Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

That looks like a nice fragrance 

Here are three more from the MMR sample set I've worn:

- Thursday I wore Promenade in the Garden.  I could not smell much of anything.  Something was on my wrist, but I could not say what I was smelling specifically.  It wasn't unpleasant, but nothing outstanding either.  As with the other scents, it lasted for several hours.

Top: Green Notes, Freesia, Coriander
Middle: Turkish Rose, Peony, Jasmine Sambac
Base: Patchouli, Vetiver, Australian Sandalwood

- Friday I wore Lazy Sunday Morning.  This was similar to Promenade in the Garden in that I could smell something was there, but nothing specific.  It was neither pleasant nor unpleasant, and it lasted for several hours.

Top: Aldehydes, Pear, Lily of the Valley
Middle: Iris, Rose, Orange Blossom
Base: White Musk, Indonesian Patchouli Leaf, Ambrette (Musk Mallow)

- Today, I'm wearing At the Barber's.  This is much more strong smelling than the last two.  It is very medicinal.  If I could, I would wash it off--it is rather nauseating, but it will fade away eventually...I hope.  The interesting thing is from where or what combination of notes is making that medicinal smell?

Top: Bitter Orange, Basil, Black Pepper
Middle: Lavender, Geranium, Rosemary
Base: Tonka Bean, Leather, Moss, White Musk

I'm working on the MM sample set.  Yesterday I wore Flower Market.  I was surprised how much I like that one.  I don't usually go for such florally scents.  After the initial very strong opening of "flowers!  get your flowers here!" it toned down to a more subtle scent.  It's a nice spring/summer perfume. 

Top: Green Leaves, Freesia
Middle: Jasmine Sambac, Egyptian Jasmine, Tuberose, Rose di Mai
Base: Peach, Cedar, Oakmoss

Today I wore Music Festival.  It smelled nice when I put it on, but I was getting a migraine (not from the perfume) so I wasn't really in the mood to think about what I was wearing.  I'll try again later this week.

Top: Violet Leaf, Red Apple, Cannabis
Middle: Patchouli, Incense, Tobacco
Base: Cypress, Leather, Cedar

@Titian06 I tried music festival last weekend and my boyfriend said it smelled like Axe lol

Today I'm wearing Maison Margiella Lipstick On.  I'm liking this one so far.  This is one company I've not had much luck with, so I'm happy to find a nonseasonal one that I like (By the Fireplace is the seasonal one that I like).

Bergamot Oil, Heliotrope Accord, Neroli Oil, Orange Flower Absolute, Iris Concrete, Galbanum Oil, Tonka Bean Absolute, Vanilla Bourbon Extract, Patchouli Oil

Today I wore D&G Dolce, a nice spring scent.

When I got home, I found a package from Sephora at my front door.  I received a gratis package that contained among other things the Maison Margiela sample set and a travel size spray of Juliette Has a Gun Moscow Mule.

Needless to say, I sprayed Moscow Mule on as soon as I opened the package.  I was very leery as I have had very little luck with any of the Juliette perfumes.  This one is no exception--it stinks!  I haven't looked at the notes yet, but it is something familiar that I can smell that I don't like.  @RGbrown, who got the same package, said it smelled citrusy to her...if only!  Interestingly, now that I've had it on for about an hour, it has mellowed quite a bit.  It's still not citrusy, but it's not nearly as stinky either!

I'm sorry MM didn't work out for you @Titian06! I read somewhere this had a copper note? Metallic notes in perfumes are always tricky

@Titian06 oh how I wish you loved this one! 

Lime, ginger and sandalwood were the only notes listed on sephora, but I haven't done any further investigation to see if others are mentioned elsewhere.

It's definitely not the typical citrus that usually has lemon or orange as a base. The lime gives it a bit more bitterness than most citrus scents, but the ginger warms it up with a kick of spiciness. The sandalwood softens them both up a bit, gives a lingering dryness to it that I find almost powdery but not quite (which is good, imho...I hate powder scents). All in all, I find this to be a lovely crisp, summery scent that's both warm and cool somehow simultaneously, citrusy without being the typical lemon or orange that usually leans toward either "cleaning product" or "tropical sweet". (I adore citrus, but find that many fall into one of those two camps, and they get a bit repetitive imho). I am loving this one!

@RGbrown - I wore Moscow Mule again today (first time since my original post).  This time around, it didn't smell as bad.  In fact, I wouldn't even say it smelled bad.  However, it did have an astringent-like smell to it.  That was the smell I was trying to figure out last time.  Like last time, it became more mellow as time passed.  I had planned to spray a little bergamot (I have Commodity Bergamot) over top, but I was running late this morning, so didn't bother.  I still want to give that a try.

