Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

I wandered into a Hermès store today and sampled their Rose Ikebana fragrance. It was love at first sniff--gorgeous, pure rose lightened a bit with a hint of crisp rhubarb. I told the salesperson I wanted to try out the scent to see how it wore (which was true)...but then I checked online for the price and noticed that it's $260 a bottle. Um, I think I'll have to wait a bit before purchasing this one!

I had to try my new sample of Tom Ford Soleil Blanc. At first I wasn’t impressed because it’s a skin scent. It stays close to the body and I prefer a loud fragrance that announces that I’m entering the room well before I can be seen. 

That being said I found out that when I spray on my chest, the fragrance stays on my T-shirt and has throw. It’s a very sophisticated beach scent reminds me of walk on the beach but in this case it’s more walk on the south of France.

I'm sampling Gucci Gardenia today, It reminds me of spring which is MIA in New England this year.

Stumbled across someone selling Amouage which is a house I've been meaning to try in forever! I didn't test anything on my skin but I smelled Myths Woman which is this unusual, misty/damp, cool floral. It's not at all what I expected, not an easy wear. Very aloof and not commercial. I can't imagine wearing this regularly but it piqued my interest. I'll have to go back and try a few.

My next sample was Elizabeth and James Nirvana White. It only had enough left for one use lol. I do not care for this one. I only smelled musk and a lot of rose.

I’m wearing philosophy Amazing Grace. It smells so good to me right now. I am reminded of the Guerlain fragrance Shalimar. That lingering scent that stays on your mind. It last a long time on my skin, I put it on before bed and it lasted til morning. The scent smells like a lovely French milled soap just fresh, clean, and seductive.

I'm wearing Purr by Katy Perry. Guess who was really big into affordable celebrity scents? Haha yeah me. I found this bottle on my vanity less than half full. My goal will be to finish off a bottle for the first time ever!

Purr women's perfume was launched by the designer house of Katy Perry in 2011. This women's fragrance possesses a blend of peach, apple, green bamboo, jasmine, freesia, Bulgarian rose, vanilla orchid, white amber, sandalwood and musk.

Testing Tom Ford Eau de Soleil Blanc today (thanks to Sephora pick 5 samples promotion ;)).  According to the paper cover, it is EDT so i guess it is supposed to be EDT version of Soleil Blanc EDP.  To my nose, Soleil Blanc and Orchid Soleil are very similar.  After initial application, i dont know if Eau de Soleil Blanc was different enough to justify a purchase (if you have either Soleil Blanc and/or Orchid Soleil) but 5 min after, when i smell my hair, i can smell the citrus which wasnt there in either Soleil Blanc and Orchid Soleil.  It is interesting!!! I need to test some more to decide whether i like it more or less than the other 2 😉

I got that sample Too and I’m curious to know if it’s a lighter smell than black Orchid cause I think might be too dark for spring. I’m getting over the flu so I can’t trust my nose right now.

Testing Tauer's Lonesome Rider today. It has a juicy spicy opening that is a little sour, although not unpleasantly so. Leather comes through in the dry down. Overall, it's nice but pretty underwhelming when compared to Desert Marocain. I feel like I'm missing something. I'm going to apply more and try again later.

Dyptique is offering samples of their two newest scents via their FB pageScreenshot_20180311-151205.png

Screenshot_20180311-151147.png

Today I'm wearing Beaufort London's Coeur de Noir - I think @lyravega tried it earlier in this thread so if you're curious, click back a few pages to read her review.

It has a spicy boozy opening with a hint of vanilla with a heart of dry, smoky leather.

This is how the house describes the notes:

Coeur-de-Noir-fragrance-profile-diagram.jpg

I don't think this is quite accurate - like lyravega, I found the birch tar to be quite strong and I would knock it up a few points higher on this scale. If you like birch tar, this has it in spades. It is a super smoky and phenolic (like burning tires) note and the essential oil is sooooo intense. I love birch tar, but this one really pushes my limits at points and it can be overpowering. Other notes do peek out during the dry-down, in particular, a nice nutty leather smoothed out with vanilla. It eventually grows more tame and enjoyable for me. This is really similar to my experience with another Beaufort - Vi et Armis. It was really horrifying at the beginning but then the dry down was lovely. But you have to be really patient. I would have liked CdN a lot more if the other notes were more prominent near the start of the scent. It's like the birch tar is a wild, black beast that needs to rage at you for a bit before calming down.

