Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

For all the Canadian fragrance junkies, one of my favorite boutique perfume stores (Etiket) is having a Valentines sale this weekend.  

You get 15% off with the code LOVE2016.

I was so excited because I managed to grab the 2 full bottles I've been lusting after but had been waiting to receive their birthday promo code.  I had some Ebates money too, so I ended up getting them for 'free'! 🙂

I also asked them to send me some samples of the new Atelier Orient line 😮

Today I knocked a sample vial of Black Opium off my desk and it broke. Now my beauty room smells yummy:)

Is it me or does it initially smell like Starbucks? 

You're right it kind of does smell like Starbucks lol

LOL, I did that with a travel spray of one of my favorite L'antichambre perfumes last year.

The perfume melted the epoxy on my vanity top, but it smelled so lovely for 2 months 😄

Oh no about your vanity:/

At least the smell is great, imagine if it had been a perfume we didn't like lol.

So I was looking at various fragrance notes and there was one that listed milk along with a bunch of other things...

I swear when I read "milk" I thought of what the back seat of my aunt's car smelled like after one of my cousins left his lunch in the car including a thermos of milk. (quietly does the cat horking thing but sans hairball outcome.)

Milk. in perfume. ugh. 😛

Haha omg I had milk left in my car once, and it was awful!

It is a smell that should but cannot be un-smelled. 😛 Nobody wants to be in an enclosed area such as a car with that smell, and all 4 windows would have to be rolled all the way down to get partial relief from it but that never got rid of the stink entirely. 😉

Haha. It took a few months but it finally went away. No one would ride in my car lol. I always had to drive with the windows down to air it out. A lot of air freshener was purchased that year

My aunt and mom are both anti-fragrance, everything they buy is unscented. Most of the time I'd be ok with it, but others...like in the case of the sour milky smelling car...not so much. 😛

i saw somewhere in the abyss of the atelier rose anonyme reviews that someone said they thought the fragrance smelled different when sprayed vs. dabbed. they also said they thought they were crazy for it.

BUT IT'S TRUE !! i have the DS of rose anonyme, and just got the travel spray. i find the DS, the oud comes through much stronger, whereas the spray the bergamot and ginger are much sharper and at the top. the drydown is the same, it's the initial experience which differs slightly.

the reviewer mentioned that she just unscrews her bottle and dabs it and it goes back to the DS/dab version. i haven't tried this yet (as i don't prefer one version over the other, really) but it suggests it's not a different formula.

Anonymous Insider

Yes, I have noticed spray vs dab/rollerball is completely different. Then the life of the scent is different if it is on a very hot part of your body. Then the humidity of the day. Which means there are some scents that here in Florida I can only wear for four months out of the year when the humidity is under 60%. scream.

Fascinating!  I'm glad to know that.  I only have the dauber.

Absolutely agree. I find the same to be true for Tom Ford's Noir Pour Femme. I found that when I was dabbing it on from my sample vial, it was positively intoxicating. Whereas spraying it...I pick up different notes and it's a bit overwhelming. 

I only had my samples in the mini sephora sample sprays hut I'm wondering if there is still a difference because I bought the full size and I'm finding it a little strong and overwhelming. But, I wore it for a few weeks from the samples... Grrrrrr. I wonder if the top can be unscrewed - or maybe if I spray onto a cotton ball and then apply. I want to go back to loving it 😛

Anonymous Insider

Yes, you can take the top off of those pre-made sample vials easily. I use needle-nose pliers to grip the plastic spray neck, and a roll of the wrist away from the vial will pop the top off the glass vial.

The SA bottles where they make the sample vial for you are even easier to pop off without any tools at all.

I actually meant my full-size as it seems to spray much heavier than my little sample sprays 😉 but thank you cause I have a small bottle I was thinking of putting all my MMM beach walk samples into

Anonymous Insider

Most of the stopper/sprayers are removable in a similar fashion (most brands with your fingers, pliers might only be required for a stopper that has been stuck with a lot of dried oil). Then you can get syringes to decant from  the FS bottle's tube.

You could always spray the bottle into a beautiful dauber bottle and continue to use it that way?

That totally makes sense, and I think it holds true with most perfumes, actually.

Spraying will aerate a fragrance, which can cause certain volatile compounds to interact differently than dabbing, which is essentially a lighter version of spreading oils.  Also, the volume dispensed in either method can vary greatly.

2 Replies
testing