Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Isn't sampling so fun 😄

I find even TF Ombre Leather a bit too leathery haha. I prefer softer sweeter ones with some iris in them, like Parfums d'Empire Cuir Ottoman and Cuir de Lancome. 

I found recently that Aedes offers a sample service. One sampler set is $15 for 7 samples, and shipping (Fedex Ground) is $12.5. You can request any perfume sold by Aedes(they have a well edited selection), and you are encouraged to add extras in case some are not in stock.

I ordered two sets, for 14 samples. I received 12 of my original selection and 3 from my backup list. At $42.5, it comes down to around $3 per almost-1ml dabber vial. This is a good deal if you are interested in trying expensive scents. I am pretty pleased with my haul and am looking forward to spending a few weeks sampling them all 😄

Spoiler

This is what I received:

Aedes Iris Nazarena

Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose

Serge Lutens Borneo 1834

Olfactive Studio Lumiere Blanche

Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque

Serge Lutens La Myrrhe

Serge Lutens Mandarine Mandarin

Serge Lutens Chene

Serge Lutens Boxeuses

Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Naomi Goodsir Cuir Velours

Frederic Malle Iris Poudre

Naomi Goodsir Iris Cendre

Aedes de Venustas signature

Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles 

I'm not a frangrance junkie by any means but I seriously love the CLEAN Reserve Skin. The only way I can think of describing it is "deliciously comforting". It settles down quite fast but leaves a nice gentle scent behind.

Has any Canadian lady see the holiday Byredo set in store? Holts online does not have it 😞

Just got an email from TF about Velvet Orchid Lumiere?

Screen Shot 2016-11-23 at 3.30.42 PM.png

I'm not clear whether it's a new bottle or a flanker scent??

I tried TF's Bois Marocain re-release today and was quite disappointed. While I like the incense-cedar mix, it has the weakest performance of any TF fragrance I've ever tried... It lasted 4 hours on my skin, weak projection. Has anyone here had better luck with it?

@pocketvenus I haven't had much luck with it either, but IIRC that was one of the issues when it was released the first time.

That's a pity! At the price point, one would hope for a little more longevity...

quick question: are the Clean Reserve the same scents as the originals just in different eco-friendly packaging?

The new Replica fragrances are at The Bay!

I found a link on Bois de Jasmin about why scents don't smell the same depending on the wearer/occasion/spraying method etc. This would be old news to many here, but I enjoyed reading the simple and clear explanation 🙂 www.madsci (dot) org/posts/archives/nov2001/1006805763.Gb.r.html

For those interested in Pinrose, they offer personalized bottles! I may get my sister one for Christmas!

image.png

Two new scents from Etat Libre d'Orange!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Fragrance descriptions.

Spoiler
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks for this! I hope the de Sade exemplifies the house's avant garde spirit!

I'm wearing the newer Mitsouko reformulation on one wrist (post-2013), and vintage parfum on the other. It's interesting because the new version is still going strong while the vintage parfum has nearly all disappeared!

The newer one has mellowed out perfectly by now! I find it's a little tricky to love at first, but the dry down is DIVINE. It's like an elegant woman in autumn, wearing a camel-coloured cape, and leather bag. (Or perhaps, that is just how I like to imagine myself while wearing it 😉 )

Mitsouko (newest reformulation) had incredible staying power on me and was still quite strong despite taking a shower. It is lovely!

Was debating whether this is more appropriate for this thread or the deals thread, but here it is:

For Bond No.9 perfume fans, Saks has a somewhat decent GWP-- if you purchase a 3.3oz perfume you get a pocket spray of your choice. What makes it a bit more interesting is that the glitchy system allows you to add 5 different sprays (because you can use up to 5 different promo codes), not just 1. Normally for a GWP promo like this Saks would program the codes so that only one can be applied per purchase, but I guess they forgot to do that this time. 

FYI, the most inexpensive 3.3oz I found was Little Italy or New Haarlem ($265). 🙂

(Sorry, BT won't let me reply to my last thread)

moon504794947_2_Detail.jpg

DANCING ON THE MOON

Imagine the defiance: a lone dancer robed in white swirls gracefully across the dark side of the moon beneath a spotlight, their ethereal moves casting pale shadows on the lunar landscape. In one hand a bouquet of opalescent white flowers shines with a mineral glow. 

Composition

Dancing on the Moon is a bright and powdery fragrance that balances an immediate lift of aldehydes and moonflower notes with an explosion of natural white jasmine flower. As the perfume evolves, the infusion of warmer notes of ambergris, musk and vanilla round out the fragrance’s creamy heart whilst accentuating its crisp minerality. The result is an unapologetically optimistic scent that surges with harmonious counterpoints of floral and mineral elements, for a truly unexpected trip. 

Notes (pulled from Barney's, where this is available for purchase): 

• Top: Aldehyde, Moonflower
  • Middle: Sambac Jasmine, Frangipani Tree, Iris
  • Base: Cashmeran, Accord of Ambergris, Musk

Thanks so much for sharing all these pics and notes! I admit I was a bit disappointed by Replica's original releases because I was expecting something more cerebral (like the brand’s clothes). These four sound like they're trying to appeal a little more to the niche fragrance market; I hope the fragrances turn out to be more risk taking.

Dancing on the Moon sounds promising... Flying sounds a little odd, it’s both a “sunny” and “icy” chypre lol?

There is a 4th that is (to me) much less exciting lol.

flying 504794945_2_Detail.jpg

FLYING

What else but the impossible? The human desire to fly remains definitively out of reach: an ultimate high that thrill-seekers everywhere aim to capture for a split second of ecstasy. It is a blast of icy fresh air, like Icarus - too close to the sun. Dare to escape gravity (from hot air balloon to hang glider) and embark on an epic adventure in the sky.

Composition

Flying is Maison Margiela’s aromatic ‘trompe l’oeil’ – an airy citrus cologne with the endurance and structure of an Eau de Parfum. Built on a crisp, seductive base of musk, moss, and an aerial accord, this chypre-style fragrance peaks with svelte notes of bergamot, orange absolute and neroli blossoms through a heart of almond and ylang-ylang. This fresh, sunny scent reaches atmospheric new heights – wings not included.  

Notes (Again pulled from Barney's, where all of these are currently available)

• Top: Bergamot Essence, Petit Grain Essence, Orange Flower Absolute
  • Middle: Almond Flower, Ylang Ylang Essence, Neroli Bigarade Essence
  • Base: Musk, Moss, Arial Accord

Found more info!

sands504794941_2_Detail.jpg

ACROSS SANDS

Be seduced by the road less travelled: enter the mirage and perhaps you will find an extra-terrestrial oasis. Fruits and flowers bloom amongst the dunes, thriving in the dry heat and the endless expanses of desert. As night falls on the caravan trail, merchants tell dangerous tales of the Silk route - their words shrouded in mystery and darkness. 

Composition

Across Sands celebrates the Oriental tradition of a daring ‘oud’ fragrance softened with warm earthy notes of dates and cinnamon. The suave, fruity concoction is lifted with liquorice, osmanthus and divana flowers on the deep woody base of oud, patchouli and incense. This heady cocktail of spices evokes an otherworldly mysticism for a voyage into the undulating hills of one’s imagination.

Notes (pulled from Barney's, where this is available for purchase):

• Top: Blackcurrant buds, Pimiento berries, Moss Accord
  • Middle: Cistus Concrete, Sap Accord, Fir Balsam
  • Base: Incense Oil, Patchouli Oil, Indonesia Atlas, Cedarwood Oil

Funny, I don't see Oud.

testing