Carmen1986

Your Thoughts : Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Supercharged Foundation ?

So I am going to be posting about foundation reviews before purchasing them. I don't want to get into a position like I did with the Kat Von D. 

Anyways, I own a sample of this well sought after foundation and I was wondering out of those on here who wear it, what is your thoughts on this product ?. 

How long does this foundation wear typically ?

Is a setting powder necessary with this foundation ?

What type of coverage is it and is enough to cover redness/acne scars well ?

Is this good in hot/warm environments or fast paced moving ?

Anything else you can share is most welcome :-)

starletta8

Re: Your Thoughts : Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Supercharged Foundation ?

(0) Hearts

I love it.  I've been testing it for a couple of weeks (generous sample/I use just a bit) and adore it.  I already bought the full-sized bottle.

It's very sheer (which is what I wanted since I wear a TM during the summer), but buildable.  I use setting powder because I'm obsessing over Les Beiges right now, but it's not necessary.

Unlike Roxystar, I'm pulling foundation off at the end of the day, usually around hour 16-18 of wear.  My current routine is: Veil Hourglass Primer, Benefit Boi-ing for areas that need concealer not around my eyes, MJ Foundation, Les Beiges.  And it wears like iron on me.

My summer go-to that's not totally sheer is Bobbi Brown Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer, btw.

roxystar4

ive used a sample of it (used it 4 times now).

I liked the color selection & was able to find a great match BUT the coverage was very light and i found this foundation wears off (was almost none left by the end of the day).  I also set my foundation with powder.

I like it but don't love (wont buy it).

sephoramusthave

(0) Hearts

I've got my sample of the marc Jacobs genius gel foundation on today. Here are my thoughts....

Its sheer coverage. I buffed on 2 layers and I never put more than one layer on because I've got good skin. When I'm splurging on a high end foundation I want it to take my skin from good to *flawless*. I used a transparent loose powder over it to set it in place and I do really like it, but for the money the coverage just isn't good enough. It has a nice smell and I used a stippling brush to buff it into skin. Tomorrow I'm gonna use the rest of my sample and apply it with my fingers to see if I can get more coverage that way. I haven't worn it long enough to notice whether or not it irritates my skin so I hope it doesn't break me out. So far, I'm rating it as 3 stars just because the formula is similar to drugstore foundation--liquidy, and sheer.

However, I am still massively interested in trying the shadow palettes, the gel liner, the bronzer, and lipstick.

lolo01

I do not recomment the MJ foundation, I purchased this foundation and it doesnt last nor does it provide sufficient coverage. As for acne, scars and redness this wont really cover much its buildable yes but not enough coverage. Sad to say I was very dissapointed. Hope this helps.

aviscardi

Same here, I don't usually have an issue with fdn wearing off. but i had a sample i tried, and even wore a shade up at home to see if that helped. My nose gets red and it barely covered, let alone started to wear early on. I didn't get oily with it but it was just eh. I couldn't recommend it for cvg. i thought it was going to be more like the chanel vitalumiere aqua

Carmen1986

Thanks for your imput it's a shame that he's all into packaging and not into making a DECENT product especially for a high end designer.

I should spank Mr. Jacobs and say smarten up your makeup line !

Titian06

Carmen - Have you given any thought to Tarte Amazonian Clay Powder?  I never thought I would use a powder again after my unpleasant experience with BE.  This powder is completely different.  Using Tarte's Airbuki brush is an absolute must.  Rather than lightly buffing the powder on your skin like BE, you buff it into your skin with purpose, like your pushing it into your skin.  It's buildable.  You don't need a finishing/setting powder, though I use one.  This stuff will not budge!  I don't even have to blot!

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

I will have to check out this Tarte powder. I wonder do they do samples and do you need to use that brush or can I use my Sephora # 56 to apply it ?. 

viviene23

(0) Hearts

I like it. My go to foundation is Armani fusion and Jouer. I normally wear light to medium coverage foundations just enough to cover redness and small imperfections here and there. I got a sample when it was first launched and I thought it was just meh. When I first sampled it, I used Dior airflash cc primer underneath. Surprisingly, my husband complimented my makeup, he said my skin look good. I went shopping in sephora that day...I wanted to get matched in skinIQ and when the associate was about to scan my skin, I asked her if I should take my foundation off and she said I don't even look like I have foundation on. She gave me some makeup remover and I can see the difference with foundation on one side and none on the other side of my face. It did not blow me away when I first used it but it actually evened out my skin and covered my redness. Its similar to armani fusion in that it feels so light like you have nothing on.I have occasional hormonal acne on my chin and this foundation does not cling to the dryness around it. I didn't experience any cakiness and no dry patches neither.  I have combination skin leaning oily and only had to powder my nose towards the end of the day but I don't know if that is because of the foundation or my cc primer or both. Since you have the sample, I'd say try it out first and see if you like it yourself. Same with other foundations and hopefully you find your perfect foundation. Goodluck!

