PrittyBritty27

why does my makeup ALWAYS look so cakey ):

no matter what i do  my face looks so cakey! some days i just use loreal magic bb cream because i dont have bad skin and can get away with a light coverage but even then (with a small amount of that applied) it still looks really cakey! also sometimes i just use a bare minerals powder foundation lightly on my face with a little bronzer and i still look cakey! id say less cakey then i do with a liquid but still noticeably cakey! ive tried just about every drug store foundation out there as well along with a mac foundation and still...cakey ): (is it me or am i saying cakey alot?! bahah) 

also i apply my liquid or cream foundation with sigmas f80 and any powder with a big soft fluffy brush (but i rarley use powder) 

im not really sure of my skin type...id say maybe on the drier side but i do get oily in the t zone area! i have rather large pores in certain areas and TONS of little blonde hairs on my face! 

i wash my face daily with cetaphil and exfoliate atleast once a week (:

hopefully thats enough info for someone to help find me some answers!  ((: thanks in advance!

Melissastacie

Re: why does my makeup ALWAYS look so cakey ):

moisture! Even if you think its doing nothing do not stop moistuizing!

I used to have the same problem however i found a routine:

1. PRIME- I use BareMinerals Regular pump primer (forgive me i forgot the name but it came in a sample and i loved it) I use about 1.5pumps. On your hand so you can warm it,

2. Smashbox BB cream (For me Light works well) put about about half a dime size on your hand (to warm) And then take your brush i use either Sephora Mineral brush or Sephora Airbrush brush, the airbush set is wonderful HIGHLY recommend it.

3. DIP THAN DAB. meaning dip the bush on your makeup and dab onto your checks then chin then forehead. after your done dabbing. BLEND BLEND BLEND. (btw it blends very nicely). BEFORE YOU THINK YOU NEED MORE keep blending let it sit for about 2 mins come back to it.

4. need more coverage? repeat.

After all this i press powder under my eyes and on my chin and forehead to keep myself matte.

continue you makeup process from there.

Invest in quality brushes again I REALLY like Sephora brushes, they do the job for me. i hate mac brushes. Ill never waste my money again. (sorry to say)

Hope this helps :-)

V.I.B- Melissa

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@PrittyBritty-Sure! Yes. I would be more than glad to help you find the right shade. Your color is gorgeous in that picture very summery.For now I would go to the NC25 and definitely you could easily move to the NC35 for summer. Hope this helps! If you need anything else please let me know!:smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

@emmaclaire-Everyone has their own opinions no apologies needed but I have to disagree about MAC being low quality foundations.I'm super picky about makeup and skin care and I've worn the Studiofix powder foundation for 10 yrs+ and have been from A to Z and with all the money I've spent I could've bought a small house in the bahamas. But I really do like them so I'll gladly say we agree to disagree:smileyhappy:

PrittyBritty27

(0) Hearts

thanks for the suggestions!! ((: but like i said below i JUST starting using the mac one and the  bare minerals (its just a sample size) but before that i have tried all the drugstore foundations and even just use a bb cream some days and it still looks cakey ): ill look into the nars one tho! (:

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I understand the frustration.  When I was younger I tried a ton of drugstore foundations and MAC, and I had the same results - cake city.  I think dry skin plus low quality foundations equals cakeface.  If it's not an option to get a new foundation (seriously, please at least get a sample of the Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation, it will change your outlook on foundation in general!!!) a good fix is to mix half of your foundation with a light moisturizer.  It will sheer it out appropriately, help avoid dryness, and add a little "glow" to your complexion.

And stay away from MAC! :smileytongue: Ok, that's just my opinion, sorry!

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

PrittyBritty27- You won't have to mix to get the right match. go online right now and talk to a MAC artist and tell them what you think you need and the color you are wearing. I wear NW 30 and I don't mix anything and my color is matched perfect. Seriously they have live chat and just talk to one and just remember less is more!:smileyhappy:

emmaclaire

Alright, I'll say it.  That's MAC for you.  It sounds like you're using foundations that aren't really well known for their light and natural look.  I have absolutely HATED MAC foundations since I first tried them and nothing has changed since.  If you have good skin, you SHOULD NOT be using a full coverage foundation!!!!  I really can't stress that enough, even with all those exclamation points.  

Make the investment in a nice liquid foundation with lighter coverage and a better reputation, and go with something that has a natural or satin finish to help keep your skin hydrated and fresh.  My BIGGEST recommendation would be Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation - it's just beautiful, it looks like clean healthy radiant skin, and the coverage sounds right for your skin.  It's also a nice mix of hydrating and oil control, and comes in pretty much every skin tone imaginable.

