sephoralover28

questioning derm's makeup advice

My acne has been pretty bad over the last 6-8 months to the point I had painful cysts and a lot of inflammation/redness. I gave in and saw a dermatologist. After two weeks, my skin is looking much calmer with less redness and active breakouts. I still have a lot of hyperpigmentation that I have to cover and will later treat. One thing she said is bothering me still. She advised me to not use any makeup counter/high end skincare or makeup products on my face. Since these products are made for mature skin and drugstore products are for teenage skin. This means only drugstore foundation, primer, setting powders, concealer, etc. I do not have teenage skin. I am a 30 year old adult with acne. I normally use Kat Von D's liquid and MUFE due to the great pigments, color range, and full coverage. This can't be found in drugstore foundation. I have tried. Has anyone else been told this or had experience with this? I honestly think this is crap, but wondered if anyone else had heard this or wanted to chime in about it.

sephoralover28

Re: questioning derm's makeup advice

[ Edited ]

If I had to guess her age, she might be in her early 40s. Most of what she said seemed logical and knowledgable minus the makeup advice. This is only the second derm I have visited, so I may seek out a new one if I still have second thoughts on her advice and results in several months. Thanks for everyones responses! I thought her statement was so weird I had to share!

PoesRevy

Hi sephoralover28,

That is an odd statement for the derm to have said...In my experiences, they may wish to know if or what you are using (or taking, if on a medication) to understand how best treat your skin issues and/or for possible irritation/or reaction that could occur from prescribing a med.

My derm has never given makeup "restrictions", only the "You are wearing sunscreen, right?"

Take care

pinkonyx

my derm has  never told me which make up to use, BUT I was advised while on certain acne medication to only use cetaphil skincare, and my sister got the same advice from a derm too.

*you could always get a second opinion from another derm

*or you could always try his.her advice and see if it works

jennypenny1995

I'm a nurse, and I have 2 comments: 1) The same ingredients for makeup are in counter and drug store brands.  Skin care differs, but a cheek color?  Same ingredients/chemicals.  2) I've had SO many patients and other nurses say through the years that derms ever towards having you buy whatever brand they have in their office, which tends to be pricey.

I'm in my 30s, have had cystic acne since I was 19, and am now 8 months free from all of it.  All I did is SIMPLIFY my skin care.  i tossed the physical exfoliators/scrubs, used a glycolic acid mask instead to exfoliate and lessen the redness twice weekly (Murad's Pomegranate Mask), used 1 product daily with salicylic acid in it to unclog pores (Clinique's #3 toner), and used a mild cleanser (Clinique's Mild Liquid) that doesn't strip.  The makeup hasn't changed; just the skin care.

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

I'll add in a third nurse vote for "BS" :smileyvery-happy:

anaa

(0) Hearts

By the way just saw the comment asking if she's "older"; I'm 59 and I am aware of the wide array of choices available, so I don't think that was the reason for her statement.  Additionally I own a ton of Urban Decay and Too Faced products, so I'm not sure what her age might have to do with anything.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I asked about age, because I was a nurse and come from a family of doctors. This is a very generalized statement... but many older doctors are stuck in their ways and don't like to try new practices & learn new techniques. Very general statement... but our holiday dinners can get very heated over the "right" way to treat a patient. 

As far as the makeup brands that I mention, again a general statement. I don't think they were made for mature women in mind, and aren't marketed that way either, BUT that doesn't mean a mature woman can't wear it. Just like a younger woman can wear Lancome & Este Lauder, 2 known brands that USED to market to more mature women. 

Times have changed & so has makeup and skincare. Didn't mean to offend anyone, sorry

anaa

(0) Hearts

I'm totally confused by what she's saying.  Both drugstore brands and high end brands have different product lines for different age groups and skin types.  I can't figure out what she meant by that advice.  I think as long as you try to stick with an oil free product without ingredients you could be allergic to, it doesn't matter where you buy it.  It's great that she was able to help you with your skin issues, but her makeup advice really has no basis.

DTalksAll

Isn't Murad's newest Acne line made for the 20-40? 

Is she older? Maybe she's still stuck in the mentality that Clinique, Este Lauder, Lancome & Elizabeth Arden are the only players in the game. I don't see how companies like Kat Von D, Urban Decay, Too Faced... are for mature skin. I also don't think their main demographic is teens, otherwise they wouldn't be so expensive. 

I think skincare has come a long way over the years. We now have products available to us that help prevent early signs of aging, but aren't as concentrated as products for mature skin. I think it's one of the reasons why there are so many products that have retinol in them. It's one of those miracle ingredients that helps treat fine lines, prevent new ones, plumps skin, and helps with acne. I'm also 30, and my friend who's a derm told me years ago to start using OTC retinol to help with my milia, acne & prevent early signs of aging. 

sephoralover28

My only thought is she felt my makeup maybe contributing to my breakouts or aggravating it like several members mentioned. This could be true, but I am more convinced it is stress, hormone related. We will see in 6-8 more weeks. Drugstore vs. High end makeup comes down to you pay for what you get, I think. Better color selection, formulas for certain skin types, etc. You could easily breakout or experience an allergic reaction from either depending on your skin. Lots of people experience acne and still use high end makeup/skin care to treat or deal with it. I really wish I would have asked more questions about this and inquired about this issue since it has me thinking. Maybe she is anti-Sephora. In that case, we can't be friends and I can no longer be her patient. It just won't be working out I'm afraid.

