Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

i want a train case! I hope i can get one of the Sephora ones at a deep discount at some point.

I keep mine in small candle jars with lids (like dalidyli's, they fit perfectly upright). They are separated by "frequently used", "nice but never really wear" and "not a fan".

I try to keep ate least one vial of the ones I don't like. Mainly for future reference. Also because more than once I've tried something again months later and changed my mind.

I'm planning on transferring all the multiples of "frequently used" scents into purse atomizers. soon.

i also try to keep at least one vial of stuff i am unsure about. it's become a big pile now.. i need to go through it, but i keep getting new stuff to try on that i am infinitely more excited about. Maybe that that's a sign i need to just get rid of the old stuff.

i also have small piles of 'like' scent vials (like enough to save them, not enough to purchase FSs) that i need to merge 🙂

I'm pretty ruthless when I sample.

i'll try a scent the first time and make notes on it.  Based on my first impressions it either goes in a bag of stuff to pass on, or a cardboard drawer thing I have, where one drawer is stuff I need to retry, and another is stuff I want to purchase at some point.

i make a point to try and go through those drawers every few months so it doesn't get out of hand.

I should be more ruthless:) I do a similar initial sorting, but i hold on to too many things. My 'to give away' pile is also growing- i forgot to 'donate' them to Spry's box 😞

I just pulled out my 'to retry' drawer this morning when I was looking for a specific something to retry.

i need to count it, but I'm estimating about 50 things in there, so I'm planning to start retesting again so I can whittle it down further

eta: crap it's 67; more than I thought. I better get testing 😄

Anonymous Insider

When I first get them I spray and decide if I will use it or not. If not it goes into my mom or sisters pile of things I destash. 

I repurposed bath and body works candle jars for my samples. I have it set up into seasons with fours jars and lids. Samples fit perfectly standing up in them. They do multiply but my system seems to works and since I spray sample right away it keeps me to four jars. I toss a couple vials in my bag a week for when I'm out and need a fresh spray. 

Reusing candle jars sounds like a great idea. I need to make mines visible but in a neat way, not in a pileup 😄

I have to say Im impressed.  My husband took my 4.5 year old twins perfume shopping for me for mothers day.  They went to my Neimans (he knows the name of my SA), and got some advice there, and apparently the SA set up about 6 different scents for the boys to smell on paper, apparently they both agreed immediately and I ended up with Jo Malone Dark Amber and Ginger Lily. 🙂  Im going have to go ask my SA what that experience was like!

They have great noses!

My husband swears they both agreed immediately.  Ill have to ask my SA if he remembers what else he had them smell, since I find it amazing.  Does anyone know here at what age fine scent discrimination develops and refines?  I had assumed that like taste it changes as we age. 

I do love the scent, and now Ill treasure it always, especially since smell is the most emotional of the senses. Since I can't wear perfume to work (in medical field) Ill have it for years, so Ill make sure to wear it to all their special events.  I already have a bottle of perfume their father bought me in paris on our honeymoon. 

That is so sweet. It does make me curious about sense of smell in children. My son has favorites of mine. I'm going to ask him to elaborate on his thoughts tomorrow!

I don't generally blindbuy fragrances, but I just received one that I did, and it is too delightful not to share.

From the fairly new perfumer Gri-Gri, I purchased Ukiyo-e.  I am marinating in it right now, and I am in heaven.  

It has the roasty rice smell of genmaicha tea (a fave!) blended with the astringency of cherry blossoms and yuzu.  Has some other background florals (fragrantica tells me heather and daphne).  

I've just noticed they categorize it as a mens scent, and not that that ever mattered to me, but I disagree.  Although if I wasn't married and I met a man who wore it, I'd probably have to marry him 😉

I received some samples of their other scents with my order, and I'm now very excited to smell them!

New line from Jo Malone. Looks like it could be pretty incredible.

Untitled.jpg

I'm intrigued yet disappointed.  I really want a milk tea scent: black tea like Assam with milk and maybe a hint of cardamom and ginger.  
I will def make a trip out to smell all of these.  I might have to get the Oolong.

I would love to have a sample size set of these scents! All of the descriptions sound so beautiful!

that certainly would be a lovely trial set, they all sound like something worth trying

Wonder if they'll have something like lapsing douching lapsing souchong or Russian caravan!

ETA: how is that ok but sn*tch isn't?!

@Libellules NSTPerfume blog posted that the collection would include the following:

Darjeeling Tea ~ with black tea, jasmine, freesia and davana.

Golden Needle Tea ~ with Yunnan tea buds, leather, spices, sandalwood and benzoin.

Jade Leaf Tea ~ with sencha tea, sesame seeds, pomelo and frankincense.

Midnight Leaf Tea ~ with pu-erh tea, vanilla, labdanum and guaiac wood. 

Oolong Tea ~ with oolong, bitter cocoa, tobacco leaf and tonka bean.

Silver Needle Tea ~ with white tea, bergamot and rose.

I wish there was something like lapsang souchong! 

OMG @Libellules your spell check is out of control 😄

LMAO oops

testing