liquid vs. powder foundation for oily skin

[ Edited ]

Hi ladies, Which formula would be better for very oily skin? liquid foundation, loose powder & pressed powder? I heard many different sayings, but so far only one thing is agreed upon, use oil-free moisturizer and primer before hand.... please give your suggestions! thanks!

Re: liquid vs. powder foundation for oily skin

If you have very oily skin then a powder foundation is probably going to be best. I would recommend that you look at Kat Von D's new powder foundation or MUFE's multi-use pro finish powder foundation or MAC studiofix powder foundation is what I use and I absolutely love it. I finish with the smallest touch  of MUFE HD powder, all you have to use is what is left in the lid after you open it. Just apply with a big fluffy powder brush and roll over you face don't buff it in or it won't look as good. Hope this helps!

(0) Hearts

Since it's summer time, im just using a tinted moisturizer for my oily skin and finishing it off with tartes translucent powder. No shine for me and no cake face Smiley Happy 

(0) Hearts

I really think it's personal preference. As long as you use a good primer you should be okay. I think for each type of formulation there are some really great long-lasting options. For powder foundation I really like MUFE ProFinish Powder Foundation. And for liquid I like Kat Von D Lock-it or MUFE Face and Body.

(0) Hearts

thank you!!

(0) Hearts

I use mineral powder foundation. I just don't know how is it possible to even use liquid foundation, especially if it's summer and you're sweating.

(0) Hearts

I do the same thing especially in summer

(0) Hearts

I too have very oily skin, and I have been using clinique liquid foundation over top of my bare minerals primer. I have been very impressed by both of these products because of how well they control my oil. Over top of the foundation I use the rimmel stay matte powder which might contribute to the oil control. Hope this helps!

- Cassidy

(0) Hearts

I am a total mineral powder foundation convert, especially since I prefer medium coverage for my oily skin. However if you are looking for medium to full coverage then liquid might be a better choice.

(0) Hearts

I tried mineral foundation for oily skin because I've heard it's so good but I feel like I still get super oily. I feel like I'm doing something wrong with it!!

(0) Hearts

In general loose powder gives a better finish (or so ppl say, loose/pressed same for me), but loose powder is messy so I always go for pressed powder. I would recommend pressed powder foundation for oily skin, the only liquid I would recommend if you really want to try is Urban Decay Naked cuz it's lightweight and dries to a powder/semi-matte finish.

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

I have quite oily skin and I'm living in a very humid climate - I'd advise liquid first then powder.

I find powder doesn't cover as much as I want it to, so I use an oil-free liquid foundation over my primer, and I finish it off with a mineral based powder. Usually, I'm shine-free until the end of the work day!

Good luck! Smiley Happy

I agree, I've tried powder alone and it doesn't look right. I'm using Tarte Maracuja Foundation and setting with Inglot loose powder. I swear this powder is amazing at deflecting the size of pores and so inexpensive for the amount of product you receive,

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 12 in conversation