Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

This was my signature scent for a couple of years, too! Now I have to go dig out an old bottle of it that I know I have somewhere...

@txcatx yes you should ! i'm really enjoying revisiting it today. my bottle is almost empty, and i really don't want to be without it, even if i don't wear it so much anymore.

it was a very very popular scent in the 90s; i'm sure there are loads of people that would find it overly familiar, been-there-done-that. but i never experienced it then, so it exists in a different bubble for me, if that makes sense.

i remember when i first tried it--i wasn't aware of the history of it at the time, nor was i familiar with perfume much at all--i was drawn to it because i'm a fan of issey miyake and i found the bottle quite beautiful yet minimal. i thought i hated florals. this was the first floral i tried that i didn't find cloying, and i remember thinking "i don't know if i *am* her, but i know i want to *be* her". it really was instrumental to opening up my mind to a wider world of fragrance, as well was instrumental in discovering other aspects of myself, honestly. it's a treasure.

This was one of my first perfumes after the Bath & Body Works/Victoria's Secret body spray era in high school. I remember trying Tommy Girl, which was so popular back then, but it never felt right for me. Then I caught a whiff of L'Eau d'Issey, and it seemed so perfect, gorgeous, and light. I've been through  at least three full-sized bottles of it since, and I know I have a rollerball somewhere that I bought a few years ago.

It just occurred to me that my favorite perfumes, including the only ones I've bought multiple times, all have one thing in common. Freesia. Those would be L'Eau d'Issey, Jo Malone's English Pear and Freesia, and my newest obsession, Byredo's Inflorescence.

hehehehe @txcatx was you b&bw body splash of choice freesia ? 🙂

I did like freesia, but my favorite was Pearberry! 

Hah!  I went nuts with Pearberry in college.  Wore it everywhere, all the time.  Now I can't really handle smelling it because I way overdid it.

Day Seventeen: 4160 Tuesdays' Lady Rose Lion Monkey Unicorn

An aromatic chypre with bright herbs, soft fleshy peach and an earthy base. 4T is a quirky niche house and a lot of their fragrances remind me of fuzzy, shoegaze music. It's not polished and refined like the larger houses but it's fun and creative. I believe their scents are priced like most designers so they're very affordable.

Day 15 Marc Jacobs Mod Noir

This is just o.k. My sister had a rollerball and it smells amazing in the bottle and on her, but doesn't mix the best with my body chemistry. Quite refreshing though

Day 16 Prada Candy

Just about finished the bottle! I bought this on my first trip to Las Vegas for my 21st birthday and it smells candy sweet and like memories 

Day 16- Atelier Cedrat Enivrant

Notes:
Maroccan Cedrat, Lime, Bergamot, Chinese Mint, Egyptian Basilic, Juniper Berries, Tonka Bean, Vetiver, Elemi.

Ew ew ew ew ew. I smell like I've been in a hospital. Clinical smell. And magically this scent lasted over 12 hrs! 😞

http://www.sephora.com/cedrat-enivrant-cologne-absolue-P385175?skuId=1598499&icid2=products%20grid%3...

It seems like the scents we don't like are the ones that last the longest! Maybe it has something to do with our bodies rejecting it but by doing so, keeps smelling it 😄

I actually LOL'd at your 'ew ew ew' @Samtian This scent was on my list in sample vial but I've never smelt it, maybe I will swap it for something else! 

@Haleyhale Haha I actually said the ews out loud. It could work better with your chemistry than it did mine. I was reading the reviews and everyone talks about too much lime...I didn't smell any lime. 

Oh what a bummer @Samtian! I tend to stay away from bergamot..and I've also been wondering if I don't like tonka bean - but the rest sounded so lovely! A shame it went medicinal instead of fresh 😕

Day 16: Dior J'Adore. Floral. Boring. Je ne l'adore pas! 

Jan 16: YSL Black Opium EDP sample vial: I will hoard this when the time is right 😉 

Collect as many vials as you can if you love this one because those are perfect for traveling! That's what I do, it's one of my favorite fragrances so if I want to travel with it, I need it to be easy haha. 

Day Sixteen: Etat Libre d’Orange’s Fat Electrician

This vetiver is a departure from the fresh and green treatment it usually gets. Here the vetiver is smoky and bitter and resinous, but made easily wearable with some vanilla cream stirred in. I normally don’t like vanilla but it’s the perfect counter balance here. It's very long wearing on me. One of my favourites from the house ❤️

Day 16: Viva La Juicy Gold Couture

Notes: berries, honeysuckle, golden amber, caramel, vanilla

I like this fragrance alot; it smells quite sweet and is long lasting. Perfect to wear in the winter. 🙂

Day 16: Tory Burch 

Notes:
Neroli, Grapefruit, Cassis, Bergamot, Peony, Tuberose, Jasmine Sambac, Vetiver, Sandalwood.

http://www.sephora.com/tory-burch-P384967?skuId=1574755&icid2=products%20grid:p384967

I really like this scent! I feel so professional in it lol. This just makes me feel like a 9-5 paralegal with Meghan Markle's wardrobe 😛

Spoiler

Day 15: Bvlgari Omnia Crystalline

Day 14: Angel by Thierry Mugler

Day 13: Tom Ford Velvet Orchid

Day 12: Atelier Cologne Collection Azur Sud Magnolia

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Day 16: Clean Reserve Warm Cotton. This came in my Play box awhile back, and no surprise here--it just smells like clean laundry. It's nice and all, but personally, if I can make my skin smell like anything in the world, laundry detergent doesn't make the top of the list.

Notes:
Aldehydic Ginger, Watery Ozonic, Mint Green, Pepper Floral Accord, Musk, Incense, Vetiver.

Day 16: Jo Malone Black Vetyver Cafe

As part of my 2017 resolutions, I am trying to use more my of LE/discontinued items rather than hoarding them. I love this scent, sweetened coffee and earthy woods, perfect for a cloudy day. 

Top notes: black roasted coffee, citruses. Heart: nutmeg, green pepper, coriander. Base: vetiver, sandalwood, vanilla, incense, sequoia wood and lichen.

testing