Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@Beadshopgirl - I don't call that cheating since you creating a new fragrance.  🙂

@Titian06 True, but I already layered these earlier in the challenge. They smell so heavenly together!

Day 28 Maison Margiela By The Fireplace (sample vial)

mmm mmm mm I wanna cuddle myself! Smoky, warm, woody, reminds me of those Valentines day cinnamon hearts with a bit of chocolate on the side for opening and fades into classy woody. Not for all occasions, but I need to get this in my collection! 

This one is so, so good

Day 28: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Long standing gourmand from the early 90s.  Sweet caramel, cacao, with some fruit and patchouli.  I kind of feel like this one is universally recognized in some way or another since it has so many knock offs.  It's strong and can be overpowering, but it is delicious smelling.

Jan 28: Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge EDP: all time favorite 

Day 28: Le Labo Bergamote 22. I love fresh, citrus perfumes, and there's something really special about this one. Maybe it's the combination of citrus with amber and musk that makes this a more sophisticated scent. It's interesting, complex, and lovely.

Notes: Bergamot, petit grain, grapefruit, amber, musk, vetiver. 

Day 27- HdP 1727- 

Notes- Citrus, Amber Fern, Woody Notes, Cedar, Lavender, Vanilla.

Inspired by the legendary lover and libertine, Casanova, this eau invites intense pleasure. Amber fern mixes with fine wooded notes and touches of lemony freshness, sublimed by the elegance of lavender and vanilla, which are in turn warmed with heady spices and colored by sweet fruits.

http://www.sephora.com/1725-travel-spray-P409745?skuId=1827120&icid2=products%20grid:p409745

Day 28- HdP- 1828

Notes:
Grapefruit, Citrus, Tangerine, Eucalyptus, Nutmeg, Pepper, Cedar, Incense, Vetiver, Pine.

1828 was inspired by Jules Verne, the father of literary science fiction. The fragrance was created in honor of the man and the ocean that took him far away and inspired his extraordinary novels of adventure. The aquatic fragrance intrigues with fresh citrus notes and an adventurous, aromatic base sourced from around the globe.

http://www.sephora.com/1828-travel-spray-P409742?skuId=1827187&icid2=products%20grid:p409742

I love these two, especially 1725. Which is funny because on first try I did not like either of them. I'm glad I gave them a second chance.

Day 28: Paco Rabanne 1 Million

Yes, this is *technically* a cologne marketed to men, but I decided to take a look at the notes after I received it in my last Sephora order (even though, I of course, didn't request it). Since I usually get at least 1, I collect them to give to my brother without giving them a second thought, so I can't explain why this one caught my attention. And it's not totally unheard of for women to use products "meant" for men. I occasionally use Old Spice deodorant, for example. A couple of the scents, I am convinced, were secretly formulated for women because they smell like candy. 

Oh. My. Goodness. I LOVE this scent. I don't detect any of the "spice" or "leather" this cologne claims to have. If I did, then yes, I'd say it's definitively masculine. But all I get is the freshness and brightness from the other notes. Once it dries down and wears for a bit, the subtle musk comes through, with a hint of that initial freshness. There is peppermint and grapefruit in this, and that combined with the other notes makes this a scent unique to anything else I have in my collection. Just like Vanille Insensee, which I wore yesterday, this can be a truly unisex fragrance, even though only one is billed as such.

This is one I'm keeping for myself. My brother will have to get his cologne samples elsewhere.  

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing
Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot (eh)
Day 24: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP (no, unfortunately)
Day 25: BVLGARI Omnia Paraiba (eh)
Day 26: Commodity Mimosa (double yay!)
Day 27: Atelier Vanille Insensée (yay!) to mask MM Lazy Sunday Morning (100% NOPE) 

@alexasteph - I like trying men's fragrances.  They're typically spicier, woodsier, and less florally than women's fragrances.  But that doesn't mean they smell heavy or manly.  My favorite so far is Dolce & Gabanna Intenso.

Day 28: Clean Warm Cotton

This isn't as light as I expected it to be, but I dig it! The jasmine and floral essence are the leading notes, but there is enough citrus and musk present that it's not too flowery for me. It faded after a few hours as most clean fragrances tend to do, but I can still smell it on my scarf. Not my favorite from this line, but i like it!

Day 28: Chanel N. 5

Notes: aldehydes, bergamot, lemon, neroli, ylang-ylang, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, iris, vetiver, sandalwood, vanilla, amber, patchouli

This is my all time favorite fragrance; and the only one I have repurchased for the last 10 years. It has great staying power, and it smells the very best on me when the base notes emerge. While I am not a fan of patchouli, I cannot detect that note in this fragrance.

I sort of feel like I need this in my collection just because it's so classic. 

Day 28:  Lush - Charity Pot

This is a body lotion "with a delicately floral perfume of ylang ylang and rosewood oils in a hydrating cocoa butter base."  It's supposed to be subtly perfumed, but it has a stronger scent than any of the perfumes I've worn so far!  I'm not real crazy about the scent, but I like that Lush donates "100% of the price (minus the taxes) to small grassroots organizations working in the areas of environmental conservation, animal welfare and human rights."

Charity Pot

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 27:  Atelier Cologne – Orange Sanguine

Day 26:  Givenchy – Dahlia Divin

Day 25:  Nest – Indigo

Day 24:  Atelier Cologne – Mandarine Glaciale

Day 23:  Atelier Cologne – Cedrat Enivrant

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

@Titian06 I love charity pot!! Not only for the way it smells but also for what it stands for 😍😍

Day Twenty-Seven: Frederic Malle's Une Fleur de Cassie

Beautifully golden animalistic floral based on cassie/mimosa. It's feminine without being cliched - it's no sweet innocent, femme fatale or luxury queen although it is quite luxurious. It wears like a mink coat. Men seem to love it.

Day 27: Flowerbomb. I like it, but I already own a full size of Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire, and this has very similar notes. 

This is morning for work I layered Tainted Love and Roses De Chloé together, and it was delicious!

Mmmmmm....that combo sounds like it would smell heavenly! 

bag.JPG

Flowerbomb is one of my fave scents @Beadshopgirl

Have you tried the Guerlain? I prefer it, because it has less patchouli. I'm getting way too much patchouli in the drydown from flowerbomb, and it's making me a little nauseated. 

I haven't yet!  I'll have to go on the hunt for it this weekend 😉 Thanks for the tip!

It's yummy. It kind of smells like Amaretto. 

1 Reply
testing