Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

Day 5: Chloe. I have probably enough sample vials of this scent to fill most of a rollerball. I find it perfectly fine and nice, but kind of basic. It's like the pumpkin spice latte of fragrances. 

Key Notes:
Peony, Rose, Honey, Cedarwood

I really like Chloe for that reason. It's a good one to fall back on when you just want to feel put together. 

I agree the Chloe fragrance is very basic. I'm a basic fragrance person though, so I really like the Roses de Chloe for spring!

I love Roses de Chloe and wish I had a million sample vials of that one instead of regular Chloe!

I bought an adorable little 20 mL spray! I wish all companies would come out with small sizes spray (rather than rollerballs). Much more manageable, and easier to spray than to roll!

Day Five - Byredo's Accord Oud

A tame and easily wearable oud paired with sharp, dry woods and leather. I would compare the "difficulty" level of the oud to that of TF's Oud Wood. Will see if the longevity is better than other Byredos I've tried.

I haven't had much luck with Byredo @pocketvenus, but I do love me some Oud! Based on your description, I'll have to track down a sample 🙂

Yes, they are expensively priced for the performance I find – some are quite interesting out of the starting gate but then… they fall apart? I can still smell Accord Oud on my wrist but it became a faint blur within 2-3 hours.

And I love oud fragrances too! I am saving some of the richer oud samples for later ❤️

Day 5 - am going to the doctor today so I originally wanted to wear something that I really liked (Josie Maran vanilla apricot body butter + Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanille Abricot), to make me happy. But then I thought, what if something goes wrong and then I'll associate that perfume with it and I'll never be able to wear it again? So I grabbed a random sample (Chanel Chance) and put that on, instead. Unfortunately, I don't like it at all and it's just adding to my general bad mood. Probably should have gone with the vanilla apricot.

In unrelated news, I have a tendency to over-think things. 😉

No fault in overthinking your fragrances though! Since scent is the strongest sense tied to our memories, you have a valid reason to not want to ruin one if your favorites. Hopefully your doctor appointment goes well and your day turns around! 

Day 5: Today I busted out one of my treasures that I'm afraid to use because it's discontinued: Jo Malone - Vanilla & Anise. I should have stocked up, because it's just so beautiful. The perfect amount of creaminess and spice with only the faintest sweetness. 

Day 4: an old standby: Tocca - Margaux; this one makes me feel confident and hyper-sensual (not sensual like sexy, but sensual like 'of the senses'... keenly aware of sensory stimuli... I'm making no sense).

Backlog:

Spoiler

Day 3: Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla 

Day 2: Elizabeth and James - Nirvana Bourbon 

Day 1: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Grand Soir 

Day 5: Lady Vengeance by Juliette  Has a Gun

I have mixed feelings about the whole Juliette range. They pretty much all smell better on me during the summer. I like this one a lot though, which is surprising considering I can't stand the main notes (rose and patchouli) on their own. 

Does anybody know if the perfume is inspired by the Park Chan-wook film of the same name? Because if so, I love it even more!

Day 4: Fleur d'Aspiration by La Fleur by Livvy

Another Scent Trunk holdover. This one was really not me at all. It has that cloying almost banana-ish smell that sometimes comes with florientals and I just can't hang. BF thinks it smells like Flintstones vitamins. It also disappeared on my way to work, which is fine by me since the smell was so disappointing.

Previous days:

Spoiler
Day 3: Fat Electrican by Etat Libre d'Orange 
Day 2: Coconut Milk by Sarah Horowitz 
Day 1: Atelier Vanilla Incensee and Orange Sanguine 

I keep meaning to post and I just plumb forget. Here goes:

Day 1: Givenchy Organza. It's an old school scent, it was my signature back in the 90s and I still love it today. Sweet and warm, a perfect way to great the new year.

Days 2 and 3: soap 🙂 Didn't wear anything special.

Day 4: Diptyque Do Son. Beautiful white florals, makes you think of late spring/early summer gardens in bloom.

Day 5: Byredo Gypsy Water. Another sweet and floral fragrance, with awful longevity but since I have the travel spray I do love having an excuse to respritz.

Colette by Tocca is apparently an exact match for Gypsy Water, and I find Colette lasts nearly all day on me. It also lingers on clothing for days. I wear Colette more than any other fragrance, actually, and I've gone through three bottles.

Day 4 Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1930

From the website:

Marlene Dietrich, cigarette and seduction, 1930s Oriental

Top notes: mandarin, cinnamon, clarysage

Heart notes: tobacco, heliotrope, lavender

Base notes: vanilla, cedar wood, musks

Loooove! Smokey cinnamon that dried down to a really warm vanilla with a hint of musk or maybe it's the cedar wood? I can't really decide but I like it. By now I know that these fragrances don't last long, this one was better about 4-5hrs. If Besame offers their fragrances in larger bottles again, I'll buy a bottle.

Spoiler
Day 3: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1920

From the website:
Top notes: mandarin, juniper berry, galbanum

Heart notes: jasmine, violet, muguet, suede

Base notes: cocoa, myrrh, amber, musks

It's okay. A nice floral that got soapy, only lasted about 3 hours. Not for me.

Day 2: Besame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance 1910
Day 1: Cartier Baiser Vole

Dear gods, this one sounds amazing! I may have to get it.

Day 2 Creed Vanille Sublime, my wedding fragrance, I adore this scent. 

Day 3 Jimmy Choo, I have a huge bottle of this and don't love it. I think I should like it more than I actually do if that makes sense..? Good fragrance for night time though, husband always wants to cuddle up when I wear this.

Day 4 Chloe Love Story, sample vial. Light, flowery, does not last long on my skin at all. Very meh. 

I got the Jimmy Choo as a gift a few years back, and I couldn't stand it...it kind of made me sick. So I sold it to a coworker who gladly took it 😄

Day 4: YSL Mon Paris

I sprayed it on and immediately scrunched my nose at the overwhelming candy sweetness. That said, I loved it about 8 hours later. Very long wearing but still not sure I want to deal with TOO sweet for so long initially.

Day 4: Tory Burch Love Relentlessly

I love the inspiration behind this scent - the love story between her parents 🙂

Day 4- Tory Burch, Tory Burch.

Notes- Neroli, Grapefruit, Cassis, Bergamot, Peony, Tuberose, Jasmine Sambac, Vetiver, Sandalwood.

It's ok. I wanted to buy a full size bottle a long while back...honestly though not for the perfume...but the white gwp bag 😄

testing