lilahtov

What's your favorite face primer?

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for a new face primer to try. I am currently using Hourglass' No. 28 Primer Serum and though I love it, it is quite expensive and takes a very long time to absorb, even using just a little bit. I'm pretty sure I can find a primer I like equally without the price tag that absorbs a bit faster--maybe something a bit lighter, too. I do not have a problem with oils but this is certainly heavy on them. 

So, what primer(s) do you recommend? I actually like the silicone-y feeling, so that's a pro rather than a con for me. Also, though I know this is an unpopular opinion, I'm not a fan of Hourglass' Veil Mineral Primer, for two reasons: it's very thin and runny, and I think it's overpriced for the ingredients used. You're welcome to defend it, though!

Thank you! :smileyhappy:

wendyomgwar

Re: What's your favorite face primer?

Have you tried Benefit's POREfessional? Its got that silicone like feel and is a bit of a mattifier. I've been meaning to get the No. 28 Primer forever, but I rarely even wear foundation so I can't justify the price :smileysad:

lilahtov

It's so lovely but so expensive and thick enough that I probably wouldn't like wearing it in the summertime. I have been tempted to try the Porefessional, some people love it and others think it's no good. I want to find out for myself!

wendyomgwar

I actually definitely do have an extra porefessional!! Are we in any of the same tsb?? Inbox me if we're not and you can't easily get a sample!!!!

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Thank you, wendy!! We are not, unfortunately (I'm only in the one I started, the original RTSB) but I will inbox you if need be. Thanks again!

jojobe

are you in any of the TSB's because I have seen those samples go around there a lot! I personally don't think I have any left or I would send it to you! 

ladymeag

I like the silicone-y feeling, too, and find it helpful in keeping my makeup smooth. Honestly? I've tried about a million primers, it seems, and the Sephora Collection Perfecting Ultra-Smoothing Primer works just fine for me. I don't remember which primer it's supposed to be a dupe for - but I do remember trying that primer and not being as impressed. (Smashbox, maybe?) 

lilahtov

Funny you should mention that one--I actually have some at home, I remember buying it in the hopes that I could find a good, cheaper option. It didn't do it for me, it got grainy and balled up something awful. Maybe every primer I've tried is a "bad batch" :smileyvery-happy:

pipsqueek1582

I've had that happen before, but I figured out the problem...wasn't the product, it was me. Make sure and let the toner...or whatever you have one already fully absorb, then apply the primer, let it absorb. i actually apply my moisturizer after my primer ( recovery serum, as referenced in my other post on this thread). It works wonderfully for me! Doesn't get all grainy and ball up if I let it set, then moisturizer.

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Interesting tip, thank you, Pip!!

ladymeag

I _do_ have trouble with that if mine is older - I tend not to stock up on this one because it'll do that. I figure for the price I'm paying, I can just suck it up and not get an additional savings on it. Honestly, I should probably buy something better given the amount of money I spend on everything else. :smileyvery-happy: 

linda711

If you don't mind lilahtov, I'm going to sit back on this one and observe as the fantastic advice flows in.  I happen to be on the hunt for a new primer myself:smileywink:

lilahtov

Of course, Linda! That's what we're all here for, good advice and lots of it :smileyhappy:

I hope you find what you're looking for!

DandyLionFluff

I really like the Hourglass veil primer.  I haven't had a chance to try the #28 yet.  

I know you do not enjoy the veil primer, but I just combine it with 2 pumps of my foundation, and it goes on so smooth, and my foundation brush doesn't end up drinking my foundation, LOL.

lilahtov

Well, that's an idea. Since you combine it with your foundation rather than applying it underneath, does it still do its job as a primer and keep your makeup in place throughout the day?

DandyLionFluff

It does a good job of keeping my makeup on all day.  I can't take credit for the idea of combining the two, it was something that I saw on a beauty blog. 

orkira

I can't help personally, my favorite is the Hourglass Veil...lol.  It's the only primer I have found that stays on my combination skin & doesn't break me out/make my face feel like it is on fire.  However my SIL swears by Benefit the Porefessional so maybe give that one a try?

lilahtov

I do want to try the Porefessional, since I've heard many good things...then again, you are in good company loving the Veil! I don't quite know why it is that I can't jump on the bandwagon.

arielaaaaaaaa

I have quite a few Primer i love. But i have Dry skin, So i'm ooking to control dry flakes, not Oil-control or Pro-longing makeup. I love Korres Quercetin & Oak Primer, It's a cream texture, Doesn't feel like Silicone (Which i don't like) And it's a good base for my makeup, Not really hydrating but it does help my makeup last longer. 

I have a deluxe sample of Smashbox's Hydrating Primer and i'm in love! I really does help keep my skin from flaking or looking dry once foundation is on, which is a huge issue when i wear makeup. 

I also Love Laura Mercier's Primer in Radiance! It definitely gives a subtle glow, and i find it pretty hydrating! 

I've tried Hourglass's Veil Primer, And it alright, Not worth the Price at all to me. It makes my face soft but that's all. But that's because i don't have oily skin, or have trouble with my makeup disappearing, I'm sure if i had those issues it would be a great primer. 

lilahtov

Thank you for the recs, Ariela! 

I don't have oily skin, either--I have combination skin. Perhaps that's why I don't find Veil so amazing.

shinybananas

I've been using Laura Mercier's radiant primer and I adore it.  But you should know that I have dry skin, which can handle a dewier look.  People tend to like her primers, though; you may be well served to sample some of her other offerings.

Other than that,  I do love Hourglass's Veil Primer.  Oddly, I don't find it runny...maybe you got a bad batch?

I have a Koh Gen Do pearl white primer coming tomorrow that I ordered off of Hautelook, so I can't comment on it other than to say I am waaaaay excited.

lilahtov

Thanks for the rec!

I am tempted to give it another chance, mostly because soooo many BTers love it so much.

I hope you like the KGD! Please let us know, if you can!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 63 replies
  • 74 hearts
  • 32 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar
    • jojobe
    • melissabt
    • janinebt