PrittyBritty27

why does my makeup ALWAYS look so cakey ):

no matter what i do  my face looks so cakey! some days i just use loreal magic bb cream because i dont have bad skin and can get away with a light coverage but even then (with a small amount of that applied) it still looks really cakey! also sometimes i just use a bare minerals powder foundation lightly on my face with a little bronzer and i still look cakey! id say less cakey then i do with a liquid but still noticeably cakey! ive tried just about every drug store foundation out there as well along with a mac foundation and still...cakey ): (is it me or am i saying cakey alot?! bahah) 

also i apply my liquid or cream foundation with sigmas f80 and any powder with a big soft fluffy brush (but i rarley use powder) 

im not really sure of my skin type...id say maybe on the drier side but i do get oily in the t zone area! i have rather large pores in certain areas and TONS of little blonde hairs on my face! 

i wash my face daily with cetaphil and exfoliate atleast once a week (:

hopefully thats enough info for someone to help find me some answers!  ((: thanks in advance!

kd006

Re: why does my makeup ALWAYS look so cakey ):

In everything that you mentioned for products, you didn't say you are using a moisturizer, are you using one? What one are you using if so?

Since you have dry skin it can make your makeup look cakey with a brush. You should purchase a beauty blender to make your makeup look more smooth. When you use a brush with dry skin, you are doing a mini exfoliation and it causes your skin to look flakey because the product sticks to it. When you use a beauty blender, just lightly press it on your skin.

Also, when you powder, don't powder all over your face. Just powder in your tzone or where you need it. You can quickly get cakey with powder.

Diana gave you great suggestions for primers. The smashbox one is my favorite. As for foundations, I like the benefit one that diana suggested you as well. If you want a drugstore alternative you should look at BB creams. My favorite as of now is the garnier one. Since you have a dry skin you want a light powder, like rimmel stay matte.

Bare Minerals is definitely not the right choice if you have dehydrated skin. I could never make their foundation look good on me. You should also look into cream blushes. Stila makes great ones. They will make your skin look more dewy than a powder. Hope this helps!

dianabt

Re: why does my makeup ALWAYS look so cakey ):

Hi PrittyBritty27,

It's possible that the "cake face" look is coming from dry and dehydrated skin (try adding a hydrating primer and night cream to your routine as well as drinking more water) or it could really just be the types of makeup you are using. Powder foundations are known to be slightly heavier (Bare Minerals can look a bit dryer on the face if you are slightly dehydrated and Mac is rather heavy and more of a studio makeup-not always the best for everyday use!) so you may want to swap to a cream or mousse makeup that will be a bit more hydrating, or just a new radiant finish liquid makeup.

Primers

Smashbox Hydrating Primer

Photo Finish Hydrating Foundation Primer

Laura Mercier Hydrating Primer

Foundation Primer - Hydrating

Stila Hydrating Oil Free Primer (great for pores!)

Hydrating Primer Oil-Free SPF 30

Hydrating Foundations

Smashbox Halo Powder Foundation

HALO Hydrating Perfecting Powder & Brush Set

Benefit Oxygen Wow Foundation

'Hello Flawless!' Oxygen Wow Liquid Foundation

Diorskin Nude Skin Glowing Makeup

Diorskin Nude Skin-Glowing Makeup SPF 15

Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation

Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced