incinci

What comes first? Primer or Moisturizer?

I have heard conflicting things about what order to put on facial products...Some say primer then moisturizer, others say the moisturizer then primer...

Wondering what you ladies think?  I also like to use a BB cream for light coverage before my foundation, where does that go in the mix?  I obviously know that foundation comes last, lol...  Also, do you think I need a BB when I am already using a primer and a moisturizer?

aviscardi

Re: What comes first? Primer or Moisturizer?

I agree with all of the responses here. I put my moisturizer & eye cream on as soon as i get out of the shower, and then i start my eye makeup. by the time i go back to my face, it has sunk in for at least 10-15mins. I generally use moisturizer under BBs and primer over them since i like the barrier between my face and any cosmetic product, plus the extra moisture. tartes bb tinted is one i noticed i do not need as much primer, i only use it in my oil prone areas - around my nose and on my chin

incinci

Thanks everyone!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

We're happy to help!

lylysa

For basics, moisturize, prime, the complexion products.

It makes it a bit easier to categorize items into either skin care or a cosmetic. On a bare or just cleansed face, skin is exposed and ready to absorb, like a sponge, almost. So whatever product you apply first will sink in and take in the most effect, hence the need for skin care products and treatments. It wouldn't do your skin much good to slather on foundation or even BB creams first and then try to apply face lotion or skin care products like serum or eye cream on top.

BB creams are an inbetween product in terms of coverage and benefits, fitting in the middle of tinted moisturizers and foundations. Though BBs tote multiple benefits to moisturize and prime skin, it's still more of a cosmetic product than it is skin care. So though it may help to add moisture or lightly moisturize, it's not a complete moisturizer, and though it may help with priming, since it's not solely a primer, it might not suit that job to the best of its ability.

BB creams and even CC creams are great time savers if you're in a rush or don't want to layer as much on, but they're not meant to replace your moisturizer or primer entirely. For example, if someone has oily skin or large pores, they might find the priming aspect of a BB not beneficial enough and still need an actual primer to smooth over and mattify skin.

veevali

(0) Hearts

I do moisturizer before primer. I think of it as you moisturizer your clean skin, then use a primer inbetween your face and your foundation as a base/protective layer.

You don't need a BB cream and a primer/foundation. I still moisturizer with a BB cream, but a BB cream to me is like a light coverage foundation. Except tarte's, which I think is a BB cream primer...

StraightRhodes

I moisturize first, usually letting it sink in for a few minutes before I apply primer. My primer's texture doesn't feel right if I do the reverse.

A BB cream is meant to be a primer, moisturizer, and foundation in one. You do not need one if you are already using the other three. Also I have yet to find an American BB cream that is worth anything.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • lylysa
    • StraightRhodes
    • veevali
    • incinci