Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I am quite interested in trying this one, but none of the Sephora's I've been to have it in store 😩

Day Twenty-Four: Etat Libre d'Orange's Remarkable People

After yesterday's debacle, I'm wearing a bright, cheerful and inoffensive fragrance - spicy fruity grapefruit with depth... no come hither looks!

Day 23: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream

I felt the same about this as every MJ perfume I have tried: uninteresting on me. No clue why, I love MJ makeup. And it's not a bad perfume, not unpleasant and I can actually still smell it and I sprayed it on 2x today: once at 4am and again around 4pm (it's now midnight, my days are long!) - I just can't even describe this scent aside from, "what else do we got?"

Day Twenty-Three: Serge Luten's Féminité du Bois

I had an unfortunate mishap this morning - I was absent mindedly getting ready for work and sprayed myself with the wrong perfume - Papillon's Salome. Those who are familiar with this scent will know that it is absolutely not office appropriate. It is one of the filthiest perfumes I own. Wearing it to the office would basically be like coming into work after a long night out of debauchery wearing the same clubbing outfit paired with ruined eyeliner and untamed sex hair!!

I immediately tried to scrub it off with soap and water. I even doused my skin in rubbing alcohol but the juice was truly tenacious. Then I searched my drawer desperately for something that would be strong enough to mask the Salome, yet still office appropriate. I settled on FdB - it's gentler than other SLs but still powerful. A mature, slightly spicy woods. This little gambit worked at first but about halfway through the day, the FdB became more gauzy and Salome's cumin and musk began to peek through. The horrors! Not as bad as a walk of shame but still akin to wearing a sheer top in the office without a bra! I basically spent the whole day hiding behind my desk. At least I've learned my lesson not to be so careless in the morning 😮

LOL! what is it about Salome that makes it so naughty? Can you describe the scent?

Definitely! It is no wallflower - it projects and demands attention. The naughtiness is derived from a number of notes. There's the cumin which smells a lot like body odour (don't get me wrong, S blends it beautifully - but it is not "pretty"), and then a number of different animalistic musks: castoreum, civet. This is mixed with these big 80s florals that are really gorgeous.

99% of perfumes claim to be "sexy" but Salome is the real deal. It is completely unapologetic and smells like pure LUST.

Your description makes me want this so hard. 

Haha I'm glad I'm not alone!

❤️ Sampling first is highly recommended!

Day 21 Tocca Florence deluxe sample, its nice enough to have around smells like green florals and pears but won't be buying the full size.

Day 22 Chanel Chance (the green one) it came with 3 refill purse sprays for the light green coloured sprayer, I bought this so long ago. It's too green for me, I never wear this.

Day 23 Creed Aqua Fiorentina mmm love this one ❤ delicate and girly, yet amazing staying power. I always remember my roommate saying that this smell wishes he was dating someone so he could buy them this, lol!

Day 23: Riri by Rihanna. I got this in a gift bag from Shopper's Drug Mart a while back. This smells like fruity children's bubble bath. I can't imagine anyone over the age of 13 wearing it, and that's coming from someone who loves sweet fragrances. Cloying, jam-like. Nope.

Anonymous Insider

I'm out of the loop..can't remember when I posted last thanks to a nasty virus that got my lupus cranked up. When I was able I wore JLo Glow After Dark (one of my all time favorites that gets me the most compliments), Elizabeth and James Rose, Mandarin Glaciale and Rendez-Vous and Gold Leather, all from Atelier.

Today I wore Dark Rum by Malin & Goetz. I'm not good naming all the notes but it's very close to Black Opium, leaning a little masculine. I love it and already ordered a full bottle, which of course my husband doesn't understand why seeing I already have the Black Opium. I thought my answer "Because they're not the same" was suffice!

Day 23:  Atelier Cologne – Cedrat Enivrant

Notes:  Maroccan Cedrat, Lime, Bergamot, Chinese Mint, Egyptian Basilic, Juniper Berries, Tonka Bean, Vetiver, Elemi

My nose was very happy after I put this on!

Spoiler

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Anonymous Insider

I like this one too..it's very clean and fresh!

Day 23: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (sample)

Notes: blackberry, grapefruit, pear, jasmine, lychee, blue wisteria, white woods, musks, coconut water

I am not a fan of this one, it really seems odd on my skin. I smell like rotten grapefruit, lol.

Yep, this was my pick today too. Thankfully it wasn't unpleasant but it's certainly not one I would recommend. Almost like it is trying too hard and failing, maybe

Ooh, rotten grapefruit! That's not good! I used to love this one, but it's lost it's appeal. Doesn't last very long. 

Yeah, I was a dummy for spraying it on my skin instead of paper first. 😄 Luckily, with the weak staying power I won't have to deal with it much longer.

Day 23: Aerin Amber Musk

Notes:
Coconut Water, Rose Centifolia, Ambrox, Benzoin, Musk.

http://www.sephora.com/amber-musk-P388770?skuId=1639228&icid2=products%20grid:p388770

What can I say, I am a sucker for anything with musk in it lol. It is one of the lightest fragrances I have tried with musk in it and it has worn off the fastest on me. It's pretty but I wish it lasted longer. 

Spoiler

Day 22: Maison Margiela Replica Flower Market

Day 21: Stella McCartney POP

Day 20: Viktor and Rolf Flowerbomb

Day 19: Burberry My Burberry

Day 18: Christian Louboutin Tornade Blonde

Day 17: Carven Le Parfum (LOVE)

Day 16: Tory Burch

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Thanks for your description. This is one I've wanted to try, but if it's not very long lasting it might be okay to skip.  I love musks too though! 

They have samples of it at checkout right now! I have an order coming in soon, if they actually ship it I can send it to you to try out 🙂

testing