Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Wore an oldie but goodie today, Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

http://www.sephora.com/velvet-orchid-P387250?skuId=1632777&icid2=products%20grid:p387250

Notes:
Orange Blossom, Hyacinth, Jonquil, Cattleya Leopoldii Orchid, Suede Accord, Vanilla Tincture.
Style:
Lavish. Dramatic. Seductive.

I'm the type of person who does not buy full sized perfumes unless I absolutely love it and I love this one. It lasts all day long on me and works well with my chemistry. 

Today I wore Atelier Cologne Poivre Electrique. At first it smells like someone is making licorice in the woods, but then the licorice smell fades into a dull pepper scent and the woodsy scent remains the dominant scent. To me this is a very manly scent. 

I've had it in my mind for a while now that I would like to own the entire Atelier Cologne lineup, and perhaps I can collect them over time. I realize that sounds unrealistic and I probably won't actually like them all, so perhaps I should maybe try them before I order them. So I finally picked up the Atelier Cologne sample pack, which has 32 samples in it! I already own full sized bottles of three of those (Vanilla Intensee, Rose Anonyme, and Sud Magnolia) and a small spray of Orange Sanguine, but there were still plenty I wanted to try.

Today I'm wearing Cedrat Envirant. The name is not inspiring to me at all, but I do like the scent. To me it smells like a lime-citrus mixed with fresh herbs. It seems appropriate for spring, or maybe for office environments. I can't tell if this one was intended for men or not, but it is not what I would call an overtly feminine fragrance either. I accidentally put an amount on that I would normally think of as "too much" and it didn't bother me (or anyone else) at all. I did notice that the scent sort of disappears on me over the course of the day and I did need to reapply it halfway through the day. Overall, I like it. It's not at the top of my list of "the next one I will purchase", but I imagine it will be somewhere around the middle.

@purly I can't wait to read your thoughts on all of the Atelier scents, especially the more obscure ones!

It's taking all my willpower not to open them all and smell them all in one sitting, but I know that it won't be an accurate representation of the scents if I do. 🙂

I want to collect all their postcards haha. I love Silver Iris the most. 

The sample set came with all of their postcards. I'm considering framing them and hanging them for decorations.

Today I am wearing Poison Girl by Dior. I love it. ❤ I don't usually buy full size bottles without testing first, but I did with this one.

Notes: Sicilian sweet orange and Calabrian bitter orange notes, Neroli, Rose, Vanilla, Tonka Bean.

Even though this is an EDT, it is strong! A few spritzes lasted the whole day. It is the only Poison fragrance that works with my chemistry. It is quite lovely, and the dry down is my favorite, where the vanilla and tonka bean remain. 

Yesterday for work I layered Eight and Bob Mustique + Mad et Len Vetyver Bucolique. I wasn't sure about it at first, but the combo rapidly grew on me. I fell in love. I've never worn either of them before. A nice cool crisp manly scent.

Mad et Len- Blue in Musc

Notes- Oakwood, cedarwood, mellow musc

This smells good. It's a weird scent, I can't describe it. It smells really good though. 

Atelier Clementine California-

Notes:
Clementine, Mandarin, Juniper Berries, Star Anise, Sichuan Pepper, Basilica, Vetiver, Sandalwood, Cypress.

Thankfully I can't smell the Juniper Berries. I love this one! Yep yep yep!

This one sounds delicious!

I sooooo love love love this one, @Samtian !!! Can't get enough of it! This is my bday gift to myself, actually. 😄 I am just waiting for the sale ( hopefully? ) to get it. But, sale no sale, I am getting it. It is very special to me as it evokes so many beautiful memories from my childhood...

Ooh lucky find for you! I wish I could find something that reminds me of my childhood. Here's to hoping for a sale!

I liked this one when I sniffed it in a store! Does it fade quickly like most of the other Atelier scents?

@txcatx I can smell it for a few hours, and then nothing ( on my skin ). But, Hubbz says he can smell it long after I can't anymore. ( My scarves and shirts smell of it forever, though. So, that's nice. )

An hour later and I can still smell it. Faintly. 

At the end of last year I purchased the Luckyscent Unboxing Day scent pack. Forgot about it, and just found it the other day. 

Fuego Flores by Mad et Len. I cannot find a list of notes for this. It's ok. Very heavy. It's supposed to be a mainly floral scent, but I have a hard time picking the floral up. 

Byredo's Seven Veils vs Papillon's Salome

Two very different takes on the Biblical figure.

Byredo's interpretation of Salome is a twisted, spicy oriental - very creamy vanilla with the sweet earthiness of root vegetables. Dries down to a tamer, cozy vanilla.

Papillon's version is an oriental, take no prisoners skankbomb. We're talking glorious florals, filthy, in your face musks and a heaping helping of dusty cumin. Incredible longevity. You either love it or want to spray air freshener up your nostrils.

I'm currently obsessed with pop by Stella McCartney. I have 3 samples so far and I plan to hoard more!

It's very sweet but doesn't give me a headache like sweet scents usually do. It honestly smells like the 7 yr old Barbie girl who grew up to be a CFO on Wall Street (LOL). Sweet, musky, but not citrusy. Try it out in store and I hope that my description matches the scent.

Perfume also wears differently for everyone. I find that this scent smells really great on me particularly. I love Daisy by MJ too but that one fades on me really quick.

I haven't been in here in awhile but got a sample of Mon Guerlain with my Holts order this morning.

It is nice but I wouldn't purchase it.It is supposed to have lavender,jasmine,sandalwood and vanilla. I find it has a strong vanilla scent but I smell the sandalwood as well not getting much of the lavender or jasmine.

testing