Don't set the foundation with another foundation powder, either!  Bare Minerals is a foundation!  Girl, you're wearing two full coverage foundations and you don't know why you're cakey?!  Get a translucent setting powder (I recommend Tarte, Make Up For Ever HD, or NARS setting powder) and ever so slightly dust a tiny bit across your t-zone.

Also, after you put your foundation on, buff your entire face with a buffing brush for a minute to really blend it perfectly.  Caking happens when you have too much product on your face, so you're also going to need to use MUCH less than you think you need.

PrittyBritty27

(0) Hearts

i soooo just wish i had a mac in my area to match me! ugh!

PrittyBritty27

(0) Hearts

hahah you didnt hurt my feelings! (: and ive actually been thinking about switching to that! i just got my mac foundation yesterday and its a tad bit light (nc20) for my skin tone at the moment and ive only been in the sun once this summer so far and im usually out every weekend and a few times during the week! while you are hear...baha do you think you could help me find the right shade?? right now im not to tan but in the summer i get this color 

so if i use a powder foundation will i be able to mix them to get the right shade?? i was thinking about ordering another mac foundation in like...nc35 or nc45 so i can mix them together to get a right shade but will i be able to do that with a powder?

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

You know with what you using now you could easily switch over to the MAC Studiofix powder foundation and it would look so much better. I have used it for 10+ years and really love it,I just do that and then a touch of MUFE's HD powder and that's all then I do my blush and everything else. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings I just wanted to help.:smileyhappy: But yeah take an actual picture of what your skin looks like.

PrittyBritty27

(0) Hearts

honestly i thinking my only option left is to not wear any makeup at all ): i'm just starting my day here but once i get moving and get a shower and put some makeup on ill take a picture so everyone can see what it actually looks like on my skin! it honestly is pretty  close to the girl in the picture below tho ):

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Lordy girl ! Are you open to more options because the pictures look like you use it to spackle a wall with that makeup.:smileytongue:

PrittyBritty27

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

its the pro full coverage foundation but before i starting using that which was yesterday lmao! i was using  loreal true match! 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Is it the StudioTech or Studiofix liquid foundation?

PrittyBritty27

(0) Hearts

nope! for a while now ive been using bobbi brown correcter under my eyes, then i apply my foundation (atm its mac full coverage that i sheer out a  bit with some mac fix plus sprayed on my brush) then i sweep bare minerals well rested under my eyes to brighten it (: i also use revlon bronzer to contour and a cream highlight but i dont always use a highlight! 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Do you apply more than one foundation?

PrittyBritty27

(0) Hearts

hi everyone! thank you for your suggestions ((: as far as using my hands vs a makeup brush or beauty blender i have tried all the options (actually i was using just a cheap beauty blender from walgreens) but i was using my hands for a long time, then a foundation brush, then the beauty blender, and i justttt recieved my sigma brush in the mail yesterday! i was really hoping the brush was going to be my answer to my makeup looking smooth but it wasnt ): ill go get the nars primer today or tomorrow and give that a try tho! (:cakey.jpgthis isnt a picture of me but thats what my foundation looks like when i apply it! and as far as moisturizer i use cetaphil daily face lotion and at night i use an olay night cream! i also use an olay eye cream at night too (: and idk if this matters but i use nutrogena makeup wipes to remove my makeup and if i dont feel like washing my face before i apply my makeup i use the simple exfoliating wipes!

jennypenny1995

Okay, you've got combo skin and sound like you're exfoliating just enough.  I would be the cure is to apply your liquid foundations with your clean fingers.  The warmth of our skin helps melt the product and smoothe it.  It also saves a LOT of wasted product that gets trapped into your brush or sponge.  I personally apply a pea-sized amount of foundation onto the top of my hand and use my other hand to apply a little at a time.  I do NOT spot it all over my face and then blend it because I found that it can cake in those areas as it dries too fast before I get to that area.

So, use your fingers.  Cake is for birthday parties!

kenny

I second all the other suggestions:smileyhappy:

Also I found sometimes my makeup applied cakey when I used a makeup brush. Like @kd006 said a beauty blender could help, or even using clean fingers, this really helps the product blend into your skin rather than sitting on top

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Along with the other suggestions using an exfoliator will help your skin look smoother and your makeup go on better. Hope this helps!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kenny
    • emmaclaire
    • dianabt
    • jennypenny1995
    • beautylovingirl
    • kd006