fragrances Dangerous to Others?

(0) Hearts

Hi

I have never ever seen one of those signs! I think that its your body you should be able to smell like what you want to smell like. So what if others dont like it they are not the ones wearing it. I dont think those signs will turn up in more places, I have never seen one and what if your wearing a fragrance in a place that has a no fragrance sign? its not like you can just take the fragrance off your body.

Hugs and hope,

Ellie

dpepe

(0) Hearts

I agree, Ellie.  Like that day, I already had fragrance on so I didn't know what I should do.  Thanks for your response. - Denise

missjess87

(0) Hearts

I have seen these signs throughout hospitals. I also being a fragrance fanatic, I wear perfume every single day and find myself re-spraying myself throughout the day. Sometimes with what I put on that morning, sometimes with something else that is similar, but different in itself. I dont want to sound rude, but I dont think that I should have to stop wearing something that I love because someone else is allergic to it or has a problem. To me, that is like me telling that person that they should wear a face mask to keep themselves from having to smell it, sneezing etc... whatever the case may be.

shellbug72

(0) Hearts

Let me begin by saying, hi, my name is Michelle and I AM a perfumaholic..." OK, now In re to putting a mask on to not smell it..Smells and get through masks. Yes if this was only reason(smell) I would be less, dare I say, passionate, about this topic. However, being a RN and hearing how many different places have the "anti-perfume" signage, schools and hospitals..I will add again there are chemicals VOC's (I believe that's what the chemical is called) in perfumes cologne's etc that can set off an allergic reaction which could be anything from sneezing or hives to anaphylactic reaction which is life threatening if not treated in time. There is much more to this than a courtesy. Believe me I get the love fragrance thing I do as well. Lotions can help so you can still smell your fragrance and believe me when I say fine fray lotions stay on and can smell all day, if one is not allowed to wear at work etc. Then after work finish layering. I personally only refrain from frag if I'm going to be some where cannot wear it. I hope the brings better clarification and understanding.

nightknight

(0) Hearts

Personally, I do not wear strong smelling products while I work. I work in a pharmacy, and many people who walk up and talk to me are people who are ill, have ill children, etc. A strong perfume is something I do not enjoy and can understand how it's probably not something you'd want if you're already feeling horrible. I get nauseous easily, and perfumes agitate my senses. Now, don't misconstrue me, I'm not against wearing perfumes, I love fragrances. But I believe, like most things, perfumes are best worn in moderation.

korbyn

(0) Hearts

Fragrances can be a danger to others.  I went on vacation a couple weeks ago and bought a Lush perfume.  It's called Lust.  My dad is really allergic to some flowers and scents (yes, i'm under 18).  He was sneezing and could hardly breath or be around me.  He still had to take me to my ice skating lesson. 

dpepe

(0) Hearts

Where did you get this perfume, Lust.  I've never heard of it.  I'm sorry your dad had an allergic reaction to it.  Poor guy.  What type of artificial perfumes do you think would not have an adverse reaction to those who have allergies?

cricket29

When I was in labor, ready to have my daughter, I was already very nauseous. The labor nurse had a heavy perfume on that made me even sicker...to the point where I had to ask her to wash it off. She refused!! She also had nail polish on, which I think is inappropriate for a labor nurse (thought I was alone in this opinion but finding others feel the same.). I vote no perfume in hospitals, particularly among the staff.
lipglossjunkee

(0) Hearts

I know that certain strong fragrances can cause migrains in people who are sensitive.  Other than that, I'm not sure.

d2star

(0) Hearts

We have this sign in our school kitchens and in children's play areas. I believe this is because some children are easily irritated by scents and smells and that could result in asthma etc.

Also sometimes people who overdo it are just unpleasant, especially when you're in a kitchen setting and there are so many aromas swirling around in the air.

My solution is to never put perfume on when going to a new place until I've been there and made sure perfume is allowed.

I do pack a pocket perfume so that during the day I would spritz myself if allowed =)

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Oh gawd, yes to no-body-odor, especially for boys. I have so many guy friends, some of whom are so friendly and brilliant at work. I love working with them, but they smell like high school jock's laundry basket. It's terrible when they sit next to me during meals, I have to count to ten, get up politely as if I'm done with the food, then sit elsewhere where they won't see me.

By the way, I find spraying perfume on clothe helps. When I spray perfume on the clothe the night before wearing it, the only person who can smell my perfume during the day is me and whomever decide to hug me. That is if you like wearing perfume for you and not for other people to smell.

kssweetheart

Good Answer!!!! When I walk through the mist of perfume that I spray I do try to get my clothes as well as my hair, but, I never thought of doing my clothes the night before. I love to smell good for me too, I don't just wanna feel yummy and sexy for someone else, I like to smell/feell that way for myself. Thanks for the tip, I'm gonna try it right now!

glamournut

Hello. This is a good question! Here is another angle, but it does tie in to the allergic reaction:

My personal experience occured with a professor at college who had severe asthema and couldn't be around anyone wearing any type of fragrance, including scented lotions and deodorants. If anyone put even one spritz of cologne on, she would have to be taken away in an ambulance. It was scary.

