Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@Titian06  It is! It's very, very nice. I might end up with a bottle of it sooner or later. 

I've been meaning to try 1996, but haven't had the opportunity yet.  I absolutely love Gypsy Water, but yes, the longevity is poor and sillage is minimal, which is sort of appealing to me... but come on an EDP at this price needs to at least perform better.  But the scent alone makes me want to purchase it, so I can bathe in it.  It's almost that perfect all year scent that I can see being used all the time.  I received a $20 off from LuckyScent, so perhaps at $130 it's not too bad.  IDK still debating.   Tried Mojave Ghost finally, and it's not for me.

I hear Tocca Colette is very similar so I'm going to do a side by side comparison of them this weekend and see (err... smell) for myself. 🙂 

@modernwarpaint I like Gypsy Water, too. But it is so light ( water in the name should be taken as hint! Really! ), and it doesn't last at all. It really is like scented water. Such a shame. The scent is really nice. I don't know if I'd get it even if it was half the price. But, I understand all too well when you fall in love with a scent and gotta have it no matter what. It's just such a shame it doesn't last. At all. 

My sample of Mojave Ghost arrived the other day. I only took a quick sniff, but I didn't like it, either. I still need to give it a fair wear/testing... But, I can tell already this is not for me. 

I think I have that Tocca sample somewhere... Hmm... I'll have to try to find it. 

Anyway, all this being said... I think you might like 1996! 

@lyravega @pocketvenus - we’ll just did the comparison, and immediately the opening of Colette was spot on with Gypsy Water - the same bright lemon and citrus, perhaps a bit more lemon than GW, and a subtle juniper and pine.  I totally agree with you pocket Venus, that they tend to transition a little differently.  Colette stays more on the citrus side for twice as long, while GW takes on the vanilla faster.  Both dry down to a similar idea, but Colette is less musky, and pulls more soft and ‘feminine’.  GW seems more complex in its movement and settles into a more unisex role.  Both are poor performers in longevity and sillage.  But now, after having them both on for 2 hours, GW is for me a better skin scent, where it would be a pleasant waft as the wind catches.  I literally only have a faint scent of Colette on my skin.  I do prefer GW- but Colette would be a definite dupe at a lower price point.  I’m definitely going to invest in GW when my birthday approaches, rather than the Colette.  

I also recall preferring GW @modernwarpaint! And I vaguely remember the drydown being slower.

I did a Byredo/Tocca comparison awhile back in this thread - forget if it was these two scents but I'm like 75% sure it is... the openings were similar but the dry downs were very different, the Tocca being more soft, sweet and musky. Wish that the search function was such that instead of returning whole threads, you got specific posts... @modernwarpaint

lol @lyravega 🙂 This is kinda liked hubby/kid say the darnest things 🙂 My 2.5 yr old toddler wants me to spray the same perfume i wear and then says "i smell liked a flower mommy" 🙂 (regardless of the scent or whether he gets any of course) 

Hey, maybe it's a sign I should get it! 😉

And, that's the cutest, @blackkitty2014 ! Mom's lil fashionista. Heart 

Yesterday I wore Terre d'Hermes by Hermes.  I forgot I had this one.

Today I wore Miu Miu.

I just reached the end of my Versace Eros sample and bought the full bottle online.  I've loved this scent for years and got a sample whenever it was in the selection of Sephora freebies, but hadn't bought the full size.  I hardly ever buy full-size perfumes because I usually get sick of a scent well before I've used up the bottle, but since I've been wearing this cologne for years and still haven't tired of it, I went for it.  The initial scent is all right, but the dry down is the best ever (in my opinion, obviously).  Not only that, but when I leave the office at the end of the day I can still smell it on my wrist.

Key Notes: Mint Oil, Italian Lemon, Green Apple, Tonka Bean, Geranium Flower, Vanilla, Vetiver, Moss, Cedarwood. 

I hope you enjoy the fullsize @IciclePop 🙂 I love it as well and like you i wait a long time until i found Macy black Friday deal last year 🙂 My lil toddler loves the design of the bottle 🙂

I had a $50 Amazon gift card, so I went to see how expensive it was there, and apparently it's a lot cheaper on Amazon!!  

Same here as far as using Eros samples for years and not buying the full sized.  The same for prada candy, though I just discovered prada candy floral and I think I like it better.  @IciclePop

Did you ever buy Prada Candy?  Because I had it on my wish list for a long time, and then when I bought it I suddenly didn't like it anymore.  I would say I got a bad batch, but perfume doesn't typically go bad.  So if you haven't bought it yet, I don't recommend it lol.  @heartsmyface

Finally, Diptyque Do Son EDP comes today after a long long UPS shipping time.  Per description, SpaceNK should send me the test vial along with the perfume but they never did.  I rip open the box anyway.  It is what i am expect and i'm digging it!!! 🙂

What do you think of it?  Did you get the EDT or EDP?  This was one of the Diptyque scents I really need to spray on me and revisit.  I'll be testing it on my skin next Thursday, along with Eau Duelle and Tam Dao.  I'm glad you like it!

I got the EDP @modernwarpaint.  I recently got in the line.  I like it so far.  🙂 I want to check out the Eau Duelle and Tam Dao next.  Normally it wouldnt be problem if i go the office but since i work from home a lot ... i dont have access to Diptyque counter nearby 😞  Pls report back what you think of those scents 😉

@blackkitty2014    I sure will!  I only have Philosykos EDT, and like the other user mentioned, the longevity isn’t exciting, but the scent alone I adore.  I tried L’ombre EDP and Eau Rose and both of those lasted a good while on me.  If I manage to ever get a bottle I have no problem sending you a sample.  I know what it’s like to not live in a metropolitan area where the niche things aren’t readily available.  Luckily I’m in the military and have to travel once a month to San Antonio!  It’s like a little mini vacation once a month where I can shop in peace lol.  

@blackkitty2014 Tam Dao EDP is very dry and woody, sharp sandalwood and cedar on me. The opening is very strong, but it quickly fades into nothing. Very poor longevity ( just like any other Diptyque on me ). I like this one. While it lasts. But would never get it for the simple reason that it has zero longevity on me. 

Eau Duelle opens with very sharp juniper berries, and then turns into subtle, spicy, musky, vanilla on me. It reminds me a lot of AC Vanille Insensee. Zero longevity, as well.

Thank you @lyravega Heart

I haven't worn perfume for a while now but I have been very nostalgic for Lancome Hypnose... and also eager to try Chocolate Greedy by Montale. I want to start wearing perfume daily again. 

However, I almost never finish a bottle of perfume - the only two bottles I have finished were Hypnose and Bonbon by V&R. So I am looking to get a subscription from Scentbird

montale.jpg

Does anyone have a referral link from Scentbird? We both get a free scent if I subscribe. Would really appreciate it ! 

4,022 Replies
testing