Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius. 

I absolutely love this one. It's probably my favorite Pinrose scent, and it's not a floral like I usually wear! Still has a bit of musk with the Sandalwood, but it's caramelly and vanillay too.  

Day 15: Thymes Lavender cologne. 

A perfect scent for a lazy Sunday at home. Clean, fresh, and well-grounded by clary sage. I've paired it with Jo Malone Amber and Lavender to amp up the floral and make a more feminine statement,

Notes: French lavender, rose wood, clary sage, violet leaf, spices

Day 14 & 15: Mon Paris by YSL.

This is a lightly sweet, floral, musky, fruity, patchouli focused fragrance.  I do like it, but it literally disappears off my body within 30 minutes and it has a poor sillage on me. 😞  I've tried dousing myself in it and that really doesn't improve either for me.

I guess you can't win them all.  

It's too bad this one doesn't last long on you. I love this one, it's one of my recent additions to my collection and find it has very good staying power on me. The scent is so nice too.

@alexasteph  Yeah it is so sad because it's a nice fragrance.  It must be something with YSL's ingredients in general because Black Opium wears the same way on me.  I could bathe in a bottle of that stuff and within an hour you wouldn't even know I had applied perfume.

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Notes:  Bergamot, Grapefruit, Aquatic Notes, Fig Leaves, Violet Leaves, Black Pepper, Papyrus Wood, Patchouli Bio, Mineral Musk, Tonka Bean, Saffron

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day Fifteen: By Kilian's Pure Oud

This oud is black as pitch with all that pitch implies - burning, tar, petroleum, etc. The deepest dark. It gives a strong impression of smoldering leather. And yet, it is not abrasive nor heavy at all, I think because it lacks sweetness. The dry down mellows nicely - although, don't get me wrong, it never plays nice - and becomes more balsamic. Like pitch black fading into a burnt umber.

I've been told this fragrance more closely approximates oud than most of the ouds available in N. America - but that at this price point you could probably get something better from an Arabian house...

Personally, it's still a bit too harsh for me to enjoy regularly but I'd definitely try it for reference. It might also work well as a layering fragrance.

I totally hear you, smelling it is like being wrapped in a warm blanket!! I went to treatment when I was in my teens and I totally brought a bottle of it with me for the comfort factor! It always brings memories of her getting ready for work in the morning after and putting it on before bed. And to boot i had this awesome but strange cat that for some reason loved to lick your arms if you had keri lotion on, so I just picture my mom and that cat anytime I see it/smell it.

I love that i'm not the only one 🙂

Day 14: Elizabeth & James Nirvana Rose

I realized I didn't post for the last 2 days

Day 13: YSL Mon Paris

Day 12: Tory Burch Jolie Fleur Verte

Day 14- Atelier Pomelo Paradis

Notes:
Pink Pomelo, Calabrian Mandarin, Blackcurrant Bud, Moroccan Orange Blossom, Bulgarian Rose Essence, Mint, Haitian Vetiver, Tuscan Iris, Amber.

I give this one an A+

http://www.sephora.com/pomelo-paradis-cologne-absolue-pure-perfume-travel-spray-P397203?skuId=168495...

I love it too 🙂

This is a great challenge!  Somehow, I didn't see this until yesterday.  I'm going to jump in now, if that's okay.  I have soooo many perfume samples I need to either test or use.  

Jan. 14- Derek Lam 10 Crosby- Something Wild: Oh heck no.  This smells yucky on me.  It smells kind of rancid.  That would be the vanilla.  I'm the only person in the world who doesn't love the smell of vanilla.  There's also some kind of powdery undertone I don't like.

Notes: vanilla, cedar

Jan. 13: Tom Ford- Orchid Soleil: most neroli ends up smelling like corn chips on me.  I have no idea why, and yes, it's very odd.  There's a LOT of neroli in this perfume.  Tom Ford makes one of the few nerolis that doesn't go full corn chip on me.  It smells like it's headed in that direction, but it never actually turns. I will use up my samples, but I wouldn't purchase.  

Notes: Tuberose, whipped cream, vanilla, red lily, chestnut

Hi, @coffeenow!  Welcome to the challenge!  Is "yucky" a technical term?  😄

You're not the only one who doesn't love the smell of vanilla.  I don't like it either.  I mentioned in an earlier post that it is a migraine trigger for me.  If the vanilla is too sweet, it's like someone stabbing an ice pick in my eye.  I've worn a few scents in this challenge that have had vanilla in it, but it's apparently been very (very, very) subtle because my nose never picked up on it.

Welcome to the challenge!

Jan 14: Marc Jacob Daisy Dream EDT sample vial: cute but if I ever acquire this, it's because of the bottle. It is just too cute.

Yves Saint Laurent Mon Paris

yves saint laruent Mon paris 

Notes:
Strawberry, Raspberry, Bergamot, Calone, Pear, Orange Flower, Jasmin Sambac, White Peony, Datura, Patchouli, White Musk, Ambrox, Cedarwood, Crystal Moss.

so i want to play now. everyone cool if i start my day 1 when others are already halfway done ? 

@jemly  YES!  Join in!  The more the merrier. 😄  Better late than never, right?!  

Of course! I know you have some cool scents to share!

Yes, please join! ❤

Of course, why not?!

testing