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i have to second the Dior primer, its incredible

annonymous1

Hey Carmen! i feel like i'm replying to all your post's today :smileyhappy:

well unfortunatly i tried the MJ foundation with a sample in store, to awnser your questions i was NOT impressed with this product, and neither was the girl helping me in store, she told me how dissapointed she was....anyway, it wore off my skin (with primer and setting spray etc) it wore off in about two hours, and i don't even have oily skin, its very light coverage, its not enough to hide redness not even minimal acne scars, i live in miami, FL and i think thats the reason it wore off so quickly, i really wanted to love this product but i was really dissapointed, plus it was really expensive, so i'm glad i didnt splurge on it.

Marc-Jacobs-Foundation-9046.jpg

this is a swatch from beautyzine.com, its really light....

ellevee09

Aahh man! I really wanted to try MJ foundation. I live in Texas and the heat is the same over here. :smileysad: I've been keeping my distance from Sephora cause I cant stop myself! :smileyhappy: but by chance have you tried the Stila stay all day foundation & concealer in One. the SA told me it was bomb and gave me a sample but ugh I lost that little thing. :smileysad: any thoughts? 

annonymous1

i've heard great things about Stila foundation, my bestfriend who is a makeup junkie like me (maybe even worse then me) swears by this foundation, its light-medium coverage but the concealer is full coverage and she said it works very good as a system. she said its also very illuminating like it makes your skin look almost dewey

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

Hey again lol

I like your feedback, very honest and to the point :-).

I was wearing it after my FIRST consultation with my artist at Sephora. I thought hmmm this isn't bad I suppose. I mean I started a sweat storm and yeah it kinda went wonky on me lol. So looks like I will not be purchasing that one anytime soon. I love the experimenting process of makeup. The ability to have samples to test out as many foundations as I want. Definitely helps me narrow down what will be considered part of my collection.

Thanks for your post girl !

annonymous1

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

No worries! Unfortunately, foundation is the hardest thing to find...at least for me like there's so many things a foundation needs to do that most of them don't do.

the best one i've found is the Makeup forever HD Foundation i've been using it for 3 years now...before using that i was using the Diorshow Airflash Foundation, it sprays out like hairspray its sort of weird lol but its very full coverage, it covers everything, its just a little expensive, but if its not bad for you i would recommend that too :smileyhappy:

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

Well what I need right now is one foundation that'd be dedicated for my daily work routine. Then I would play with other products for outside of my job. I'm going to look into the HD next and maybe sometime ill look into the Dior Airflash as well. I got a list of products I wanna try anyways lol.

Right now my top fave foundations are as follows. 

* Make Up Forever Face & Body and that I been using for ages even prior to my transition. I just find the colors are less natural but the coverage is fantastic on me.

* Maybelline Fit Me ( Liquid ) This product in my opinion is not given the credit it should. It's not a product i'd wear for more then 8 hours tops. I like the smooth finish I get with this. It looks very airbrushed on my face.

* Covergirl 3 in 1 I liked this product, the first time I had issues with blending it but when I did get it on it does a good job especially in fairly warm weather. 

* Revlon Colorstay A product that has been on shelves for 20 + years, it had been a pain to get it to apply properly without it drying till I owned the Sigma F80. I don't own it anymore but it's a good product that gives you decent coverage. 

Issues is most of these are great weekend or outside of work types of foundations. Still looking for that one product that can keep me looking flawless for hours. I usually apply my makeup at say Noon hour and I get home well after midnight. Close to 13 hours of wear, and sweat and oil breaking through. Plus the stupid air conditioning being on one day then the heat being on the next. Hahaha a foundation that can be like glue is going to be the ultimate foundation I use for work lol. 

annonymous1

You should try the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, truthfully it says 12 hours, but it lasts AT LEAST 8 on everyone i know, its also full coverage :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 17 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1
    • roxystar4
    • viviene23
    • ellevee09