Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 11: Marc Jacobs Daisy 

Key Notes:
Strawberry, Violet Leaves, Jasmine, White Woods.

http://www.sephora.com/daisy-P191858?skuId=1029941&icid2=products%20grid:p191858

I've tried this before, it's very nice! Just a classic I think and it's so easy to throw on. Has never offended anyone I've come into contact with so that is a plus lol. I forget how some people are very sensitive to certain fragrances!

Spoiler

Day 10: Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy Noir

Day 9: Burberry Brit Sheer

Day 8: Elizabeth and James Nirvana Black and White

Day 7: Stella by Stella McCartney

Day 6: Miss Dior Absolutely Blooming

Day 5: Flower by Kenzo

Day 4: Maison Margiela Replica Lipstick On

Day 3: Commodity Gold (LOVE)

Day 2: Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 1: YSL Black Opium

Day 11-Deisel loverdose.I like it.

Day 11:  Orchid Soleil by Tom Ford.

There are a lot of notes in this perfume that I'm generally a fan of, but for some reason this fragrance really isn't pleasant to me at all.  It kind of reminds me of my dorm room many years ago when I was attending a trade school.  

I'm not too surprised that it doesn't smell great on me.  Most Tom Fords don't wear well on me.  I've only found one that I love, and I bought that one.

Day 11: L'Artisan Parfumeur Timbuktu. I bought this a while ago when I was going through a vetiver phase, and I enjoy it as much today as I did at the height of my vetiver kick. This is one leans masculine, but can still be pulled off by any woman. I honestly smell like a girl who spent hours cuddling up to a super hot guy and wound up getting his scent all tangled up with my own skin. 

Day 10- Atelier Mandarine Glaciale

Notes:
Mandarin, Sicilian Lemon, Calabrian Bergamot, Ginger, Jasmine, Petitgrain From Paraguay, Heart Of Vetiver, Oakmoss, White Amber.

One of my favorite scents! I love this. 

Day 11- Atelier Bergamote Soleil

Notes:
Bergamot, Bigarade, Ambrette, Jasmine, Lavender, Cardamom, Vetiver, Oak Moss, White Amber.

I like this one as well. The Atelier scents don't seem to last long on me.

http://www.sephora.com/mandarine-glaciale-P394147?skuId=1684893&icid2=products%20grid%3Ap394147

http://www.sephora.com/bergamote-soleil-cologne-absolue-P405909?skuId=1786615&icid2=products%20grid%...

Day Eleven: Regime Des Fleurs' Dove Grey

The best way I can describe this is a floral fairy scent. It's ethereal but powerful, not sheer. It's heavy in aldehydes that hover over your skin. It becomes too cloying for me in the dry down - not syrupy - more like candied petals of violets and other flowers. I have a toothache just thinking about it.

Ok, catching up to you ladies. 

Today I am starting with Bond Scent of Peace

Musky black current. I like it. It is soft and comforting. I would not mind a full size of this. I am keeping sample and maybe would like a full size. 

I feel it would play nice with others. 😉

Ladies, can I join? Can I also ask for help.

I am trying to organize everything. I am working on fragrance samples now.

How do you store them? How long do you use a scent to decide ? Do you trash scrubbers? ( immediate hate)

I need some good ideas, so far I put them in boxes by brand. 

still a mess, but getting better!15965051_1061776713969029_3712141548736514440_n (1).jpg

16003168_1061776613969039_6290564783885793743_n.jpg

I store all my sample vials in a train case. By alphabetical groups, and the bottom section is for vials without a spray top.

@Samtian, great idea. 🙂 TY 

I get rid of the packaging because they're just a waste of space, then store by house and by style/genre. So vials from houses that are similar to each other get stored closer together.

I give away scrubbers as soon as I can unless I want to keep it around for reference. What I hate, someone else may love! Everything else I wear a 2-3 times and then wait a month or so and try again if I'm on the fence. As I find I can change my mind about what I like/dislike.

You could also try reselling if you've the time and patience. Frederic Malle samples for example, are selling for around US$30-40 on eBay.

@pocketvenus, wow that is crazy about samples being so much! I don't have much patience lol. But good to know. TY 🙂

That is good you revisit some you are on the fence about.

Welcome to the challenge! My perfume samples were stored in a box, but the vials are all currently in a bag, and I'm pulling one out at random every morning. Then, I'm putting the vials of the ones I love in a box and getting rid of the ones I don't like as much.

HI @txcatx TY!

I did this for the rest of the week. Just grabbed random and am gonna toss in my bag. If I hate it, I will give it away same  day.15970299_1061787913967909_1999127671_n.jpg

No exclusive club here @luvgloss13 !  Hop right in!  Looks like you could have a few to choose from 🙂

@AMHWKI Ty !!! I am excited. I am on this de cluttering  , use your stuff vibe right now . So this is perfect. I am gonna try to post daily if I can, if not I will keep notes! lol

Day 11:  Cartier - Vetiver Bleu

Notes:  Vetiver Roots, Fresh Mint

This is the only scent I have in full size.  I absolutely love it!  I joke that it smells like mint and dirt.  😄

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 10:  Atelier - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Lol! Mint and dirt... mmmmm! 😄

Odd... But I'm curious about this. I love mint and vetiver. 

Day 11: Nothing yet... We have another snow day so I haven't done anything other than watch British TV on Hulu. 

Day 11 Creed Spring Flower, such a pretty girly floral with a lot of class! Seemed perfect for -20 weather 

1 Reply
testing