Since I know you like this one, I thought I'd give you an update.  🙂

@RGbrown - According to Fragrantica, the notes are Bergamot, Ginger, and wood.  I love bergamot and ginger, but I'm definitely not smelling any of these three!

I am intrigued by this new JHAG scent, but also have not really understood the others.  Not a Perfume doesn't appeal to me at all @Titian06

I do find it interesting how much fragrances evolve as they dry down.  I love My Burberry Black... but only about an hour after I spray it! 

Tried Beaufort London's Iron Duke today which is supposed to be a spicy wood with metallic notes and "gunpowder" which I've never smelled. The opening is definitely not what I would describe as popular but it's not nearly as abrasive or shocking as the other Beauforts I've tried. There is a subtle metallic twang, but mostly, it's a bold, sweet and spicy mix, more tobacco than iron. As the fragrance dries down, the metal disappears. I am distinctly reminded of Nasomatto's Pardon, which is similarly rich, spicy and sweet although I haven't smelled Pardon in ages. Beaufort has a stronger projection in the beginning. I'm going to test them side by side on Monday and report back - although the opening for Iron Duke is very different, it might just be a decent, relatively more affordable dupe.

I have wanted to try Tauer’s Lonestar Memories for quite some time. I love L'Air du Desert Marocain and the notes pyramid for LM sounded incredible.

Geranium, Carrot seed, Clary sage, Birchtar, Cistus, Jasmine, Cedar wood, Myrrh, Tonka, Vetiver, Sandalwood

I imagined a delicious, spicy leather with a floral warmth and a rich and smoky drydown. You cannot imagine my horror when I tried this! It opens as a leather, sure. But mostly, my nostrils were assaulted by a cool, medicinal camphor. I couldn’t smell any of the notes I was hoping for. I’d read so many reviews of cowboys riding the plains through mesquite fields and making bush fires and all I was getting was a medicine cabinet and a handful of anise candy 😞

It took three hours or so, but the scent eventually settled down, warmed up and became quite lovely. The camphor is tamed with a fragrant smoke, the edges softened with sandalwood. Instead of a full out offensive assault, it lends the fragrance a sense of spaciousness despite the heaviness of the notes. Very unique and interesting. I'm still debating however, whether it was worth the unpleasant wait!

So I don't know if this is even appropriate here but I figured some of you may appreciate it!

If you go on Reddit, theres a sub reddit called "frag splits" where reputable "splitters" will buy often unique/indie/pricey perfumes and split them up for people to be able to try them without splurging.

In the past I have gotten Byredo and Killian splits, and I just participated in one for Fleur de Portofino! They usually split in 5, 10 or 25ml sizes and pricing is VERY fair!

Thanks, @sabrinas, for sharing this information!

THanks for sharing @sabrinas ❤️

That’s so cool! @sabrinas

Tried a couple fragrances from DS & Durga! It's an interesting house - not sure why I haven't heard more about it. Also, it's vegan 🙂

Pale Grey Mountain, Small Black Lake is an interesting scent that reminds me very much of a CdG – full on woods enhanced with spice. I wouldn’t go as far to say the fragrance is misty or stony, but there is definitely a moist earthiness to the scent. The drydown however, is too fluffy and reminiscent of clean, synthetic musks to me. It is also considerably more expensive than a CdG but its performance and projection are both far better. I gave the sample three smears on my wrist before going out and could smell it all evening.

Cowboy Grass is not like fresh mown lawn grass, but rather, a spicy vetiver. Starts out with the contradiction of dry grass and loamy soil (full disclosure, I have no idea what loam is but it's the word that intuitively springs to mind). There's also a cool, ozone-like quality to it though. Imagine Malle’s gleaming and pristine Vetiver Extraordinaire brought back down to earth. Becomes wonderfully luminous in the dry down. Excellent projection and longevity. Vetiver fans are encouraged to try it.

@pocketvenus - Loam is soil comprised of equal parts sand and silt and a little less clay.  It's the best soil texture for growing plants.  (I knew that college horticulture class would come in handy some day!)

Thanks @Titian06! I guess I was thinking of something darker and moister...? But definitely fertile 🙂

@pocketvenus - Maybe you're thinking of peat?

An organic spongy material formed by the partial decomposition of organic matter, primarily plant material, in wetlands such as swamps, bogs, fens, and moors.

4,022 Replies
testing