ShinyMagpie

Fragrance you've bought (or not) because of a sample?

Which fragrances have you bought or want to buy and/or or not bought because of a sample you received?

Would buy:

• Dolce & Gabbana - The One. Got this recently as a sample and love it. Really good staying power but not an overpowering scent. 
  • Dolce & Gabbana - Intense.
  • Guerlain - La Petite Robe Noire.
  • Dior - like pretty much all of them.

Won't buy:

• Escada - Especailly Escada. Didn't like it on me.
  • Marc Jacobs - all of them. I like most of them but they do not last on me. I really liked Dot and Daisy but they just don't last at all. 
  • Atelier Colgne - Orange Sanguine. I liked the orange scent of it in the bottle but on me it smells like potpourri
  • Prada - Prada Candy. Loved it but it doesn't last on me.
  • Clean - all of them. Smell too much like household products to me.
  • Marchesa - Marchesa Parfum D'Extase. Didn't like it on me. 

carrieloulou

Re: Fragrance you've bought (or not) because of a sample?

Atelier Vanille Insensee.  I fell in love with the sample and got it for my birthday.  I think it will be my signature scent. 

Would buy--Tocca Margaux

1Emily

I have only bought two perfumes, but they were definitely because of samples. The first perfume I ever bought was the Dior Eau Fraiche perfume, and I love it to death. I'd had like 5 samples of it before I actually bought it. Then I just recently bought a roller ball trio of Marc Jacobs' fragrances at TJ Maxx, and I'd had one or two of those as samples before. But samples are definitely the way to go. I have a little collection of mine that I keep on my vanity and try out every once in a while. I have to say there are some I really hate though... like Prada Candy. I love the Atelier Orange Sanguine! It just smells like pure oranges. I'm not sure I'd ever buy it, though.

sbowden

Oh gosh reading through these has made me realize that I have literally NEVER tried a sample prior to purchasing anything.  I just sniff and buy.  

I'm really liking Valentina at the moment so I will probably purchase that at some point down the road, and I also like MJ Daisy but I have Tocca Violette so I feel like that'd be violet overkill so we shall see.  

sbowden

Oh, and I will NEVER EVER EVER buy Fresh Sugar Lemon.  I wasn't expecting a household cleaning product, sorry Fresh.  

1Emily

(0) Hearts

Have you smelled the Fresh Sugar Lychee? I want to smell it so bad.

sbowden

(0) Hearts

Nope, never have! I'm curious, does Sephora sell it in stores?

jrah822

Amen to that. Pledge is NOT a perfume, Fresh.

HelloCoffee

I also bought the Escada Cherries because of the sample I received....I love it, but yea, I hurried too because it's limited edition

sugarkenzie

I bought Escada Cherries on Top this past Friday and I don't even normally wear fragrances.  Just wanted to have it since it's limited edition...

calamityjane85

bought:

balenciaga florabotanica ( whew what a mouthful)

Hanae Mori Butterfly

Escada-Especially Escada

Marc Jacobs honey and dot

lyravega

[ Edited ]

I got the sample of Thierry Mugler Alien with my last purchase, and I'm in love!!! I am so buying it for my b-day! Love, love, love it! Such a beautiful scent, and it lasts all day! Incredible staying power! It's perfect! Where have you been all my life?! :smileyvery-happy:

DTalksAll

Spicebomb. I got a sample of it last year & have been obsessed ever since. It's my winter scent. My boyfriend also likes it want to get it for himself, I told him we are not allowed to smell the same & I claimed it first :smileytongue: Flowerbomb doesn't smell right on me, but Spicebomb is just perfect 

shoppiturt

Bought Prada Candy L'Eau because of a sample.<3 I'd also buy Dior J'adore, Gucci Guilty and Flora and D&G Light Blue.

I actually haven't met many fragrances I didn't like at least a little bit, so none I wouldn't buy come to mind atm.~~

MaryAnn19

Just bought Prada Candy because of a sample.  Absolutely love it.  Also did the same with Tocca a few years ago.  I'm quite picky when it comes to perfumes, some give me headaches so the samples are super important to me.  Interesting to see all our different tastes!

