Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Where is the Oud???  Love oud!

A Typo????  Same description as Soul of the Forest.

@Libellules

From Fragrantica @Libellules @wheeeee

Across Sands by Maison Martin Margiela is a Woody Spicy fragrance for women and men. This is a new fragrance. Across Sands was launched in 2016. The fragrance features agarwood (oud), dates and spices.

@wheeeee I think Barney's messed up...

thesandsCapture.JPG

yes!  This is what I was telling you.  A typo.  

I am reading scrolling down and thought the same.....Where is the Oud?

Then I read Forest next and saw it.  

New Margiela Replica scentsimage.png

@veronika23

soul 504794931_2_Detail.jpg

SOUL OF THE FOREST

The spirits of nature belong to some of mankind’s oldest mythologies. Does the forest have a soul: a dryad skipping through the trees, perhaps? An invisible presence vibrating in the very peripheries of our human awareness? Shapeless, silent, and untouchable, the soul of the forest sings a soft melody of tree song, tasting of the sweet sap of the gods. 

Composition

Fresh and vivacious, Soul of the Forest is a bright and aromatic green fragrance resplendent with lively notes of sap and vetiver. Lifted by a sprinkling of spicy and sweet top notes from fruity blackcurrant to pimiento berries, its woody heart is rounded by the leafy twigs of ‘cistus concrete’ and fir balsam in harmony with base notes of Atlas cedarwood, incense, and patchouli. Rooted in an earthy, vegetal sweetness vibrating between sap and bark, this verdant fragrance personifies the forest - instilled with all its natural, woody depth. 

Notes (pulled from Barney's, where this is available for purchase):

• Top: Blackcurrant buds, Pimiento berries, Moss Accord
  • Middle: Cistus Concrete, Sap Accord, Fir Balsam
  • Base: Incense Oil, Patchouli Oil, Indonesia Atlas, Cedarwood Oil

Thanks @Libellules I read they came out Sept 26th??? I wonder if Sephora will be getting these. @candacebt @KatieBT do you know?

@veronika23 Last year's releases (By the Fireplace was one of them) started as Barney's exclusives. They did eventually become available at Sephora, but I believe that it took several months.

@Libellules thanks for the info!

ohhhh soul of the forest!!!

Oh YAY! Across Sands sounds most promising! I'm seriously curious about Dancing on the Moon O.O

Interesting!! I'm intrigued by these 😄 

I found the thread I was looking for!! 🙂

So I'm planning to purchase my first Byredo. Does anyone have recommendations? I never sample from the brand, but I've been trying to compare the notes to other fragrances that I like. Are there any fragrances inside Sephora that are similar to the Byredo ones? Wished I lived closer to a store that carries the brand! Honestly feel like choosing between Mojave Ghost and Gypsy Water. 

I'm currently using Jo Malone Wood Sage & Sea Salt. Usually I just wear my current favorite until I get sick of it. I think the last fragrance that I really liked was Daisy Dream.

Both Mohave Ghost and Gypsy Water are easy to wear, slightly ambery-sweet, modern fragrances but I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Daisy Dream so I can't make a comparison.

A lot of the Byredos have a velvety, mellow texture to me despite the “cleanliness” of their scents - think canned peaches - and Mohave Ghost has that fleshy density to it. This is in spite of the peppery notes (peppers, juniper berries, spices) you'll see in many of their frags. There's no textured, piquant burning like Luten's Bapteme de Feu or the fizzy sparkle of Malle's Angelique Sous La Pluie for example.

If you like MG and GW, definitely try the new release Unnamed, which has a similar, sweetish floral vibe. I’d also recommend Baudelaire for the same kind of muted sweetness, but if you’d like something darker/edgier.

One word of warning: I'd test the fragrances on your skin for performance. When considering the price tag, some Byredos do not last long enough on me - they die down to a skin scent within the hour, it can be disappointing. I've read online that others have had this experience. Of course, how someone else's skin chemistry holds a scent may be different!

Thank you @pocketvenus 

I definitely like lighter easy to wear fragrances. Pretty sensitive to smell, so I don't like anything overpowering. I'm positive I feel this way because I remember my father always douse himself in cologne. Even now he still does it. 

I was considering Unnamed, but maybe somewhere down the line I'll purchase it. Thanks again!!

You're most welcome and good luck!

I love, love, love Mojave Ghost!!!!!!  Just bought a full sized bottle during the Barney's Love Yourself Event.

Mojave Ghost very slightly reminds me of Daisy, but it has a cleaner, more powdery and musky scent.  I really pick up the magnolia scent, too - it reminds me a lot of the magnolia tree my neighbor used to have in his front yard - he brought it here from Louisiana in a little bucket over 50 years ago and raised it with love because his wife was homesick after they moved here.  My neighbors and the tree are all long gone now, but that story was so sweet and I think about it whenever I smell magnolia.

I bought Mojave Ghost based on samples I received during the spring Barney's event.  The only other fragrance I've tried from Byredo is Rose of No Man's land, which is also very nice, but I'm not really a rose scent girl.

I was trying to remember where I saw the Mojave Ghost, now I remembered that it was your post @Tamara76 

Thank you so much for your input! During my search, someone commented that Gypsy Water smells very similar to Tocca Colette. I was planning to adventure to Sephora to sample it, but if Mojave is a similar to Daisy, I'm all in!

And thank you for such a lovely story about your neighbors. Sounds like a sweet man.

Mojave Ghost is like Marc Jacobs Daisy only much better and more expensive smelling. More grown up and sophisticated. JM Sea salt and wood sage is one of my all time favs so I hear you. I have not smelled Gypsy Water yet thou and I am dying to. 

Thank you so much for your input @aydasu

Now I'm excited about Mojave Ghost! I purchased the JM discovery set when it was posted in the Deal thread and out of the three fragrances I received, Wood Sage was my absolute favorite! It's a fragrance I would never pick out for myself, but so glad I have it!

And as I mentioned in the comment to Tamara, I read that Gypsy Water smells similar to Tocca Colette, so maybe give that a try. I know that Sephora carries it. 

thank you! i will try colette next time i am in sephora. I hope byredo puts out a discovery set for holidays that has both mojave ghost, gypsy water (and bal d'fraque too because i heard it is fantastic!).

3 Replies
testing