Answer
stepha0322
Age appropriate fragrances...is there such a thing?

I saw a post last week that got me thinking, are there certatin age groups that should wear ceratain perfumes?

Therer are two fragrances I really like but hesitate to wear because I think I will end up smelling too old or too young.  The first is Coco by Chanel, the original not Madamoiselle - which I don't think smells anything like the origninal.  I got a couple samples of it and wore it for weeks but then had a friend tell me their grandmother wore it, which kind of put me off.  The other  (well two) is Viva la Juicy and original Juicy Couture.  I just recently picked up the bottles to see what all the buzz was about and now I know!  They are really pretty.  But are they too fruity and floral for a 33 year old?  I looked on the ratings and reviews and saw that people of all ages were raving about them. 

Does anyone else have perfumes they stay away from because of their "young" or "mature" stigma???

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
maipie
Answered
[ Edited ]

I have definitely caught myself shying away from a perfume that I like simply because I know older women that wear it or if I've heard others saying that it's "old" smelling or whatnot. I actually hesitated getting a sample of a fragrance I liked because I thought the clerk was going to say it was too "old" for me, or that it was actually going to smell too "old" on me ... Then I thought to myself that no matter what perfume I buy, no matter how expensive or how cheap, how common or how rare, there will ALWAYS be someone, somewhere, that dislikes it and there will ALWAYS be someone that loves it. Always. So whether others go "yuck" or "yum" to my perfume shoudln't matter, because I'm not buying it for them, I'm wearing it for ME. And since I know I won't be able to please everyone with my perfume, then why should I feel like I should try to? I shouldn't. From that point on, I told myself that thinking about whether or not others would like my perfume would no longer be a deciding factor when looking for a fragrance. (Though this was easier said than done because I had to pretty much completely change how I browsed through fragrances believe it or not.)

Personally, i think the reason that I took in to account what i thought others were going to think about my perfume, is because it stemmed from my insecurity. If I were really secure with myself then I wouldn't give a hoot about what someone thought about my pefume. I would wear it loud and proud and love it, not constantly be thinking about whether others thought it to be offensive or not.

I also wanted to say that for the most part I do agree with Anaa's post, except the part where she said "If you get a lot of compliments when you wear something, then you know it's the right fragrance for you." I don't think that you should let others' compliments be the basis of whether or not you think a fragrance smells good on you / works for you. Because then how confident you are about your fragrance on any given day would depend on how many compliments you've gotten; it would depend on people other than yourself. And that's especially unreliable & inconsistant since everyone has a different sense of smell, different preferences in fragrances and different likes and dislikes...

If perfume has nothing to do with your age, then it should have nothing to do with others' opinions.

stepha0322
Well said maipie!!

It's funny the 2 perfumes I've gotten compliments on in the last couple of years I didn't even really like myself. I will adopt that perspective next time I'm perfume shopping, and not worry what other people will think!!

Thanks!!
maipie
Hey Stepha0322!
Your so welcome :smileyhappy: Thank you so much for the compliments :smileyhappy: I am glad to have empowered you to be truer to you! Even though how you go about picking a perfume seems like a small feat, it can ripple into other aspects of your life. I'm glad that you received something so positive from the post :smileyhappy:

If I thought a perfume I liked was too sweet or too something that I thought it would offend people, I would actually try to talk myself out of liking it, I would try to convince myself that I didn't like the fragrances simply because I was worried what others would think of it. Dumb right? lol. When I came to the realization that I was doing this, I started to examine other aspects of my life (especially since I thought it stemmed from my insecurity, because like I said, a woman who is truly confident wouldn't not wear a perfume because of what others might think. She would wear it loud and proud and love it; confidently.) So I examined other aspects of my life and saw the same type of behavior; always worrying what people thought of me. For example, if I wanted to dye my hair blue I wouldn't have because I would have been to scared of what i thought people would think about me... Crazy, I know lol. Once I decided that I needed to change it was an extremely liberating experience. I felt so much lighter after I got rid of the weight of worrying about others' opinions of me. I hope the same sort of liberating affect happens for you, no matter how small it might seem :smileyhappy:

So strive to be the best version of yourself, be the boldest, proudest, loudest (though we all have voices, we tend to stay quiet and just deal with things rather than standing up and giving our opinion), craziest and most amazing version of yourself :smileyhappy: Because after all, nobody wants a "diluted" you.

Stay true!
Talk to ya soon,
- MaiPie
Question Stats
  • 9 answers
  • 23 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • prettyinpa
    • anaa
    • maipie
    • keralynne