Suiteheart

[ Edited ]

Katy Perry's Killer Queen.

I went into Sephora after I had just received an atrocious hair cut and I went to drown my sorrows by spending money at Sephora.

The SA who was helping me cheered me up so much, and as I was leaving he chased me out the door to give me a sample of it saying I'd love it.

He was right. I did. I bought it.

I love getting samples of perfume - it's really the only way to persuade me to buy it. Especially since I'm allergic to a certain fragrance (I know as soon as I get a sniff)

I really like a lot of the Versace perfumes (I'm saving up!). I got a sample of a cologne by them and I'd almost buy it to wear for myself...

LindaDD

Samples are so important before buying. For some reason, my body makes fragrances either lean too sweet or makes them sour (ugh), so I definitely need to try before buying.

Bought/will buy:

Pretty much every Tocca scent. I think I already have half of them.

Atelier Orange and Rose perfumes

Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire

Chloe L'Eau de Chloe

TF Violet Blonde

Won't buy:

anything by Fresh (smells like cleaning products to me)

Escada Cherry in the Air (sweet, and then faded to nothing in about 5 minutes)

Flowerbomb (so overwhelmingly sweet it gave me a headache-- I rubbed my wrist with alcohol, showered, and still had to keep it as far away from my nose as possible for the next 24 hours)

Miss Dior (smelled musty to me, like I've been holed up in a moldy library basement)

Hanae Mori Butterfly (again, way too sweet)

Coach Love (smells sour on me, like I went to the gym and forgot to shower)

...and way way more. So many people love these perfumes, and if not for the samples, I would have had to learn the hard way that they don't work for me.

BeautyLove02

Great idea for a thread!

BeautyLove02

Did buy: Versace-Yellow Diamond, Marc Jacobs-Oh Lola, Chanel-Chance (Macy's), Givenchy-Play for him

Will buy: Marchesa- Parfum D'Extase, Gucci Premier

Won't Buy/ Hated: Victor & Rolf Flowerbomb (reminded me of my ex-mother-in-law's perfume..maybe that's why?), Tom Ford-Violet Blonde (ughh on me), Escada-Especially Escada

Not Sure Yet: Lancôme la vie est Belle (some days Ilove and some days not so much.)

*It's interesting to see everyone's different tastes in scents. Someone's 'definitely/did buy' is someone else's 'no buy/hate'

IttyxBittyxMe

So far Marc Jacobs Daisy is the only perfume I like, but it doesn't last as long as I want it to or I just get use to the scent, I can't tell. But with other perfumes, I normally either A) Smell the alcohol in them and it's over powering to me or B) They're to strong. I like light, pretty scents, nothing to strong as it doesn't take much for my nose to be over powdered, I've just yet to find another one that I like. (I'm also happy to take recommendations).

When it comes to cologne, I like YSL L'Homme Gingembre and will probably be getting it for my boyfriend for Christmas, or no probably, I will be. I also liked the Intense from that line, but a not more then Gingermbre. It goes back to, I dont like overly strong musky smells. But that may just be because I have two teenage brothers who were in love with axe in their younger years and as a result, musky scents are a BIG turn off.

Loretta55

In my striped VIB bag from August I received a sample of Hanae Mori Butterfly. Shortly thereafter a Sephora Favorites Kit came out with Butterfly as a choice. I have already purchased 3 of those kits. I just ran out of Butterfly so I purchased another during VIBTOPIA. Only 1 of the sets will be a gift. The other colognes that come to mind are Armani Code, Gucci Rush, Michael Kors, and Gorgio Beverly Hills. A gripe that I have is that I wish these manufactures would not try to improve upon the original scent. I have purchased in error more than once the incorrect scent.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 74 replies
  • 124 hearts
  • 55 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • mangosong
    • itscarin
    • DTalksAll
    • hydee77
    • anaa