kssweetheart

This really is a problem for many people. Personally, there are many scents that  trigger headaches ranging from minor, annoying and relatively short-lived to severe long lasting migraines. In our last home I always knew when my future sister-in-law had arrived - I would be in my bedroom, which was in the back of our house, and three full floors away from the front door and I would get a headache and even become nauseauted. (Very often I would have no idea she was even coming so it wasn't just mind over matter) Her perfume was not inexpensive either, just toxic (to me) I also met a woman who would become totally disabled and frighteningly ill when she came into contact with a slew of perfumes, scents and chemicals - she couldn't even work in an office. It was really sad, she was so nice, a real people person.  I have a big problem with fragranced products, especially things like face lotion, and even worse, lip products! AAARRGGHHH!! Really aggravating since I am a lipstick/lipgloss junkie. Minty products work best for me, YUM. I imagine it would be hard to police something like no perfume zones, interesting though to see how it all plays out. I really liked one of the previous comments about having no body odor zones. YES! (Although I imagine there are some people who can't help it) So, the short answer, Less Is More. Just be aware of your surroundings, use common sense. I know it's hard, I LOVE my Oscar de la Renta EDT, and hate not wearing it. Admittedly, although I am sensitive to so many scents, it's hard to imagine that anyone could be reactive or just not like my 'Oscar'-  I kinda feel like a brat sometimes, I wanna wear it, I have to remind myself not to be so selfish. I have known a number of men who LOVE my signature scent, it totally drives them wild, and I want my fellas to think I smell dellish and it makes me feel sexy. Try carrying some with you. That way if I know I'm going somewhere that might be potentially problematic I don't put any on when I get ready. Then, later, when I know it's safe, I will dab some on or try to walk through a light misting (making sure I get some in my hair -which I have found extremely....well... effective) That way, hopefully, everybody's happy. (HHHMMM....think I need to start using my 'Less Is More'  advice when it comes to my responses/posts) Hope this helps.

dpepe

Everyone has such great input.  I definitely learned that less is more.  That seems to be the best answer.  I do like to smell my fragrance especially depending on what type of mood I'm in but it doesn't mean that an entire house or office needs to smell me.  There was one time that I overdid it with Clinique Elixir.  It's a very strong unique scent.  I wore it so often that I became immune to the smell and overdid it.  I happen to be covering phones during our receptionist's lunch break and applied the lotion.  Big Mistake!  When our receptionist came back she became ill and had to go home because of my reapplying my lotion.  I was so embarrassed.  Needless to say...I don't wear that one anymore.  It is a nice scent, you just need to spray only once or walk through the mist. 

ran8

As the others have said, it is the mainly due to the environment of the medical facility.  Allergies are a key part as to why as well as not covering up any smells.  Sometimes the sense of smell is used to diagnose a problem or condition. 

They also say no cellphones in waiting areas but that one seems to be ignored most of the time. 

In working conditions where flames are exposed, bad ventilation, or in tight corridors, it would probably be a good idea not to wear fragrance either.  Some workplaces put a no fragrance/cologne in place due to employees overdoing it or in regards to those who react to them adversely.  

As for a no fragrance signs out in public, I highly doubt it will go to that extreme.  If there was such a rule, there would have to be a sign next to it saying no body odor as well. 

The general rule of fragrance is wear a small amount for a hint without overpowering the area.

waterbaby1981

Sorry to tell you this, but if you're going to be in a medical facility and they have signs saying not to wear fragrances, then you don't wear it, simple as that.  More people than you think can be allergic to certain things in perfumes, just like many people have different food allergies.  The fact is, you don't know who's allergic and who's not.  Then there's the fact that there are people on ventilators as well.  Just like they want your cell phones turned off, they don't want you wearing perfume.  It's not similar to dress code...it IS dress code, especially in places like ICU and NICU.

My husband works for the state here and they have a strict dress code not to wear cologne/perfume.  One of those people that's allergic is in his particular office.

I understand you don't want to stop wearing your perfume, but if you're going to be spending any length of time in a medical facility, you're going to have to not wear it.

dpepe

Thank you for your input.  I agree with you, not to wear fragrances in a medical facility.  This was the first time I saw a sign like this and was curious to see if other have seen signs like this.  I understand people have allergies and reactions to certain fragrances and accordingly, if I know, will not wear fragrances in front of those people.  Again, thanks for your reply.

ChicDabbler

well, some fragrance have ingredients that some people are allergic to and if you are close and wearing too much, may cause harmful reaction I suppose. However, "no smoking sign" is impossible since you can't really go out, put it on, wait a while, then take it off and come back.

I don't think there will be a commonplace regulation for it, altho it will probably become common curtesy to not wear too much or at certain places, like how dress code are unspoken but understood in some places.

korbyn

(0) Hearts

Scents that have artificial fragrances are less harmful to people with allergy's.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • lipglossjunkee
    • glamournut
    • dpepe
    • shellbug72
    • d2star
    • waterbaby1981