Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Yknow, I think you nailed it. That's it exactly.

Day 31: Hanae Mori by Hanae Mori

This is a really nice sweet, woodsy, fruity scent.  It's light and on my skin it doesn't really last long, but I like it a lot.

Ok so I've been slacking because I went away for a quick bachelorette trip 😉 I have been wearing perfume though! It's always fun to see which fragrances your friends bring and I had a blast trying all of theirs out. 

Day 31: Tory Burch Love Relentlessly 

Key Notes:
Pink Pepper, Rose, Orris, Sandalwood.

http://www.sephora.com/love-relentlessly-P48696122?skuId=1887553&icid2=toryburch_lp_thefragrancecoll...

Got this in my Play! box this month and I really like it! I think it's because it reminds me of Flowerbomb lol. 

Here's what I managed to try while I was away:

Day 30: Elizabeth and James Bourbon

Day 29: Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom

Day 28: Gucci Guilty

Day 27: Clean Cashmere

Spoiler

Day 31: Tory Burch Love Relentlessly

Day 30: Elizabeth and James Bourbon

Day 29: Jo Malone Mimosa & Cardamom

Day 28: Gucci Guilty

Day 27: Clean Cashmere

Day 26: Commodity Moss

Day 25: Maison Margiela Replica Lazy Sunday Morning

Day 24: Royale Ambree Eau de Cologne by Legrain

Day 23: Aerin Amber Musk

Day 22: Maison Margiela Replica Flower Market

Day 21: Stella McCartney POP

Day 20: Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Day 19: Burberry My Burberry

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

This was such a fun challenge, thank you for setting it up @txcatx! It really made me use up some samples and discover some new favorites. Kind of want to do this with eyeshadow palettes and singles! 

Day 31: Jo Malone Wild Bluebell Cologne 

Notes: bluebell, lily of the valley, eglantine, persimmon

This is such a beautiful, feminine fragrance. It reminds me of Spring! It was really fun doing this challenge, and trying new fragrances. I also revisited many already in my collection. I have enjoyed seeing what everyone else is wearing, as well! 🙂

Day 31 - went really old school today and put on Jessica McClintock.  After all these years, I still love it even if it's more suited for Spring or Summer.

Notes:  white rose, lemon and basil and deeper hints of white jasmine

I completely forgot about this one! I had a bottle in high school!

I actually asked for a new one for Christmas 2 years ago.  I missed it that much!

Day 31Santal de Mysore by Serge Lutens

I unintentionally picked another stinky one for today :x. Woody, but not in a forest way - maybe an antique furniture sort of way? Boozy/Ambery, and spices. But not cinnamony spice...maybe curry and cumin spice - something more savory. This...is...not for a day to day kind of wear lol. At least not on my skin!

From SL direct:

What incredible sandalwood!

This scent takes spices to the limit – they nearly cry out against the sandalwood base. One perceives saffron and, strangely enough, wild carrot.
Sweetness paves the way for a blast of heat!

Notes: Mysore Sandalwood, Cumin, Spices, Styrax Balsam, Caramelized Siamese Benzoin, Saffron, Cinnamon, Rosewood, and Wild Carrot

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 30Across Sands by Maison Margiela
Day 29Velvet Wood by Dolce & Gabbana
Day 28Velvet Exotic Leather by Dolce & Gabbana
Day 27Like This by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 26Penhalgion's Anthology Gardenia
Day 25Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens
Day 24Vert Boheme by Tom Ford
Day 23Sidi Bel-Abbes by Serge Lutens
Day 22Black Orchid by Tom Ford
Day 21Dangerous Complicity by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 20: Plum Japonais by Tom Ford
Day 19: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 18: Oud Wood by Tom Ford
Day 17: Rahat Loukoum by Serge Lutens
Day 16: Soul of the Forest by Maison Margiela
Day 15: Ombre Indigo by Olfactive Studio
Day 14: Eau de Sens by Diptyque
Day 13: Honey Oud by Floris
Day 12: Panorama by Olfactive Studio
Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9: Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Day 31: Commodity Moss. What, 31 days already? I could keep going for another couple of weeks with perfume samples! Since we had people joining in at different times, I'll change this to a "use your perfume" challenge after today. Then I'm going to use my favorite Jo Malone and Byredo fragrances for a few days and then get back to using my samples. 

I actually went to a couple of Sephora stores to get Commodity samples because I was intrigued after seeing you guys post about them! Moss is nice, but I'd like to try it mixed with a different Commodity fragrance. There's one note I'm on the fence about, and I think it's the ozone. 

