Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

oh wonder went/if we will get this! Thanks for the pics @Mochapj hoping you are enjoying yourself and finding plenty of goodies!!!

@veronika23 I have my doubts - I don't think we've gotten any of the 'luxury' line at Sephora (at least in Canada)

I've bought a few of the 10ml bottles from them direct.

having a great time, thank you! I went to etat libre today!

image.jpeg

Thanks for the info @Mochapj!  Hope you enjoyed Etat Libre and you'll share with us all your goodies when you come back!

@veronika23 there seems to be hope yet that we might see the new JHAG scent in Canada.

I was at a store on the weekend and they had 2 of the 'luxury' line scents, which is definitely new to the display 🙂

Thanks for the update @Mochapj 🙂

oh i love the name, and the listed notes. JHAG has generally always left me wanting by just an iota. but i'd definitely want to get my nose on this !

That is one of my fave nin songs @jemly 😉

That is also how I feel about JHAG - it smelled nice but I was already covered in SL so I couldn't try it on. 😞

it was quite woody!

Ooh that sounds good.

Tom Ford has 4 new green based scents coming for fall, apparently harrods exclusive for 3 months; vert d'encens, vert fleur, vert du bois, vert boheme

image.png

I made a trip to the Serge Lutens palais royal today to test out his new scent, Bapteme du Feu.

will upload some photos of the boutique later for the SL fans, but just wanted to say BdF is a really gorgeous ginger scent.  

More thoughts to come...

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

😮 Do those engraved bottles cost a small fortune? That second one is stunning 😮

Those weren't for sale @Libellules those are just displays of the previous releases of the palais Royale bottles that they put out every year.

Ah, gotcha!

I was at Sephora near my hairdresser today and found out that they carry Serge Lutens...I was thrilled because I'd been dying to smell the rose scents.

I tried Sa Majest La Rose and La Fille de Berlin...I really, really like Sa Majest BUT the dry down smells like Burberry Body!! The rose, after 3-ish hours, is completely gone, and now I'm left with a softer, mellower version of Body...

nd.13324.jpg

I'm trying out Olfactive Studio's Chambre Noire, and I feel positvely stinky. Not necessarily in a bad way, just that I probably should be draped in more furs and diamonds 😉

I loved how this one smelled sprayed on a blotter. I am afraid to try my sample on my skin now, lol. 

I felt the same about CN @lipstick4soul. It smells so nice on paper, but it smells so gross on me.

plum notes turn so nasty on my skin.

😞

image.jpegThere was some discussion on London beauty destinations in another thread but this seems a better place to post. 

I did a bespoke session at Bloom and below was what I ended up with.

the process is to start with a vision of what you are going for (informal brief I guess?) then smell a series of base, heart and top notes and choose what ones you want and in what order. 

I wanted to create something that reminded me of London and my grandmother- Eileen. I was actually more curious about the process and impact that certain notes would have in relation to each other.

i am not sure their process would result in anything wearable most of the time so it might need work. I still would totally recommend it for the perfume junky because it was fascinating. 

The perfumer "guiding" didn't disclose the manufacturer (IFF or something similar, I guess) of the raw materials. They didn't say so directly but it seems they are like Legos for brands posing as genuine "houses". In theory, each "note" is a long studied blend of chemicals that give a certain result- "melon" is the super common cucumbery "fresh" note. Some like "peony" can't actually be extracted directly so an approximation is constructed (like gardenia etc)   It was fascinating to smell these on their own and totally worth the price of admission all by itself.  

Edit:adding picture of the box of my 8ml result. Sorry picture looks odd and sideways. App on iPad behaving oddly. 

@lipstick4soul it sounds like such a fun experience! And the fact that you have a custom fragrance to remind you of your grandmother (and London) for always is so special!

Has anyone tried out the new Chanel Les Exclusifs Boy? I loved it. My SA at Saks gave me a sample of it. It's different, unisex, but definitely worth checking out if you like the notes and are a Les Exclusifs fan.

Notes include lavender, rose geranium, lemon, grapefruit, rose, orange blossom, sandalwood, heliotropin, vanilla and musk. NST calls it a masuline 'fourgere' accord...that's beyond my perfume knowledge! I didn't find it masculine myself. It reminded me a bit of Burberry Baby touch.

And the name is just too cool...

I tried this yesterday and wasn't a fan. I should have taken notes because I tested so many things they ran together. I was really surprised because I thought I would based on the notes. To me, it lacked the typical Chanel cohesiveness  Maybe there was some patchouli hiding somewhere? It's a note I don't enjoy on myself.  

1 Reply
testing