Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Oh, this one is so very bad, indeed. Gave me instant headache and made me literally sick to my stomach. I've never smelled anything so terrible in my life fragrance wise. It is hard even to imagine this could work for anyone, but I know, I know - personal likings, preferences, chemistry and stuff. We are all different. And, that makes things more interesting, right? 😉

@lyravega  That GIF is equal parts hilarious and terrifying. 😉

I had a totally opposite reaction - when I tried it just sprayed on a card, it smelled just awful.  Intollerably awful.  I was going to throw it away, but lazily left it on the counter instead and absentmindedly put it on the next morning.  My fiancee who hates almost all perfumes absolutely loved it.  For some reason it smells great on me, but terrible straight out of the bottle. Weird how scents can change so much based on your own chemistry!  

Also - I'm so sorry it didn't work on you!  There's nothing worse than wearing a bad perfume - especially because those always seem to be the hardest to get off!  😞

I haven't tried mine yet and now I am dying of curiosity but I just put on another scent.I will have to try this tomorrow when I am done going out for the day just in case.

Smart. 😉 @Seymore3 

@lyravega I am so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like this one!   So many people raved about it that I expected a completely beautiful and ethereal scent but have been sorely disappointed with every sample I have tried. This just does not work on me.   😥

That's the one that made my bathroom smell like it was assaulted by a gang of grandmothers!

😂 After reading this I just had to go try on my sample and you're right.. this smell reminds me of the cheapest perfume old ladies wear/bath in🤢

upload_1222534103547087617.gif

Yes!  That is a nicer description than my hubby had for this one. @txcatx

mmmmm I like this one! I have two sample vials of it, and saw your post so I had to try it right now. 

upload_4768324735589226602.gif

Well, I'm sure glad it works for you. As for me... I am about to take a shower with a bleach or something cuz I can't get the nasty thing off of me! Staying power A+!!!

@lyravega, It did not come off of my skin very easily. Why does it seem like the incompatible fragrances have the most potency? 😞

@Samtian I so wanted to be like you and love this one!  So sad it didn't work for me...but happy it worked for you!  🙂

That fragrance did not work with my chemistry either. My boyfriend rarely complains about what I wear, but he did regarding this one. 😞

It is so very bad on me. So bad! And, I can't get it off! Mr. Husband says he is gonna sleep outside tonight... 😄

@angel7594 Yeah, my hubby was very turned off, too! 😞

Feb 8:  Dolce & Gabbana - Dolce

Notes:  Neroli Leaves, Papaya Flower, White Amaryllis, White Daffodil, White Water Lily, Cashmeran, Musky Notes, Sandalwood

This is a lot sweeter than I noticed trying it on in store.  I still like it, but may try adding something to tone it down a bit.  I don't usually mix perfumes, but some of you have been, which is giving me confidence to try!  This will definitely be a nice spring and summer fragrance.  As with most other scents, it did not last very long.

@Titian06 Interesting you find it to be sweet at all, since it's totally floral and dries down musky for me. It's a fresh floral though, not a powdery one, so that might be where the sweetness comes from. I adore this one, and the bottle is so cute. I only have a small spray bottle now, so when I use it up I may spring for a full size since I reach for it quite a bit. Especially in the warmer months, because like you said, it is really nice when the sun comes out! 

Nirvana Bourbon (on me) smells like a combination of pencil shavings and the old version of Lush Soak and Float shampoo bar. I can't smell anything other than Cade oil and tobacco. I'm so disappointed, because I heard such rave reviews about it. It literally made me choke when I put my face too near my wrist. 

I was curious about that one! definitely one I think I can skip now haha 🙂 !

Perfume no. 33: Commodity Tea. This one smells kind of like cleaning spray and insect repellent on me at first, but then I get mostly jasmine. It was more complex and lovely once I sprayed Commodity Mimosa on top, and now I smell like spring!

Notes:
Citrus Accord, Sicilian Lemon, Bergamot, Freesia, Muguet, Jasmine Sambac, Sandalwood, White Musk.

testing