Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

I haven't had a chance to smell any of the new scents in the collection. Do you have any favorites?

I've only sniffed them and I preordered from NM. I tried the Nasturtium & Clover on my wrist. It smelled like a sweet and more potent Nectarine Honey Blossom. I also liked Carrot & Fennel and Wild Strawberry and Parsley. I didn't think any of them smelled too herbal. the Sorrel one is too lemony for my taste.

I love Nectarine Blossom & Honey. Will have to give Nasturtium & Clover a try!

My note has changed these last few days. The creamy and indolic components that i know are present in the perfumes elude me. As a result, perfumes with a creamy base that normally balance out things smell harsher, and those with a dose of indole -which is sometimes too much for me- smell a lot cleaner. TF Santal Blush would be a prime example of the former, TF Jasmine Rouge of the latter.

I remember having the same nose last September, then during most of winter i was able to pick up on the creamy/indolic aspects a lot better. It's still winter but now i am reverting to my earlier senses.. or maybe my nose is just tired because i sniffed quite a few scents over the last few days? Anyway, I find this a little disconcerting. I miss the creamy notes of Santal Blush 😞

Anonymous Insider

It might be because of the heat and humidity change this time of year. If you want to test that, make a note in your perfume diary to try again in June or so.

Cooler temperatures will make the silage of normally short lived notes extend out. Warmer temperatures will usually make notes project farther and louder, etc.

Yes, that is how i explained to myself the difference between last september and winter, but this time it is weird because the weather hasn't really changed- it's still winter, cold, mostly dry. But i will note the differences and come back to them later.

I am actually excited to see how i perceive the scents will change as the weather gets warmer. I should do a better job of keeping notes 😄

It could also be a change in skin pH, or in your body hydration. All those things can affect how perfume smells.

Thanks Mocha! I was pretty dehydrated so that may explain part of it. I notice the difference even when i am just sniffing a bottle or sample vial, so the skin ph probably has little to do with it. 

Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia....oh my, this one I love.

There are quite a few online sources that indicate this is soon to be discontinued, and so I have a question...If you found a fragrance that was totally perfect for you but was going to be discontinued, would you choose to buy or keep looking for your 'signature scent'? If the fragrance was intended to be the only one in rotation for the long term would the decision be different?

The way I answer questions like this is to ask myself whether I'd be terribly upset if I never got to wear a fragrance again.  

If I can't imagine not being able to wear it anymore because it was discontinued, that usually means I like it enough to invest in bottle, whether for rotation or as a signature scent.

I think the fact that you describe it as totally perfect for you answers your own question 🙂

I think I'd be terribly upset if I didn't get this one while the window is still open (and the fragrance is still being sold at a number of stores rather than only on  Amazon or eBay for a jacked up beyond belief price.)

I've fallen for fragrances only to have them disappear from stores and websites a few times in the past, the worst times were when there wasn't any warning before it happened. I like the Aerin Lauder Gardenia Rattan too, just wish the bonfire at the beach part of it stayed longer and like isn't the almost obsessive love I've got for the EL private collection T&G.

But thank you for responding! 🙂

Another day another decant trial

Gucci flora - gracious tuberose

This one could easily be mistaken for one of any number of fragrances out there, probably the 'floral blend' factor. Of course it is a discontinued scent so maybe I should just be thrilled I wasn't thrilled with it? But the longevity is...extreme...like I'm going to take a shower pretty soon to get ready for tonight but am super happy because it also means I won't have to keep smelling this fragrance much longer. 😛 I've had it on just over 6 hours and it's still going strong.

Never thought the act of moving on to yet another trial scent - even if it requires a long shower - would be so relieving. 😉

I had a sniff of Jean-Paul Gaultier's Classique today because I heard it resembled my favourite (and discontinued) Jo Malone scent - Vanilla and Anise. Meh, not so much, unfortunately. 😞

I still have 4 more decants to audition but have thoughts on the couple I have gotten to test out the performance of.

Van Cleefs and arpels collection extraordinaire gardenia petale - longevity problems but the main note does clearly smell like gardenia...for a little while.

Aerin Lauder Gardenia rattan - the initial scent reminded me of nighttime visits to the beach where someone had a bonfire going, with the gardenia developing into its more typical full bloom fragrance taking over that smoky salty intro. I wish that smokiness would have stayed around longer. Longevity fair to middling.

on to the next!

jmhg-s1.jpg

The Jo Malone Herb Garden Collection should be available at your Neiman's.

I Preordered: Wild Strawberry & Parsley, Carrot Blossom & Fennel, and Nasturtium & Clover.

Since NM is going a beauty event they have a GWP for $175 or more for JM.wp_ss_20160212_0001[1].png

Minis in Peony & Blush Suede and Nectarine & Honey Blossom

Since I had both fragrances, my SA at NM Las Vegas gave me these instead:

wp_ss_20160212_0002[1].png

Mini Peony & Blush Suede Crème, English Pear & Freesia Cologne, and Grapefruit Body Wash

Well this happened: Wild Strawberry & Parsley and Carrot Blossom & Fennel.

And it's all your fault. 😛

I'm mainly interested in those minis, but a $175 purchase? egads. Nasturtium & Clover sounds amazing though!

You can get a mini Peony & Blush Suede on Jo Malone homesite today with code "NEWS02". I don't believe there's a minimum purchase. The site has the new herb garden collection out now. So you can just get one and get a mini.

I went to a NM Jo Malone counter to sniff them, and my top three were Carrot Flower & Fennel, Nasturtium & Clover, and Lavender & (?) in the same order. Strawberry & parsley was great too, and Sorell & Lemon was nice but too sparkly-lemony for me. They are all fresh and interesting! I will most likely pick up one or two 😄

Gorgeous!!!

Holy shiz, those scents sound amazing.

testing