Meg82

What's your favorite foundation?

So I think I'm going to take the plunge and try foundation instead of my usual bb cream and I'm debating what kind to get.  One of Sephora's MUA did my  makeup with foundation a few weeks ago and I was MUFE HD 120.  It felt pretty good and looked awesome, but I don't know enough about it to really know.

So what do you look for in a foundation?  And what kind is your favorite?

Carmen1986

Re: What's your favorite foundation?

(0) Hearts

My all time favorite foundation is the Make Up Forever Face & Body foundation. It's a gel consistency and it blends quite well for a very smooth flawless finish. It's definitely a product you could get a sample of for sure.

My other faves are as follows

Maybelline Superstay 24 HR

Maybelline Fit Me ! Liquid 

Revlon PhotoReady Liquid 

Revlon Colorstay Combo/Oily 

Covergirl 3 In 1 Stay Fabulous 

infinitise

(0) Hearts

MUFE HD was my first foundation 

it was okay.. wouldn't buy again.. 

if you have normal skin without imperfections, its great but its not great for combination skin during the "break down" process.. 

I love my Guerlain Lingerie De peau.. very pretty... 

I haven't found one yet that is as great 

LindenAnn

(0) Hearts

I am super pale but on the yellow side of neutral, so it's really hard to find good color matches. My favorite right now is Hourglass Illusion tinted moisturizer, which is really more of a foundation consistency with medium coverage. I have really dry skin and it's very hydrating which I like, but I know other people who have less dry skin complained that it was too heavy.

Another one that I really liked because of how natural it looked was the Dior Forever, but it tended to oxidize on me (but not on my twin sister, go figure.)

knadala

(0) Hearts

Revlon Nearly Naked and Benefit Cosmetics WOW liquid foundation.

mberteig

[ Edited ]

I'm in my 40's and my skin in normal with areas of dry.  My nose, chin and cheeks are red and I look for a foundation with enough coverage to cover up the redness and have it stay all day, or as long as possible!

I only apply foundation in the areas where I need it, like nose, chin, etc, and blend it out.  I don't put foundation on my forehead or the sides of my face, as I don't need it in those areas.  I put a pea sized amount of foundation and either use a brush (Sephora pro airbrush #56) or a sponge to blend it in. 

Foundations I like are tarte Amazonian clay, Dior Nude Hydrating, Sephora microsmooth powder (I use this by itself as a powder foundation and I also use it as a setting powder on top of liquid foundations), the Sephora Instant Radiance foundation that was just in the sale section, and Milani cream to powder compact (drugstore).

When I had my Color IQ done, I got a sample of the Nars Sheer Glow foundation and I really liked it, but I have not bought it (yet!).

http://www.sephora.com/amazonian-clay-12-hour-full-coverage-foundation-spf-15-P302918?skuId=1393370

http://www.sephora.com/diorskin-nude-skin-glowing-makeup-spf-15-P230421?skuId=1443480

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=SEPHORA%20COLLECTION%20Microsmooth%20Founda...

sugarluvv

Mufe Hd foundation.  I love how it blends flawlessly and leaves a smooth finish on my skin.   it comes in 25 different shades.  

katief241981

I love the Hourglass Immaculate liquid powder foundation! It dries to a powder finish and is so soft.  You can build the coverage and get anything from light to full coverage which is one thing I love about it.  I went to the store and they tried like 6 different foundations on me and that is the one I chose.  

snowshoe

I try various products, but I always keep coming back to Smashbox Studio Skin.  2.1 is the best match for me, it looks great, wears well, does not oxidize, and I always receive compliments on how my skin looks.  The clincher was the MAC artist believing that I didn't have any foundation on--when I told her I actually did, she said it looked very natural.

Spyski

+1 for Smashbox Studio Skin! I've tried quite a few, and this is the one best for me. *Note: All shades run with a yellow undertone I've noticed, and the MUA at Sephora also pointed that one out.

spoiledbrat

Armani is my favorite now b/c Chanel keeps changing their colors so quickly - this last color change was it for me - foundation is important and to have to keeping finding a match is a pain in rear - i do love Chanel formulas and i am just as happy with Armani

linda84

[ Edited ]

I have combination skin that becomes dry in the winter. I tried many foundations before finding my absolute love! I LOVE Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua. I love a light coverage foundation that gives me glowy skin and Chanel does exactly that. I can also build it up to a medium coverage.

ghkim

mufe is awesome! how did it look on you by the end of the day? the only problem i've heard with it is that on some people it oxidizes. otherwise, if it is the right shade and it is the right finish, i would go for it. do you have dry or oily skin? are you looking for a matte or luminous finish? the mufe hd is better for normal to dry skin and has a satin (more luminous than matte) finish.

Meg82

It still looked great by the end of the day so I guess it doesn't oxidize on me.  My skin is combination but during the fall/winter it's definitely more dry and in the spring/summer it's oily.  So it sounds like this will work well for me right now but may need to re-evaluated as the temperature rises.  I am definitely looking for a satin finish so it sounds good there.

It looked great on me and that probably means I should just buy it anxiety free, but I am nervous b/c I've never tried foundation before.

ghkim

i would go for it. its one of my favorites. also, you can add a matiffying primer in the summer like the hourglass mineral veil. it sounds like is exactly what you are looking for!

DesertRose0706

i have oily skin, red patches and larger pores, so i look for something with medium to full coverage, that controls oil, stays in place all day and doesnt transfer.  So far the best one I have found that meets that criteria is Estee Lauder Double Wear.  The only thing I dont like, is that it doesnt come with a pump.

beethousand

I look for a good color match and something that doesn't break me out (extremely reactive skin here!). I like LM Silk Creme, LM Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer, Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua, and I'm currently enjoying Illamasqua Skin Base.

oklady2013

I look 1st for the best color match as I'm difficult to match. I've sampled the MUFE  HD but don't remember the color, could have been 110 or 115, but it was a  fairly good  match. Then I look for good coverage that lasts as my days can be long. Of course also want one my skin will not rebel against & doesn't settle in lines or accentuate pores. So far, my favorites have been LORAC Natural Performance, the MUFE sample one, Bare Minerals in Fair or Fairly Light (depending on the time of year), Graftobain crème makeup. There was one years ago from , hmmm, Estee Lauder or maybe Eliz. Arden long discontinued that matched best. I've read great reviews on Dior, Guerlain & Chanel but haven't gotten a color match yet.  would suggest getting a few samples & taking some photos with each foundation wearing the same clothes & in the same light. See which you feel makes you look your best. Then maybe try that one for lasting power, etc.

I'll be interested in seeing what you decide.

Good Luck.

glossyguru

What type of coverage are you looking for?

Meg82

Medium i think.  

glossyguru

Then I would go with Nars Sheer Glow. Don't worry, it's not overly glowy and will work with any skin type, just apply a moisturizer beforehand if you're dry. It gives medium coverage and has such a beautiful finish. It is expensive, but I bought mine 3 months ago, use it everyday, and it's not even halfway gone (maybe 3/5 left?) I would recommend getting a pump with it though, they are sold separately for $6 and it makes all the difference. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 41 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • spoiledbrat
    • linda84
    • DesertRose0706
    • Spyski
    • knadala