Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

Jo Malone has a new LE: Nashi Blossom. Nashi is asian pear. It is not on the brand website yet, but available at Nordstrom. I stopped by a counter today and got a small sample. According to Fragrantica, top note is lemon; middle notes are pear blossom and rose; base note is white musk. I didn't get lemon, but lots of crisp pear juice, some rose, and a white musk undercurrent. I will test this for a bit but i may spring for a small bottle. The scent is fruity happiness, and the bottle design is so pretty 🙂 

jomalone)nashi.png

*picture from NST blog

@TriesToBoClassy how was the wear time on this? I like english pear and freesia but it has zero lasting power on me. White musk is one of my favorite scents so I'm intrigued!

@BaseballMommy l tried it again today! It was still going reasonably strong after 4 hours, but now (6 hours post application) i have to really sniff right from my wrist to be able to smell it. As Jo Malone fragrances usually are, it is lovely during the first 30 minutes then it's a slightly boring linear scent.. I am still debating whether I want a 30ml bottle. The bottle is so cute and the first half hour is lovely, but the rest is meh.

Thank you @TriesToBoClassy for your reply! I checked my other perfumes and burberry brit sheer (which I have the large bottle of) has nashi and white musk. As cute as this bottle is, I think I'll pass and love the one I have.

The bottle is so cute. I'm willing to buy this if the scent agree with my body chemistry 😉

Jo Malone's English pear and freesia is my favorite, all I absolutely must go to Nordstrom to try this out this weekend! That bottle is adorable!

I've been stalking this! The bottle is so cute and I love pear as a fragrance note!

Try this! You might love it. I haven't sniffed many perfumes with pear notes, but really like JM English Pear & Freesia. I tested both side by side, and English Pear & Freesia's pear is warmer, golden. Nashi Blossom's is crisp and juicy in comparison. They both seem to represent their particular varietals very well. (..or i may have been conditioned to detect such differences based on their names..:P) Different enough to justify owning both IMO 🙂

I remember some talk about the scent of tomato leaves in fragrances based on the new Stella McCartney scent Pop. Not sure if it was this thread or another? My sale order came in today with the Pop rollerball! It's a very pretty scent and the tomato leaves are prominent, but not overwhelming. So pretty and different! I paired one of my favorite hand creams with it, Davines Anti-Aging with Tomato, Olive, Walnut and Almond. I'm completely intoxicated!

I have been curious about Pop but i haven't seen it in store yet! This sounds intriguing..

Fans of the perfume line from Aedes de Venustas, their newest perfume is finally available for purchase! 

Name: Cierge de Lune

Scent Muse: Selenicereus Grandiflorus, a type of night-blooming cereus that opens only one night every year or every few years

Top notes: Crystalline accord 

Middle notes: Vanilla absolute from Madagascar, pink pepper, black pepper, ylang ylang

Base notes: Suede accord, insense, ambre, musk  

Parfumeur: Fabrice Pellegrin

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The inclusion of peppery notes seem to be the artistic interpretation of the parfumeur, as I don't recall its presence from the fragrance of the actual flower. But then again, I might be wrong;  it has been a while since I smelled the flower from my grandfather's botanical collection. 

I do remember, vividly, of 1) being unimpressed as a child by the prickly and contorted posture of Selenicereus Grandiflorus when it was not in bloom, which is most of the time and 2) the slight annoyance of my grandfather as he tried to explain to an impatient child the ephemeral but extraordinary beauty produced by the "ugly" cactus.

Watching the flower of Selenicerus Grandiflorus bloom, however, is a magical experience. You will see the flower opening and closing in real time since the window of pollination is around 1 to 2 hours. And perhaps due to its hurried arrival and departure, the flower attracts night-roaming pollinators by producing the most bewitching scent that is difficult to capture in words. The fragrance is at once light and penetrating, a combination that is a delight to sensitive noses but difficult for parfumeurs to replicate. Imagine a mix of the following for a pale approximation of the scent: 

1. The airiness and subdued sweet flourishes of the pale minty flesh of a cactus fruit 

2. the first few hours of a blooming Belle of India or Grand Duke of Tuscany jasmine, when the blooms are at the height of the fragrance arch. 

Grace Coddington is coming out with a fragrance?! "A collaboration with Comme des Garçons, the peach blossom, white musk, and amber crystal–spiked Moroccan rose absolute is the latest olfactory touchstone in Coddington’s storied career"

After reading a couple articles, I find it hard to be excited about the scent itself (as much as i admire her, she doesn't seem that interested in perfume, and she literally says "i have some level of name recognition, might as well cash in"..eek) though the bottle is adorable, as is the cat GIF and other sketches.

Spoiler
Screenshot_2016-04-12-08-37-39-1.png
Screenshot_2016-04-12-08-41-04-1.png

Screenshot_2016-04-12-08-39-57-1.png

Hey beauties!

I hope I am in the right kinda threat but have you ever tried Scentbird? I am just looking for some reviews and wondering if you think it is a good idea.

Depends on why you want it. Personally, I like ScentTrunk better.

I just thought it would be fun. I never heard about ScentTrunk. I am going to look that up right now. Thanks!

Just read that Diptyque is coming out with a new scent:

Screen Shot 2016-04-06 at 12.37.53 PM.png

it's come out ! i wrote about it briefly down below. it's an orange blossom bomb. if you love orange blossom, it's a dream. if you hate orange blossom, stay away. 

...Orange blossom is spicy and woody? Oh my :x

frankly that description mystified me. i mean, i love a feminine floral on a man and highly encourage it, but it seemed very feminine to me, and the orange blossom overpowers any wood and spice that's in there, imo. 

fragrantica doesn't even list woods or spices. just orange blossom, angelica, bitter orange, juniper and patchouli 

(i think it's a must-try for orange blossom lovers, or people who maybe grew up around orange trees and would get a nostalgic kick out of it.)

I sometimes think of juniper in the realm of 'woody' notes - although more in the piney/resinous type of woods @jemly

oh yeah absolutely. and i lovvvve juniper in fragrances, too. but i didn't really notice it in this one........

1 Reply
testing