Notes:
Ozone, Petitigrain, Italian Bergamot, Elemi, Eucalyptus, Oak Moss, Orange Blossom, Cashmere Woods, Cedarwood, Amber, White Musk.

Moss with Mimosa is amazing. If you have a sample of that, I 100% recommend layering those two. 

I have Moss, Mimosa, Rain, and Magnolia. I'll definitely have to try Moss with Mimosa; thanks for the tip!

If you like Moss, you should give Book a sniff if you get the chance. The Eucalyptus puts it in roughly the same family, though Book is a bit sharper. Moss and Book are my favorite "I want to smell different* options right now, and layering them works pretty well also.

Days 28 - 30: Nada, I was sick and lazy

My notes - I copied some of you guys and caught some kind of bug.  I'm feeling way better but no nasal delights.

Day 31: E&J Nirvana Rose

My notes - I thought I grabbed the Nirvana Bourbon so this was a surprise!  It's a heavier fragrance to me, lots of vetiver with a great rose dry down.  I love all the E&J perfumes and this is no exception. It makes me want to hunker down in a cozy snowed in cabin and snuggle.

Real notes: Rose de Mai, Geranium, Vetiver.

Day 31 - Philosophy marshmallow body lotion underneath Maison Margiela By the Fireplace. So basically I'm a s'more.

(I *do* like the By the Fireplace kind of a lot, though. I have two samples of it that I will happily use up.)

I can think of so many men who would go nuts for a "s'more" smell, but be warned, they'll try to take you camping 😂😂😂

Day 31: CLEAN reserve sueded oud

This is nice! It's a bit woody due to  the patchouli and amber, but i also smell the jasmine and magnolia. CLEAN fragrances tend to fade fast, but if this has staying power i might actually purchase this one!

Day 30: Lalique Fleur Universelle 1900

"TOP NOTES

Pink Pepper
Rum
Cardamom

HEART NOTES

Everlasting Flower
Myrrh
Cinnamon

BASE NOTES

Patchouli
Tonka Bean
Lorenox"

This smells SO good! Big burst of boozy rum that disappeared quickly to patchouli. Hours later I can still smell it spicy and sweet, lots of tonka bean. I requested samples from the company and they only sent one vial of this, so sad its $300, more than I care to spend right now.

Day 29: Dior Addict

"... top notes that blend Mandarin Leaf with Tunisian Orange Blossom.
Intense and vibrant, it reveals a powerful heart of Jasmine Sambac Absolute that blossoms with soft femininity and sensuality. The base unfurls in the deep and exquisite warmth of Bourbon Vanilla..."

Oldie but goodie, jasmine and vanilla.

Spoiler

Day 28: Nothing...skipped day
Day 27: Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche
Day 26:  Jo Malone Red Roses + Pomegranate Noir
Day 25: Paco Rabanne Olympea
Day 24: Demeter Gin & Tonic + Paperback
Day 23: Penhaligon's Blasted Bloom
Day 22: Penhaligon's Vaara
Day 21: Narciso Rodriguez Musc for Her
Day 20: Jo Malone Sorrel & Lemon Thyme
Day 19: Moschino Fresh Couture
Day 18: Penhaligon`s Blasted Heath
Day 17: Valentina Oud Assoluto
Day 16: Aerin Evening Rose
Day 15: Degree Shower Fresh (missed day!)
Day 14: Ramon Monegal Lovely Day
Day 13: Alexandre J White Leather
Day 12: Rupaul Glamazon
Day 11: Lancome La Vie Es Belle
Day 10: Jo Malone Nashi Blossom
Day 9: Penhaligon's Quercus
Day 8: L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse
Day 7: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1960
Day 6: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1950
Day 5: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1940
Day 4: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1930
Day 3: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1920
Day 2: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1910
Day 1: Cartier Baiser Vole

Day 30: clean cashmere - I knew I had another of these clean vials somewhere! And this one i did enjoy, though I find I always like scents with the word "cashmere" in them. I'm not sure what cashmere is supposed to smell like but I can confidently say that it doesn't smell like goat.

Day 29: spent the day in my pyjamas and didn't wear perfume!

Day 30: YSL Mon Paris. Really like the opening on this one, but disappointed in the drydown. Why so much patchouli, YSL???? Why? I don't want to smell like the unwashed pseudo-hippies in the kombucha aisle at Whole Foods. 

*disclaimer: Apologies if I offend the unwashed, hippies, or kombucha. You do you. 😜

That's so weird how perfumes react so differently on different people. Mon Paris makes me smell like a berry tart all day!

It's very sweet on me as well! 

3 Replies
testing