nathaliew

Do you get headaches from certain fragrances?

Hey guys! I am curious to know how many of you suffer from the same problem as I do. Certain fragrances, particularly perfumes give me headaches, even migraines. Are certain scents headache triggers for you? If so, what kinds of scents do trigger headaches, and which can you tolerate?

For example I can't stay in an Anthropologie store for too long, because their candles give me an instant headache. It is a nice smell, I just can't handle it.

In the same way I can't sit next to people with certain perfumes for too long without getting a headache. I have to be careful about smelling perfume samples too, as some are more headache inducing than others. 

I have found that Dolce & Gabbana's Light Blue is headache-proof for me. Some other perfumes that I have don't cause me to have headaches, but if I already have one, they can aggravate it....Light blue doesn't for some strange reason...

Do you get headaches from fragrances?

Are there any particular brands of perfumes/candles etc that are particularly good/bad for you?? 

superNoah

Re: Do you get headaches from certain fragrances?

(0) Hearts

I get pretty dizzy and pained headaches when I wear Florabotanica on my chest, which sucks because it's one of my favorites! It's worse when I am out in the sun or decide to workout after wearing it all day. I have to down three painkillers before I even start to be able to feel bettwe.

nathaliew

(0) Hearts

Poshified: Yeah all the the Marc Jacobs perfumes give me headaches :smileysad:

Neko333: Vanilla smelling things are really bad for me too, especially when it's like a birthday cake kind of smell... light citrus smells are the best for me as well  (Light Blue falls into that category for sure) and  YES! I hate it when people just drown themselves in perfume and I can't even walk past them without having a reaction.

Joeanne: I want to try "Pure Grace" now :smileyhappy:

carapline

(0) Hearts

I'm right there with you! I had to get rid of any vanilla scented lotions I had. I can tolerate a light vanilla scent, but anything more is too much. Now, actual vanilla I can tolerate!

I can also only tolerate lighter, fresh scents. The two that I do the best with are Light Blue and Acqua di Gioia. I have a handful of other perfumes that I can only occasionally wear, as they have certain fragrance notes that either cause a headache, or aggravate a slight one into a full-blown headache. I'm always scared to buy perfumes, as I don't know if I'll be able to wear them or not, and sampling at a store is a sure-fire way to cause a headache.

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Philosophy calls Pure Grace their "soap and water" fragrance. It has a very clean smell. I really liked it but wasn't sure I'd be able to wear it so the girl at Sephora gave me a good sized sample and I wore it for a week. I don't wear it near my face but on my wrists and sometimes the nape of my neck. It didn't bother me at all so for now it's my daily fragrance.

I do like light citrus smells too so I'll have to check out Light Blue!

poshified

Marc Jacobs Daisy line really gives me a headache; I really wanted to like the scents!

superNoah

(0) Hearts

Aw man, that really sucks! They're so nice. I feel you though, since Dot can give me a bit of an ow sort of headache. Not back, but defiantly not for me...

neko333

(0) Hearts

I'm a chronic migraine sufferer and am bothered by just about every scent. I wear DKNY Be Delicious which doesn't trigger it but can aggravate it.  The only scent I know I can tolerate all the time is Fresh Sugar Lemon. Floral, musk, and vanilla scented things kill me (I prefer light citrus scents if any). It kills me when I run into people I'm standing 5 feet from and can clearly smell them. It also bugs me when people need to constantly reapply scents. It's not that it went away or faded but you got used to it so you don't smell it as much. Also don't use perfume to cover up being smelly from work, sweat, or the  gym. It doesn't help you, it just mixes with the body odor to create something even more potent and nasty. If you want to cover that up, carry around a stick of deodorant.   

melde

(0) Hearts

Yes, this happens to me too, unfortunately. It makes me sad because I do really like perfume. I just have to choose wisely.

I also have to be careful about scented makeup, especially lipstick. :smileysad:

I have no idea which ingredients in perfume trigger this, but I know cigarette smoke also triggers migraines for me. Not sure if there is any overlap there or they are just two separate factors.

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

Maybe try a soothing peppermint based fragrance or wearing just a light spray or two on your clothes rather than skin and away from your face so you are not constantly smelling it. Hope it helps and hope you fell better!

joeanne

(0) Hearts

Unfortunately, almost ALL perfumes give me a migraine. I can't tolerate wearing any scent that is flowery or sweet. I love the smell of some, but I do have frequent migraines, and scents are a trigger. That being said, I can handle some clean scents, and love the smell of Philosophy Pure Grace. I can even wear it, as long as I don't douse myself in it!

I agree with you on sitting next to someone who is wearing a bit too much perfume, or walking into some stores. Instant headache!

Candy357

(0) Hearts

YES!
I have chronic migraines, just got off one that lasted 8 days.
So Liz Claiborne, which my mom loves to wear triggers migraines.
Any strong strong scent will set one off basically.
So I stick to the light florals, citrus one's, they are light to me anyway.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 25 in conversation
    • carapline
    • nathaliew
    • marydiva
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • poshified