Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: The Perfume Challenge

I just finished off my sample of Tory Burch Love Relentlessly. It is definitely a nice warm floral. I found the notes to blend together so well I couldn't smell them individually.

Key Notes:
Pink Pepper, Rose, Orris, Sandalwood

The Perfume Challenge

I've decided to actually try all of my perfume samples. My issue in the past is that I would try something and really love it or really hate it and throw it back into the bag of samples and... completely forget what I liked. I'm between full size perfumes right now so I decided to organize my trials. First glass is what I haven't tried, second is undecided and need to try again, third glass is loved, fourth glass is not for me and will see if a friend would like it. I think I'm going to see if I can find some atomizers to consolidate the ones I like that I have multiples of. In the like jar already is Flowerbomb and Replica Beach Walk. The dislike is Guerlain Shalimar.

Great idea, but my cats would have the sample vials everywhere.  One would knock the glasses off, and the others would paw at them until they got them out.  We have to protect our glass/cups from our furry crew at all times.

Haha @ragdoll4mom it's so funny that you say this because...

Haha @ragdoll4mom it's so funny that you say this because as I was trying to take this photo one of my cats was trying to fish the vials out of the glasses 😹😹 The glasses are safe in a bathroom cabinet now.

Hi, @Shelbstirr !  Great idea!  I did the same thing, but with Tupperware insread.  I have a friend at work who loves perfume, so I gave all of my rejects to her.  I told her that's what I was giving her, but she didn't care.  She was happy to get all those samples.

Another thing I do is keep a spreadsheet of everything I try and whether I liked it or not.  This way I can remember which samples to get again (or travel/full size) and which ones to avoid.  Also, if you read on this thread or hear somewhere else of a scent you'd like to try, you can make note of it on your spreadsheet.

@Titian06 glad to hear the method worked for someone else...

@Titian06 glad to hear the method worked for someone else! I like the spreadsheet idea. Perfume is such an investment and I have so many samples that I should be able to find some that I REALLY love. It's also so personal and can vary from person to person what is they like, I'm not surprised to hear your friend was glad for your rejects.

Yesterday I tried Hermes Twilly.  It opens with ginger, followed immediately soap suds.  So soapy in fact, I had to look around me to make sure I wasn't taking a bubble bath.  By the time I got to work, it had settled down to a warm, gingery, mild soapy mix.  Definitely not an attractive scent, but it didn't last very long (thank goodness).

My order contained a packet of fragrance cards.  One card was a "try me" and the rest we "sniff me."  As usual, I could not smell anything on the sniff me cards.  Today, I'm trying the try me, which is Tom Ford Ombre Leather.  I  don't know why I bother since the scent is formulated differently to work in the card.  It makes me wonder how different the scent is.  I can't really smell too much in this scent except a little of the leather.  I think I'll try in store if it's available.

I love Twilly and its fresh, clean scent.  It lasts on my skin all day without a need for reapplying.

Mmmm, I love this one. That burst of fresh ginger at opening is everything! I wish it lasted forever! So good! It turns into such a nice and sultry, creamy tuberose sandalwood, with a hint of jasmine, while that fresh ginger is still present in the background. So, so, so good! I am really loving it on me. I don't get any soap. It's fresh and clean, while also spicy and creamy. Beautiful and easy to wear. I love layering it with JM Nutmeg and Ginger, too. ( Yeah, I'm a ginger h*, as my friend calls me. 😛 )

@Titian06 I have a sample of this that I haven't tried yet, but now I'm scared! Ginger sounds nice, but I don't know about ginger with soap.

@txcatx@Titian06, I got a tuberose that was creamy to me. Test first for sure!

@txcatx - I know!  It was not an attractive combination to my nose.  Give it a try when you know you'll be hanging around the house or just running errands.  It may smell differently to you, but just in case, you won't be stuck wearing it someplace important.

Hey there!

HELP! I am in finally in love with a fragrance, Nest Indigo, however it DOES NOT last on the skin:( Is there a dupe that also lasts longer?

Thanks,

Alex

@AGillen I just gifted that to a friend today and she sd she loved it.  I rec checking out the Fragrance IQ (or maybe it's called the Fragrance Finder?) in-store.  🙂  It's supposed to be cross-referenced with a ton of scents.  I really wish it was available online.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it:)

Hey there!

HELP! I am in finally in love with a fragrance, Nest Indigo, however it DOES NOT last on the skin:( Is there a dupe that also lasts longer?

Thanks,

Alex

I tried the new LV for women, Attrape-Rêves. It feels a bit dated, but not dated enough to be vintage, if that makes sense. Sweet patchouli and flowers. Smells "designer-y."

Had a chance to smell the new Dior Joy. It's a pretty soft floral in a nondescript way, with a gentle musky base. Not at all my style!

I've been finally testing Serge Lutens A La Nuit last few days. I usually love jasmine. It's one of my favorite notes. But this one is just plain unpleasant to my nose. It's too indolic ( borderline offensive ), and almost headache inducing. Now, I love me a good dirty jasmine. But, this is just not it. 

@Magrathea I love jasmine, too. And, I love it dirty, as well. But, I agree, this one is... ugh... just so skanky. 

@Magrathea, this sounds like something I should at least try! If I might ask, what's your favourite dirty jasmine?

4,022 Replies
testing