Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Oh I like this too (not better than Flowerbomb either) but I have a small dabber bottle I received as a GWP from Saks and I really like it!

@jen143xo how cute would a dabber bottle be?! I don't wish to own this perfume in full size but wouldn't mind a mini version! 😄

@k617Here is a pic of the super cute bottle 😉

FullSizeRender.jpg

OMG @jen143xo SO CUTE!

I think the big bow looks kinda ridiculous in the original size, but it's so appropriate as a mini!

I will have to pick one up if I can find this as a GWP or Sephora pt perk sometime!

(Edit LOL Sephora won't let me use the word sn@tch. Oh dear.)

@k617LOL about the word sensor, because I have had to scratch my head at some stuff it sensors hahah

Yes this little bottle is adorable! and it should last me a while!! If I ever see it as a GWP or promo some where I will let you know!  This one was from SAKS I believe 😄

@k617It is adorable! It is literally a mini version of the FS I will take a picture tonight and post it and I will probably wear it tomorrow 😄 Next time they have it in beauty GWP section on Saks i will let you know.  😉

Day 11: PHI Une Rose de Kandahar by Tauer. I never really enjoyed rose scents until I tried this one! The gourmand and spicy notes really play well with the rose - and it's a nice fragrance for any time of year. When it's colder, it is fun to layer with Tobacco Vanille, because that really plays up the cinnamon and tobacco 🙂

Notes:

Apricot, cinnamon, almond, bergamot, Bulgarian rose absolute, rose from Kandahar, bourbon geranium, tobacco leaf, patchouli, vetiver, vanilla, tonka bean, musk, and ambergris

Spoiler
Keeping running tally so that I won't repeat!
Day 10: Jasmin et Cigarette by Etat Libre d'Orange
Day 9Chance EDP by Chanel
Day 8: Missed - "Eau de me" :x
Day 7: Ombre Leather by Tom Ford
Day 6: Straight to Heaven By Killian
Day 5: Bapteme du Feu by Serge Lutens
Day 4: Fir Balsam by L'Antichambre
Day 3: Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens
Day 2
: Maison Margiela Replica Dancing on the Moon
Day 1: Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford   

Day 11: YSL Mon Paris. It smells like concentrated fruit, like a jam or compote cooking on the stove. And yes, years ago, I was that urban millennial who had jam making parties while jamming to, like, The Shins and Regina Spektor when folksy DIY was beginning to be the cool thing to do, so I know what that smells like, as well as what the aftermath in my kitchen looks like! 

Notes:
Strawberry, Raspberry, Bergamot, Calone, Pear, Orange Flower, Jasmin Sambac, White Peony, Datura, Patchouli, White Musk, Ambrox, Cedarwood, Crystal Moss.

OMG I love this!!!! I asked for a sample when I was in Sephora during the holidays and I want it so bad!!! (she gave me 2 vials so I still have 1 left 😉 )

Oooh - that sounds really yummy! O.O

Day 11: 

Pinrose - Treehouse Royal

Notes:
Cassis, Pear, Fig, Jasmine, Violet, White Peony, Moss, Vanilla Bourbon, Haitian Vetiver.

Day 11: atelier vanille insensee.

At first I was surprised by the lack of vanilla present, but eventually as it faded I could smell it more. It's a bit woody at first that fades to a more powdery scent on me.  I really like this but I don't think it has much staying power so I don't know that I would purchase it.

Day 9: DKNY Be Delicious - decided to revisit this, my full size is almost empty because this was my go-to up until a couple months ago. It used to go over really well but kinda stopped...No idea why, it really does make me smell "like jolly ranchers!" (Comment I once got wearing it)

Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy - had a sample, this is nice but too light for me. I'm not a light character lol, so I need a more bold fragrance to match that

Day 10 Marc Jacobs Decadence

Yum I love the almost overly sweet smell of this. Funny I blind bought it because I loved the bottle, but the smell was so bold, and it took me awhile to actually like the fragrance but I love it now! 

Anonymous Insider

I bought this after having a sample of it.  I liked it because it was louder than Daisy etc.  it doesn't last 5 minutes on me, which kills me because I really like it.  My daughter liked it, her boyfriend got it for her for XMass and I can smell on her all day.  That struggle is real!!

Day 10: Jo Malone Nashi Blossom 

Top Note: Lemon

Heart Note: Nashi blossom

Base Note: White Musk

Light lemon and rose, always nice.

Spoiler
Day 9: Penhaligon's Quercus
Day 8: L'Artisan Parfumeur Nuit de Tubéreuse
Day 7: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1960
Day 6: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1950
Day 5: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1940
Day 4: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1930
Day 3: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1920
Day 2: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1910
Day 1: Cartier Baiser Vole

Day 10: Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Coco.

Thoughts upon application: Yum! I smell like a cookie!

Approximately 4 minutes later: I smell... nothing!

Reapplied to regain cookie smell, and it disappeared a few minutes later.

Overall thoughts: lasts about as long as it takes to eat a couple of coconut cookies. At least it's fat free?

Oh man! This is such a disappointing experience lol!

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir 

I really liked this scent! I like the original Viva La Juicy as well but in comparison this Noir version is a bit more me. 

Notes:
Succulent Ripe Berry, Honeysuckle, Sandalwood.
Style:
Bold. Sensual. Arresting.

http://www.sephora.com/viva-noir-P381110?skuId=1529064&icid2=products%20grid:p381110

Spoiler

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Oh I love this one! Way better than the original! I'm bummed because I've only been able to find it in a double ended rollerball with the original, and I only want Noir. In order to protect my wallet, I won't buy fragrances unless it comes in a rollerball or travel spray. 

Day 10: Decadence by Marc Jacobs.

The first time I saw the bottle for this perfume, I just thought it looked so gaudy (for my personal tastes) that I didn't even bother with it.  Also, I don't really tend to love any of Marc Jacobs fragrances.  It isn't that I dislike them, but none of them have really grabbed me and yelled in my face that I absolutely had to have them.  

Buuuuut then a sample ended up in one of the boxes I ordered a while back so of course I had to smell it.  I did not expect to like it.  I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got.  I was so so so pleasantly surprised.

I absolutely LOVE this fragrance.  It's powdery, but not in a way that I think of when I think of a powdery fragrance.  I also tend to love amber notes and woodsy notes.  This one has all three.  It's sweet but not overpoweringly so.  

I personally feel like it has a classy and mature feel to it without being boring.  I would definitely wear this with any of my suits.  For me, it seemed to last a while on my skin too and have a decent amount of sillage, but not so much that I feel like that perfume lady.  You know what I'm talking about. 😄

I'd really like to add this one to my collection.  We'll see how long I can hold out.

2 Replies
testing