Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Bwhahahaha!!! 😄 😄

Oops :x

Earlier this week, L'artisan Parfumeur announced they had redesigned their bottles.

It looks like they have a new fragrance coming out too:

Screen Shot 2016-05-04 at 11.37.01 AM.png

Ooh, I need a sample! The bottle doesn't look too different though or is it just me?

@vchotia the bottle shape is the same, but all the bottles are now black glass and black stoppers, apparently.

@Mochapj Ah, ok. Hope they aren't charging more for their "redesign."

Is there a board to request samples that I liked but others didn't?  I loved 2am kiss but can't afford the big one. Wondering if I could have anyone's Play sample.

So I had a sample made a while back of the Derek Lam 2am kiss... It sounded amazing and right up my alley in the description and smelled amazing on the card... I tried it out yesterday and it's absolutely awful on me! The caramel faded incredibly quickly and all that was left was the salt and a very sour musk. It smelled like legitimate BO on me and I felt so awkward at the office in it! It's one of the times where I was upset that it was so long lasting, I literally could not get it to go away. 

Me too! Awful stuff really and its was described so romantically. Such a bummer.

I'm really not a fan of the Derek Lam fragrances. I think I actually tried the same one you're describing on me and it was AWFUL. Long lasting, but long lasting unappealing scent. Did not smell like it was very good quality either :x.

I'll take yours if you haven't tossed it 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Anyone know how similar or different Demeter's Paperback fragrance is from Commodity's Book fragrance? I have a sample of Commodity Book and just tried it today and it is a very intriguing scent. It is unlike anything else I've smelled before and I kind of love it. I can smell dust, worn leather, old paper and a hint of mahogany. It has a slight sweet quality on me as well. I'm just wondering if the Demeter one is similar to the commodity version if anyone is familiar with either of these.

They're entirely different. Demeter's is more powdery. Actually, almost a baby powder fragrance. It's not terrible, just, IMO, not very paperback-y. Book is definitely more true to the name. 

Anonymous Insider

Thank you that is super helpful! Looks like I'll be buying a full size of the Commodity Book. I love it and would be disappointed with a powdery scent as the Book scent isn't powdery on me at all.

I was wearing Eau des Sens today and my dental hygienist couldn't resist it. She kept going on about how great I smelled. I think I found a winner 🙂 

A subjective Orange Blossoms x3 comparison:

- Jo Malone Orange Blossom: a neroli + orange blossom combination. I get way more citrus than the flower. After a bright, juicy opening, it is rather linear, but a little more complex than the usual Jo Malone line. 

- Diptyque Eau des Sens: like the entire orange blossom tree has been distilled into a perfume. The center is definitely orange blossom, but it is surrounded with green/twiggy/earthy/spicy notes that keep the scent fresh in spite of the lack of juice/fruit.

- Serge Lutens Fleur d'Oranger: this is the most orange blossom focused. To me there is none of the fruit or the tree present, just the delicate flower, with a white floral (jasmine/tuberose) background that seems to enhance the orange blossom scent without overpowering it.

I like all three, but in ascending order. I might spring for a a FS of Fleur d'Oranger 😄 

YAY! I'm so glad you're enjoying Fleur d'Oranger! And that of the 3 it is your favorite 😛

Diptyque Eau des Sens sounds like I need to pick up a sample though 😄

I really really like it. So glad i got it from the tsb 🙂

I am trying Gris Clair today, and oh my the incense..! It is like a pale, cold mist. The name is so appropriate. I was surprised because i was expecting mostly lavender, but this is different and fantastic.

..FragranceNet here I come 😉

So glad you love Gris Clair.  It's one of my most favorites from SL.

I find it incense and lavender and mentholic.  Sometimes I think it's probably 'best' suited for winter, but I love it so much I can't help myself from wearing it year round. 😄

if i remember correctly you piqued my interest in Gris Clair in some other thread 😄 I wonder how it'd be like in hot weather..

The best way I can describe it in hot weather is breathy, which I'm sure makes NO sense at all 😄

3 Replies
testing