sephorafan2014

Celebrity Fragrances

Do any of you have a strong reaction, either for or against, celebrity fragrances?  I don't know what it is, and it doesn't matter if I love the celebrity or despise them, I just can't wrap my head around it.  I'm sure I am missing out on some great smelling scents as a result of this, and I know it is narrow-minded, but with so many fragrances out there to try, the whole celebrity thing just puts those at the bottom of my list.  Are there any that you think are a must try?

Sidebar: I was at my local TJ Maxx and I noticed they had TONS of celebrity fragrances available.  It got me wondering if other retailers are just having too much difficulty moving them off the shelves. 

Mkg823

Re: Celebrity Fragrances

(0) Hearts

The only celeb fragrances that I like are Brittany Spears.. I had gotten a mini set a few years ago from Sears, and loved them all. I later bought a full size bottle of the carnival scent , and still have it. I've gotten positive responses from many, and a lot of guys seem to like how sexy the scents are .

Biedazzle

(0) Hearts

If it smells good I'll buy it! I don't care if I like the celebrity or not. If I love the scent then I'm all for it. I'm not a big Bieber person, especially now but his original perfume is one of my all time favorite fragrances. On the other side, Britney Spears is like my favorite person ever but I haven't really found a perfume of hers that I thought smelled that great. 

gogreyhound

(0) Hearts

I am on the fence...mostly it depends on the fragrance itself, however, if I can't stand a celebrity, I won't even consider it. I don't want to give them any more money than they already have. Have you seen how hideous the Nikki Minaj bottles are? Just like she is--obnoxious, I have no idea what it smells like, but would never even give it a try.  Anything by the Kardashians--perfume, makeup, fashion. UGH. To me, it is a celebrity just trying to get more money.  That said, my 16-year old daughter adores the Biebs, and his perfumes smell good on her. I loved the SJP Lovely.  I guess it has to be the perfect storm of a celebrity I like and a fragrance that smells great. 

BlushHoarder

(0) Hearts

I am sorry, I don't like celebrity fragrances (with the exception of Elizabeth and James Nirvana.

Usually I equate celebrity fragrances with the Kim Kardashian of celebrities.

Just because you know famous people does not make you a celebrity and Just because you are a celebrity it does not make you an authority on what smells good.

I am sorry, that was harsh  --- I know.

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

You're not alone, --I can't get on board either. I know I'm missing out and maybe I'm being a brand snob, but I just don't care. :smileytongue: Not even the Elizabeth & James Nirvanas can sway me. Nope. Just can't do it.

Jemimaa

(0) Hearts

I am not a huge fan of celebrity fragrances but Taylor Swifts Fragrances and Beyonce Heat Rush is quite nice. 

Try Burberry Brit Rhythm! I know it's not a celebrity fragrance but it smells divineeee 

mafan

In general I don't look at celebrity fragrances much, but I will smell/try all kinds of things that Sephora carries.  I'm hooked on their fragrance samplers (and have far too many perfumes around).  Taylor Swift's Wonderstruck was in one of them, and I actually really like it when I'm in the mood for something sweeter.  (It's not what I used my certificate for, however; I picked up a small gift set on sale after Christmas a little while ago.)

Personally, I'm old enough now that what I care about is how I like a fragrance and, to a lesser extent, how my husband likes it.  I haven't had anyone ask me in ages what I'm wearing anyway.  I wear perfume for myself and certainly not to be able to tell someone I'm wearing something with an expensive name.  I was realizing this morning just how much I tend to like Gucci fragrances as well a Guerlain, but I also like a number of Victoria's Secret perfumes.  But if I try it, and like it, I might buy it. 

(And I'll admit I even bought a mini bottle of Justin Beeber's perfume.  It was 1/2 price and inexpensive, and a cute addition to my mini collection!)

DrProducts

(0) Hearts

I usually go for designerperfumes, especially Dior (several). However, I did try SJP's Lovely and found I really liked it for occasional use. I'm more an oriental girl than a floral, but if it hits me right, then hey.... And the hubster just got me a 3.4 oz. of it, so I guess I'll be lovin' it some more.

dolceloure

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

<-----huuuuuge fragrance junkie!!

So, I think most celebrities don't have any business getting involved in the perfume industry since most of the time it's just a matter of them slapping their name on the bottle to endorse it....so for a while I was very anti-celebrity fragrance. And I figured, most of them are inferior quality anyway.

BUT...I do love a good fragrance. And the truth is, a lot of celebrity fragrances do smell really good! (no thanks to them, I'm sure, lol) And some of them are even really great dupes for higher end perfumes. Example: Paris Hilton Siren smells (to my nose) almost exactly like Juicy Couture Viva la Juicy. In reality Juicy Couture is probably better quality and might have better staying power....but considering that Siren is less then $10 for a 1 oz bottle...I'm willing to forego the longevity factor!  And one of my favorite fragrances is actually the Jennifer Aniston one -- I *love* the smell of jasmines, and her perfume has the purest jasmine scent I've ever tried. 