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

Are you using non-clogging, oil-free makeup and fragrance free? For some makeup, it's better to go outside of the drugstore like foundation.

Since you still have questions, can't you call the office and ask her to call?

sephoralover28

I do use oil-free, non-clogging foundation and try to avoid anything with a strong scent for skin care or foundation in fear of irritation. I was using cetaphil/cera ve in the dry skin formula since I tend to have dry skin. She advised me to go oil free everything and use the cetaphil acne oil free line for now. She advised that acne feeds off oil and bacteria. Eliminating oil, although I don't get super oily, would help cut down on the bacteria and acne.  Seems logical.

midnightangel

Sounds like your dermatologist has been sniffing glue.

I've been seeing mine for the better part of 20 years and he has never asked which makeup brands I use - only whether or not I wear any.

Perhaps you should get a 2nd opinion.

makeupmaven

Yep, I don't agree either. So many brands have regimens for various age groups...sounds like she's telling you to use drugstore products even though she thinks those are for teens...and you're clearly not a teen either!

AllyKatVA

The only thing I can figure is that she sees a lot of people using super strong high end anti-aging products and then coming in wondering why their skin is not responding well (probably because you are 20 and using a product meant to moisturize a 60 year old woman with dry skin and minimize her major wrinkles). I do think that sometimes people get a little too proactive with their skincare: if you do not already have deep wrinkles, you do not need a product made to correct them. Preventing damage generally does not require super strong ingredients/products. Of course, as mentioned below, most companies have so many different options it seems absurd to use price rather than ingredients to determine which products are best. Now, if she had said that one of the products you were using had ingredient X that might be causing problems, that would be a different story.

To be fair, mismatching products to one's skin is not restricted to any one type or age. A friend who used to work at the Body Shop who told me that their tea tree oil line was EXTREMELY strong, and was really made for people with serious oil and acne problems. She still saw plenty of people with normal skin buy it (because people who needed it gave it great reviews) and then return it when their skin did not respond well because it was way too strong. When I worked at a luxury beauty boutique, I saw women whose skin would probably benefit more from anti-aging lines go for the über basic line that was more for young, normal skin that did not need much moisture/help/care. Sometimes it was okay (they were happy with what it did), but sometimes they came back mad that their skin was not improving/more moisturized/insert perk. My advice? Use your head and your common sense. If your products are not comedogenic and do not seem to have ill effects, keep them. If you suspect one of them may have something that is bothering you, add them back one at a time to see if you have a reaction.

*gets down from soapbox*

oklady2013

I guess I'll weigh in here. When I was teenager the "drug store brands are for teenage skin" sent my skin in to an up roar. Once I got it calmed &  under control  I tried those "high end makeup products for mature skin" & guess what? It didn't send my skin into an uproar even with needing to mix a couple products to get a fairly good foundation shade match. Foundation shades were really limited back then. You might want to look at your face makeup ingredients & see if there is a common ingredient or 3 that you may have become sensitized to. Some people do develop sensitivities & even allergies to some ingredients over time.  You might want to try brands that may have fewer known sensitizing ingredients like Clinique, Tarte,  or Becca  (I think). Also, maybe try lighter weight foundations that are oil free. If you use primer you might want to consider a water based primer. I'd try adding back in 1 makeup product at a time to see what might be the culprit product(s). As for what your derm said, I wonder what she is basing the drug store = teenage skin, high end-mature skin theory on. Maybe she read some small study some where or may be it's just her perceptions.  You might consider asking her why she said what she did & what she basing it on. I must admit I've heard a lot of advice  when it comes to makeup over the course of time but this is the 1st I've ever heard of this particular advice.. I hope your skin clears up fairly quickly for you. Good Luck.

annekevdb

That makes no sense to me. Drug store brands make things for both young and mature skin. High end brands also make things for dry, oily, etc. types of skin. You may be sensitive to certain ingredients that appear in one type or the other. I have super sensitive skins and have to be very careful or both high and drug store brands - but not because of age or whatever. 

ghkim

sounds hokey to me. i can understand telling you to put no makeup on your face, but only drugstore brands? doesn't make any sense.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Wow!  I never heard that before but I can surely tell you that if I listened to everything the doctors told me I'd be in really bad shape right now.  It has nothing to do with skin care but in general I think you have to take some and leave some from what doctors tell you.  You kinda have to be your own doctor. Do your own research and come to your own conclusions.  You do what's best for you and no one but you will know that.  They did go to school for that but aren't masters of the universe. And after all it is a business like any other right? Not sure if this makes any sense...

kalex

I question your derm's intelligence honestly.  The statement regarding mature skin vs teenage skin and high-end/drugstore is complete BS.  I will not argue that some higher-end brand skincare (like Chanel) is more tailored towards mature skin (and therefore may contain ingredients not suitable for acne prone skin) but there is no reason to exclude all high-end cosmetics.

As a 33 year-old with acne I just make sure to only use products that are non-comedogenic, and/or I always check online reviews from others with my skin type. If the products you love are working well with your new skincare routine then by all means keep using them.  (And maybe find a new derm.)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 30 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • anaa
    • sephoralover28
    • jennypenny1995