So far, I've tried two Beaufort scents and they remind me of Slumberhouse in that they seem to evoke panoramic scent scenes rather than what we think of as a personal scent. CdN might make a better incense than a perfume.

Tried on L'Artisan Parfumeur's L'Eau d'Ambre Extreme. It didn't sound like something I'd like to wear but I have been trying to make my way though JC Ellena fragrances. I figure it's good to try things you don't fully like or understand.

Like the Hermessences, it unites two unexpected elements, pairing the richness and density of amber with the idea of something watery. Technically, it achieves its namesake's contradiction but not by making a "watered-down" version of an oriental. Rather, he avoids fussing about too much with a lot of different notes. The fragrance is definitely richer than other Ellena scents I've tried but I still feel like it could be good to layer with. There is a floral talc note that I found pleasant, despite having a general dislike for powder. A quiet, subdued example of the genre - maybe too subtle for oriental fans.

Otherwise, this had excellent longevity - I sprayed this last night before going out and can still smell it this morning.

YSL black opium has had my heart all week.  It’s a more adult candy scent.  

Great choice @heartsmyface, one of my fav sweet/warm scents also

Tom Ford Shanghai Lily today.  Ladies, i got the 50ml bottle. 🙂 Too bad it is discontinue.

@blackkitty2014Noo!! I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet! Glad you found a bottle.

Excellent find @blackkitty2014!! 🙌

So I got my fix today!  I went by Diptyque, ended up buying Eau Duelle EDT.  I compared it side by side with the EDP and preferred the EDT as more of the juniper and lemon in the opening gave it a more airy, lighthearted feel.  It reminded me quickly of Gypsy Water, and I was immediately sold.  The spices and incense begin to show midway, so beautiful and smells wonderful on me. However, after shopping for a couple hours, I started doubting my purchase.  It began to fade - fast - almost to the point all I could smell was a faint vanilla and incense.  It dried down to a weak skin scent (poor sillage).  It’s too bad because the opening and heart were so beautiful. (Edit: I’ve had it on for  6 hours and can still smell it, so longevity is good)  I went back to diptyque and exchanged for my tried and true Philosykos EDT 50ml (I wanted a smaller version for my purse).   While I was there I smelled on a strip both the newly released Tempo and Fleur de Peau and received samples of both.  On paper, Tempo smelled similar to Jo Malone’s Oud & Bergamot (mostly the latter), but I wasn’t diggin it.  The Fleur de Peau smelled like when you walk into a vintage thrift shop with the classic vintage smell from the clothing and old books.  Very 1960s, almost ‘hippie’ floral scent minus a heavy patchouli, I don’t know maybe Patch is in there.  I sort of like it, and I’m interested to try it.  (Edit- just tried it on and it smells like the inside of my grandma’s closet in the 80s, nope not liking it on my skin)   I feel like it’s what Serge Gainsbourg would have smelled like in the 60s 😂.  I also smelled the new Commodity - Nectar & Velvet - and I will report on it in the other thread because I was so surprised!  

I tried the new Diptyques today 🙂

Tempo has an aromatic woody-spicy opening that settles into a very earthy, textured patchouli within the hour. It becomes softer and more powdery in the dry down and carries a whiff of wood and a mild sweetness that I associate with the house. A very gentle take on patchouli! Not really my thing but patchouli fans might like it.

Fleur de Peux is mostly iris to my nose but it's mixed up with other notes in a way that feels a bit jumbled to me, like I don't understand the scent's logic. I think maybe it's because what I like about iris is when it's buttery soft and earthy. And this obviously smelled like iris but the aldehydes felt like they were interrupting where I thought the fragrance should go, like they dried out the cream and cleaned up the earth. I found it frustrating to be honest.

LOL @modernwarpaint at the Gainsbourg comment! I imagine him smelling like ELDO's Jasmin et Cigarette. Maybe mixed together with the FdP 🙂

Thx for the review @modernwarpaint.  I almost did the same thing this week.  My whole week is just a miss.  😞 I had a meeting at work on Wed that i couldnt move so i missed Sephora palette party by a day.  After the meeting, i wasnt in a mood to venture around and Diptyque boutique store (in SF) is practically on my way home.  Next time when i'm in SF then.  I need to try Philosykos as we have a giant fig tree at home. 😉

4,022 Replies
testing