Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

yeah, it makes sense. i'd just never quite...experienced it so noticeably (where i knew it wasn't 'just in my head' !!) before. 

I just have to share my excitement with folks who will understand.  I just ordered Marni (the eponymous fragrance) on eBay, new and sealed in the box!  And at a darn good price, too.  I don't have a ton of fragrances on my list of "wants", but this was one of them.  I'm pretty stoked about it!  It's so smokey and rosey - I was captivated at first scent, which was probably almost a year ago.

I have a question to the experts.

Today I tried on Kate Spade Live Colorfully. I was skeptical I would like it because it's not from a traditional "perfume house" but I did. Lightly sprayed on my skin it smells exactly like the gardenia bush I had, and it brought me very nice memories. I never had a chance to try on the Chanel Gardenia, but this is the way I imagined it would be.

So, my question is: Is it anything like the Chanel Gardenia? I know perfumes react differently on each person (sometimes even the same person from one day to another), but I thought maybe someone had sniffed both and could shed some light for me.

Sorry if someone already talked about it. I made a search but didn't find anything relevant on this matter.

P.S. hopefully a comparison of lowly Kate Spade with mighty Chanel won't offend the more sensitive noses 😉

DaintyDiva, I've only tried Chanel Gardenia so I can't really compare (plus notes seem to manifest themselves differently on different people). I'd say if you're happy with the Kate Spade - enjoy it!

Otherwise,if you're looking for something more authentic, I really love what Setge Lutens does and he works really beautifully with White Florals. He has a gardenia scent - Une Voix Noir. Decants should be readily available online! Honestly, I've become much less impressed with brands like Chanel and Marc Jacobs and much more inspired by niche fragrances. 

Thank you, I'll definitely look into your  suggestion.

It's just that "Chanel Gardenia" is such an iconic name, I couldn't help comparing. Truth be said, the formula has been changed, so it isn't even the same perfume anymore. 

Oooh that's interesting! My sample is an older decant, 2007. I was wondering, because I went to smell "les exclusifs" last Spring and they'd somehow lost their lustre. I was wondering if it was just me :x. The Gardenia decant I have is perfectly pleasant - I just couldn't tell you how it compares to the Kate Spade :).

And up until this past year, Chanel Chance EDP was my "signature scent" 😛

Need some help from all you fabulous fragrance junkies 🙂

there are several perfumes I want to get. I can use vouchers and gift cards to get smaller sizes or I can get bigger sizes on Groupon for cheaper.

when I added it up its $354 retail value and I could get on Groupon for $182 (and Ebates is at 9% so another $16 off plus any other coupon codes I can find)

would it it be a waste to have the larger sizes if I have several bottles?

As a self professed fragrance junkie, I only buy FS bottles of scents I really, really, really love.

I have too many perfumes I like to own them all in FS bottles, although sometimes there isn't an option if companies don't make the scent in multiple sizes or rollerballs.

I guess my point is, the perfumes you want - do you see them being things you could wear every day?  If so, I'd say it's valid to get FS, because if you will get a lot of use, the cost goes dramatically down the larger you buy.  But if they aren't scents you've lived with or tried for a significant amount of time, buying a FS could be a waste if you don't think you'll ever finish it.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking at 1-1.7 ounces vs 2-2.5 ounces. I'll probably start wearing perfume more but it would still take a couple years for me to finish one probably.

I actually like the smaller bottles better. I think they are cute and take less space. Also, as Grahamcrackers said, if you rotate many different scents, small bottles can last forever.

That's what I was thinking. My 1.7 bottle of Chanel is still half full after several years

I personally don't mind smaller sizes because if you're rotating several, perfume lasts for aaaaages. So that would be my vote. I will add a 'however' though! If the little bottles make the experience feel less exciting and luxe, then that can be a vallid consideration...

Thanks for the input. im not sure I need bottles that are 2-2.5oz. I usually get ones that are 1.7 and that seems to last awhile.  Just want to get bang for my buck haha. Getting twice the amount for the same price or less is tempting

*does the impatient dance of the "when will my order arrive" ritual*

Decants coming, trying to find the ideal combination of gardenia/jasmine/tuberose-tubereuse notes, need order to get here. 😛

Whatchya trying?

One is an Aerin Lauder, a Van Cleef & Arpels, a Gucci Flora, an Estee Lauder Private collection, and Floris something or other. And if I don't find one I truly like (or a couple) then I try the next bunch that are sitting on the wish list of decants. This way I'm not putting out a tremendous amount of cash and still get more than a carded sample vial so I can really try them out *on me*. With no expensive guilt over potential non-use.

I have weird preferences for scents, and some end up being way different on me than anyone else. This first batch I'm hoping to get nothing 'powdery', and nothing that makes the back of my throat itch. But since I'm kinda winging it and selecting by the main notes listed I don't want to get too optimistic hence the talking myself down to more realistic goals. 😛

Apparently Atelier Cologne just released another 5 scents:

Screen Shot 2016-02-02 at 11.48.09 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-02-02 at 11.48.00 AM.png

I look forward to sampling Philtre Ceylan.

I'm thinking piovre and tobacco

Anonymous Insider

They're never going to stop!!  I want to try all of these *Drool*

Intriguing! I tried Bergamot Soliel and Jasmine Angelique, both are interesting and different which is why I love Atelier! Wish there was a little sampler for these new ones.

Oh my - Philtre Ceylan sounds promising! Tobacco Nuit possibly as well.

testing