lilahtov

What's your favorite face primer?

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for a new face primer to try. I am currently using Hourglass' No. 28 Primer Serum and though I love it, it is quite expensive and takes a very long time to absorb, even using just a little bit. I'm pretty sure I can find a primer I like equally without the price tag that absorbs a bit faster--maybe something a bit lighter, too. I do not have a problem with oils but this is certainly heavy on them. 

So, what primer(s) do you recommend? I actually like the silicone-y feeling, so that's a pro rather than a con for me. Also, though I know this is an unpopular opinion, I'm not a fan of Hourglass' Veil Mineral Primer, for two reasons: it's very thin and runny, and I think it's overpriced for the ingredients used. You're welcome to defend it, though!

Thank you! :smileyhappy:

snowshoe

Re: What's your favorite face primer?

I swear by Smashbox's foundations, especially the blemish control version.  Occasionally the silicone formulas can make me break out, but I think the salicylic acid in this one fends the blemishes off because I haven't had a problem with this formula.

lovelykatya

Interestingly enough I Love the Hourglass Mineral Veil primer - I have been using it for over 3 years and had not issues. In my opinion it does not feel runny, thin - yes,  but I like it like that -  I do not want it to feel heavy like I have mask on my face! Plus it lasts a while and a little goes a long way.

Other primers I have tried I liked (but not loved) are -  MAC and Lancôme.

lilahtov

Katya, I wish I could say the same. I just feel I can't justify the price when I have sampled it and didn't fall in love. Maybe I should try again. Everyone here does love it so!

ChicDabbler

Aaaahhh! I love no.28 for winter! mineral veil is at the opposite end of the spectrum. If you like the silicone-y feel then something like Prime Time or Smashbox would be similar, a tad less greasy but silicone-y. Not sure how helpful it is, but I compared some popular primers here that might be of interest to you: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/Primer-comparison-What-s-your-favorite/m-p/684695

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Beautytester, I have actually read through that before--all the work you did, my gosh! You helped so many people, including me. I'm just also considering a few that didn't make your list--namely the Cover FX ones.

ChicDabbler

Beautytester paging lylysa. I believe this is a case for you? over.

I definitely remember chatting with lylysa, who mentioned Cover Fx in passing at one point but I just canNOT find it in my inbox, boohoo. Not sure if we were talking about primer or foundation, but she mentioned one of them in a positive way or was using it herself, so I think you are in good hand quality-wise. Not sure about the texture/consistency. That's all I've got.

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your help, Agent BT! :smileywink:

kraezilyunique

[ Edited ]

I use the original Smashbox primer for my face and then the Porefessional for my nose - the combo works well for me!

chrimmie12

I really love the Guerlain Meteorites Perfecting Primer.  

I have combination skin.  Some days, my T-zone is a little cray, and some days, my cheeks can absorb gallons of moisturizer.  The Guerlain primer kinda fits both ends of the skin spectrum for me.  

My skin feels silky after applying, also the light-diffusing particles make me feel pretty?  It doesn't look too pearl-y and in your face, especially with foundation/tm/bb over it.  Plus, I am a sucker for beautiful, gimmicky packaging.  

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

I have used the Guerlain and I love it (truly, I adore everything by Guerlain) but I just can't see spending $71 repeatedly for a primer. 

maddym93

(0) Hearts

Love the Too Faced Primed and Poreless and the Smashbox Photofinish Primer.

IAmLadyLiterary

Too Faced's primed and poreless is my holy grail primer, it gives a bit of that silicone feeling which I also love!  I used to use Smashbox's primer but I find it made me break out and I've since gone cruelty free and I just think Too Faced does a way better primer.  I also have trial sizes of Tarte's primers which I really want to try!

lilahtov

I've used Too Faced's as well and I am thinking of going back to it if I don't find something that I like better.

linda711

Too funny, after I was going to mooch off of your thread I actually stumbled across something to contribute and someone beat me to it lol!   I got the Too Faced p&p primer as a 100 point perk and have been using it for about 5 days, and I really like it.  It has just enough of that silicone-y feeling, and super smooth.  It may be a keeper!

person11

Not too fond of Hourglass Veil, either.  FYI, the thin and runny consistency comes from the primer separating.  I would have to unscrew the top and stir it around before I could use it almost every single time.  I had that problem with multiple bottles, so I don't think it's a "bad batch" issue.  Now I'm primer-hopping, but I keep going back to Smashbox. 

Missie772

I agree that the Hourglass Veil Primer is very overpriced. I don't mind that it is thin, but mine doesn't run? Maybe you just got a runny bottle?

I use HG in the summertime and in the wintertime when I need a bit drier, I use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm. It doesn't have that silicone feeling though! But it works wonders for keeping my makeup on and my wind blown skin moisturized.

melissabt

[ Edited ]

My fav primer is the same as Janines ! I love the Hourglass' Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15. It doesn't have that primer feel to it and my make up last sooo much longer and makes my skin looks super smooth and glowy.

<3 Melissa
bombshell30

Laura Mercier Radiance primer! My make up stays all day and it gives me a subtle lit within kind of glow. When I am in the mood I mix in the tiniest dob of pore fessional with it and the result is primer nirvana. I hope you find something you really love!

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Thank you, bombshell! Me, too!

Dolan

I just posted this somewhere else, but you should try out M. Asam's Perfect Teint II. I don't think Sephora sells it, but they sell it on HSN. This is by far the best primer I've ever tried. Check out the videos on it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 74 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar
    • jojobe
    • melissabt
    • janinebt