Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

@txcatx awesome!  Thanks for the description - enjoy your samples!

@txcatx Ooh nice score on those samples!! Olene is one of my favorites.

@txcatx - I hope you enjoy your samples!

A couple scents I tried lately:

Maison Francis Kurkdjian’s Bacarrat Rouge (sp?) EDP. This was so, so sweet, like being punched in the nose. I like challenging scents but this was not interesting and too much. I didn’t dare spray this on my person.

CdG’s Black is another spicy woody blend with a gentle smokiness. This actually has a fuzziness that I didn’t like but if you'd like these notes in a fragrance that feels like something you can snuggle in, give this a try.

This morning I was running late so I grabbed my old stand by D&G Light Blue.  I was in a rush and accidentally put on too much.  Good news...I could actually smell it on me for a change.  Bad news...it was still gone within an hour or so.

ELDO Eau De Protection. I've been avoiding this one, tbh, never really cared to try it because... It's a rose scent. I don't like rose scents. Ok, that's a weak word for it - I hate rose scents! Rose as a hint or a subtle note blended nicely into other notes can be, and usually is, perfectly fine. But, as a dominant note, nope. No, thanks. 

That being said... This is sooo beautiful! Such an unusual, dark, out of this world, edgy rose! I am so enjoying it. I can't even believe it, I am loving a rose scent! It opens with a loud green rose that's been crushed and spiced with fresh ginger and black pepper. Maybe some bergamot, too. It's pretty strong, but I don't even mind it. It is such an interesting combo of notes. It's a fresh and spicy rose, with something cold, and almost metallic, underneath. Maybe that's what they consider to be the "blood" note? Whatever it is, I really like it.

After it starts to settle, beautiful jasmine emerges, and incensey, musky, dark heart starts beating through. Drydown softens it and warms it up, and adds a dash of cocoa and powder to it. I can't do it justice trying to describe it. I just know I am completely taken with it. This is a rose I could wear. I totally see a bottle of this beauty in my possesion soon.

And, the fact it's Rossy De Palma's fragrance makes it even more beautiful! Love me Rossy! The fragrance is every bit as amazing and unique as she is! 

So glad you liked this one @lyravega!! Love your description too! I'm also not a fan of rose but this one is really fantastic and affordable. I wish they'd brought it in the Sephora bricks and mortar stores as well as the sample kit. Given how popular Luten's Fille de Berlin was in the store, I think it would have done well customers.

Awe, thank you @pocketvenus ! That's extra special coming from you, the queen of talking fragrance. ❤️ 

😊 it's always a pleasure to read your thoughts here and all the discussion in this group! @lyravega ❤️

@lyravega - Rose is on my "nope" list too, but your description makes me want to give it a try!

Oooohhh this sounds beautiful @lyravega! I love rose scents so if someone who isn't typically drawn to rose scents likes this one...well...it must be a winner. I've never even heard of the brand before so I'll have to look up where I can take a sniff of this but it sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing. 

@Mcakes  ELDO is acronym for Etat Libre d'Orange, just in case that's what you're not familiar with. 

It is a very interesting, beautiful rose. Definitely give it a sniff. I'm curious if people who usually like classic rose scents would actually like this one...? 

I think your best bet is to order a sample online. It's hard to find ELDO's in physical stores. I don't know where you're at, but if you're in a metro area, check your local niche perfume shops/boutiques. You can also ask ELDO direct who are their stockists ( if they have any ) in the area. 

Ah gotcha @lyravega! That was a duh moment for me lol 😄 I'll try to find it and come back with my thoughts. I'm actually excited! 

I have missed this thread and this challenge! I looked back on the notes I had and it was such a great help in setting aside perfume samples I now know I do not like and need to give away. I have a growing mound of samples and need to do another self induced perfume challenge lol. 

Here's the first one that I am coming back with- Juicy Couture Majestic Woods EDP

https://www.sephora.com/product/majestic-woods-eau-de-parfum-P417835?skuId=1940121&icid2=products%20...

Fragrance Family: 
Earthy & Woody 

Scent Type: 
Classic Woods 

Key Notes: 
Praline, Amber

I selected this as a sample at checkout because I normally love woodsy scents and figured I couldn't go wrong. I could and did with this. It's very overpowering and gave me a prolonged headache because I was out and about all day long and couldn't take it off. It has incredible staying power. I've liked fragrances with Amber before so I am not sure why this didn't work out for me. Oh well, on to the next!

I was just thinking about this challenge this weekend @Mcakes!  I was reminded of @heartsmyface method from a couple years back (has it really been that long?!). 

Yesterday I wore My Burberry Blush.  I didn't anticipate liking this as much as I do.  The notes are: Pomegranate, Rose, Jasmine.  It lingered well on me & my sweater but wasn't overpowering.  It smells fresh and floral.  It's going in my Loves List.  

Today I'm wearing Marc Jacob's Daisy.  I know, I'm the last person on earth to try this.  Notes: Strawberry, Violet Leaves, Jasmine.  I was surprised by how much I didn't hate it.  It's not amazing but I won't run away from it in the future.

It has been my favorite challenge yet @michelleshops! My Burberry Blush is really nice, I really like that one too. I was cracking up as I read what you wrote about Marc Jacob's Daisy 😄 It is definitely one of those that was super hyped up and I was also surprised by how much I didn't hate it 😄

@Mcakes I just got two samples of this as well.

I didn't even know Juicy Couture had any fragrances that weren't, well, juicy!

Haha @txcatx! It is unusual from what I see from Juicy so it is what drew me to order it as a sample. I can't resist woodsy lol. 

Byredo 1996 today. Opening is strong honey. I have no idea where does this come from, it's not in the notes, but it is what I smell. Very strong honey scent. It quickly turns into strong wood and honey, and then the rest of the notes start to unfold, too, and the honey is gone. There's a strong amber presence that holds everything else in its embrace. It's quite woody and leathery, creamy, warm and cozy, with a tad bit of sweet vanilla which is very nicely blended with the rest of the notes. There's a bit of smoke and incense there, too. Touch of powder ( very faint iris ). Some patchouly. Not overpowering, luckily. I barely feel any juniper berries which is disappointing as I love juniper berries. Was expecting that note to be stronger. But, all in all, this is a very nice, warm, rich, mysterious and sensual scent, with beautifully blended notes. It has this... calming, serene effect on me. It makes me feel peaceful, calm and content. 

It has surprisingly great longevity ( Byredos are usually very short lived on me ). I really like it, but not sure if I love it enough to get me a bottle. Will see.

Hubz described it the best: "It's weird. Like you." 😄 Heart

@lyravega - This sounds really nice!

4,022 Replies
testing