I will say that I can't bring myself to try anything Taylor Swift or Katy Perry....they just reallyyy annoy me, lol...though I'm sure I'll get past it one day and try their perfumes out too. But anyway, long story short: I'm OK with celeb fragrances. So far, loving Jennifer Aniston, Britney Spears (I love the bottles, they're so pretty!), Jessica Simpson.

KSkogs

I always skip celebrities scents and go straight for known perfumers and brands... I feel that scent is subjective and an individual celebrity doesn't have the right knowledge and background to develop a widely liked scent. There are scientists and researchers that dedicate their waking hours to developing a scent and brand that is going to be classic and timeless. 

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

Science wins yet again! 

LCResz

(0) Hearts

I won't buy a celebrity perfume just because it is by a celebrity, but I won't poopoo a fragrance just because it is associated with a celebrity. I like Nirvana White and Nirvana Black, Olsen twins not withstanding. I do not like Katy Perry's Purr, it's just too sweet. And as others have mentioned, a lot of fragrances are made by celebrities of the fashion and makeup world, so it's all good :smileyhappy:

ireneh

Can you please define what "poopoo a fragrance" means? :smileyvery-happy:

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

To forego,

LCResz

(0) Hearts

To dismiss something out of hand, usually spelled pooh pooh but my autocorrect has a fantastic sense of humor, what with this being a post about fragrances and all. If you can't add some puns by way of homophones every once and again then what's the point of anything really? Existentialism by way of BT :smileywink:

StyleLynn

(0) Hearts

I'll admit to loving and owning quite a few celebrity fragrances, Mariah Carey's overall are my favourite but I am also a fan of Lady Gaga's, Britney Spears, Beyonce's And Nicki Minaj's. 

lasheliz

(0) Hearts

I can definitely identify with you on this, but a few years ago someone was wearing SJP's "Lovely" and I had to have it. It's a really nice fragrance and for awhile I wore it every day. I still do sometimes. After I had been wearing it, I happened on an interview with her in a magazine and she talked about the process of making a fragrance etc. I appreciated how much a part of it she was and how carefully she had selected the components. Not sure about Bieber or Brittany though...

ilovetopurplefy

(0) Hearts

It depends. Some are really bad (I wonder if they actually smelled their fragrances, *cough* J-Lo Glow, I'm looking at you.) and others are wonderful!!! (Lady Gaga Fame I love you!)

I love Lady Gaga Fame! It's my HG perfume! I have a backup for my backup for my backup and same thing goes with my rollerball version :smileyhappy: My reasons why I love it:

1. The packaging! the cap can be used as a holder/stand for the perfume. It's just so chic and I love it!

2. I'm glad she thought outside the box with the black liquid. It's really unique and most perfumes are clear with a tint.

3. It can be either a cologne or a perfume which is great so that everyone can use it. It smells totally different on everyone but the base notes can still be identified. 

4. It can be used night or day. I prefer fruity-floral scents and this takes the cake. I know some people only like it for night but I use it during the day or night. At night the spicy/musky notes come out and it smells very expensive and sexy. During the day the fruity/floral notes are more prominent and it smells really girly, but grown up and sophisticated.

When it first came out, I really wanted to see how it smelled. I didn't care that it was Lady Gaga's. I just thought the packaging and the black liquid were cool and that it smelled amazing :smileyhappy:

kariyava

[ Edited ]

I feel exactly the way you do about it sephorafan2014 and sirenprincess.  I am picky about my fragrances to begin with, and only have a couple.  There are so many good ones to try that I completely avoid the celebrity fragrances.  I don't mind a celebrity being a spokesperson for a fragrance (like Charlize Theron is for J'dore or Julia Roberts is for La Vie Est Belle), but if Theron or Roberts came out with their own fragrance, that would turn me off if that makes sense.  I tried Justin Beiber's Girlfriend only because it came in as a substituted free sample, but before I tried it, I told myself I couldn't like it because there was no way I would (1) let my husband see Justin Beiber's Girlfriend on my dresser -- just ew? -- or (2) admit to wearing it if anyone asked what I was wearing.  Just seems wrong/tacky/groupie-ish somehow, even if I just got it for the smell and not the celebrity behind it.  Good perfumes may come from celebrities but they "should" (according to me) come from high end brands/perfumers.  And they should come in pretty bottles (I'm not picky at all!)

SirenPrincess

I don't like celebrity fragrances because when someone asks you what you're wearing, do you really want to say that?  BUT some of them do smell quite nice.  I love trying perfumes and try not to try celebrity ones because I don't want to like them, and yet I often cave and do. But really, do I want to admit to liking One Direction or Brittney Spears perfume?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 34 replies
  • 32 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • casualuxuryxo
    • jojobe
    • aviscardi
    • dianabt
    • ilovetopurplefy