RasminM

What are the best makeup products for acne-prone/dry skin due to Accutane?

Hi everyone!

First off, a little history about my skin. I have been through all the topicals/medication for my acne and resorted to Accutane. I was briefly on it once before, but was unable to completely finish the course. A year later I'm on my second go, almost 12 days in and my skin is red, my lips always burn & my make-up looks great for an hour or so before getting peels around my nose. I use heavy heavy Vaseline on my lips before bed, as well as throughout the day. I use Cerave am spf 15 before my make-up, and Cerave pm moisturizers before bed at night (I got these two bottles from Target for $13/each). They feel good on my skin and while I'm at home, my nose and corners of my nose never peel but as soon as it's time for work, my skin acts up. I use Studio Fix Fluid foundation by MAC in NC37 and ProLongwear concelar in NW30 (I personally feel it brightens my skin too much to where it looks very odd, so I may change this for select cover up). I use Makeup Forever's HD Professional powder to set my foundation, except on my nose. My face cleanser is a simple clean & clear wake me up or L'oreal's cleanser that comes with the small exfoliator. I also exfoliate a few times a week lightly with Peter Thomas Roth's micro bead exfoliator (yellow color, forgot the name lol). 

Sorry this was so long, any tips or changes I can do in my makeup/skincare routine would be helpful! I try to not wear makeup when I can but for some events a girl has to have her makeup! :smileywink: 

RasminM

Re: What are the best makeup products for acne-prone/dry skin due to Accutane?

(0) Hearts

Update: I've been meaning to update this post for awhile but school/work keep me busy. Anyways--I bought a tub of aquaphor healing ointment, it's like Vaseline but so so much better. I carry it with me everywhere I go and reapply as needed because my lips without anything on them simply just burn. At night, I put it all over my face and it hasn't broken me out +It leaves my skin super soft!

As far as cleansers are concerned, I stick to my usual Biore.

& With my makeup routine I use MAC's Select Cover up because i goes on smoothly but its hydrating. My ProLong wear was heard to spread a little. After concealing, I shake my MAC Studio Fix Foundation and whatever bit sits on the top of the bottle, I take that and stipple it. I then use a very tiny bit of HD powder to make it look less shiny. This routine has been working amazing for me. 

I went back to Sephora twice because of a wrong color match/don't like the way MUF Invisible looks on my skin. 

Whenever I see dry acne areas, I even add Aquaphor underneath my makeup and no one can tell :smileyhappy:

ninanguyen

(0) Hearts

i have been on accutane for about a 1 month now, and i have experience dryness of EVERYTHING! my how make routine had change because i had super oily skin before. 

Foundation

- Doir airflash ( very natural and not heavy, doesn't make the dry patches noticeable) apply where there are breakout and acne scab, best with a beauty blender

- Urban Decay Naked skin ( great for dry skin, but light coverage)

SET YOUR MAKEUP WITH SITTING SPRAY " URBAN DECAY ALL NIGHTER " INSTEAD OF POWER, you already have dry skin no need for that

jennjenn123

(0) Hearts

I think when I was on Accutane I was using Revlon Colorstay as my foundation and skipped powder.  I agree with the others that it seems like you're over-exfoliating.

Are your cleansers foaming?  If so, they'll further dry your skin.  Look to see if there is a sulfate (i.e. sodium lauryl sulfate) as one of the first three ingredients.  Cetaphil is a very gentle cleanser that was recommended to my by my dermatologist.  While it contains sodium lauryl sulfate, it is much lower on the list, meaning there is not as much in the cleanser. 

Also, bring moisturizer with you!  Around my nose got really dry as well, and I'd rather just put more moisturizer on than having my face feel funny, even if it means messing up foundation.  It's not like the peeled skin looks great either.

In the end, it is worth it!

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Oh, I forgot to say: if you don't mind shelling out a pretty penny for a new foundation, YSL Teint Eclat might be absolutely perfect for you.  It's very hydrating, has medium coverage that can be built up, and actually contains sunscreen (my sister was on Accutane and said that it was absolutely vital for her to ALWAYS wear sunscreen, not sure if that was just her!) to keep you protected.  It gives the most beautiful radiant finish that will make your skin look glowy but not sparkly or shimmery - just fresh and luminous.

If you go into Sephora, definitely ask for a sample if there's a good shade match!

RasminM

Yes! Sunscreen is such a must, my Cerave lotion for am has Spf 15, as well as all the foundations I use but I plan on swinging by Sephora tomorrow so I'll be sure to get a sample for the YSL/Makeup Forever foundation and try it out a few times before I purchase it. The gasoline analogy for Vaseline is just crazy, makes total sense however--I really appreciate your detailed replies btw!

latinadiva

My cousin recently went through this exact issue, so hopefully what I saw her use can be of help! For one thing, I can say in terms of myself, I have very oily skin so I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. However, for some strange reason I often get extremely dry patches in the corners of my nose that will last forever, go away for a while, then come back. I started using the Tarte maracuja oil at night, just on the corners of my nose and the problem was solved in maybe 2-3 days and I have not had an issue since. Maybe that could help you.

In terms of my cousin and her similar experience, she went to Sephora to get recommendations. I know she ended up getting suggested a moisturizer that was legit like $50-60 which I of course forget what it is but she did say it was well worth the money. Then she was suggested to use the Laura Mercier primer and the Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation, as both were said to be very moisturizing. Fast forward...about 4-5 months and her skin is back to normal. 

On a personal note, I would also suggest the MAC Mineralize liquid foundation...I've heard RAVES from people with dry skin. I have a sample of it just out of curiosity. I obviously can't wear it long because I get oily, but I love how it looks for at night let's say when I'm going out so I know I will only have it on for a few hours and it gives a gorgeous dewy look.

RasminM

(0) Hearts

When I had a phase of dry skin in High School I actually used the MAC Mineralize liquid foundation, I have a little bit of two different shades left so I'll try it today & hopefully it will stay! I had the same problem with it not providing me coverage all day. I have been a MACaholic for years and am just now trying some of Sephora's products. I was looking into the Hello flawless foundation by Benefit or Makeup Forever HD since the reviews have said they're hydrating foundations but I'll stop by my Sephora and get a second opinion apart from YT reviews. Thanks so much!! 

emmaclaire

Actually, Vaseline or any other petroleum jelly based product is NOT good for dry skin!  I know it sounds absurd, and it's very common to use, but petroleum jelly is actually a very dangerous material that doesn't penetrate the skin to provide moisture - it sits on top and creates a greasy barrier between your skin and external elements (which kind of suffocates your skin without providing any benefit - it's like greasy plastic wrap).  So I definitely recommend discontinuing the use of Vaseline, ESPECIALLY on your lips!

My favorite heavy duty lip balm is Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment, which I don't think contains petroleum.  EOS is also a nice brand, and their balms are fun to use!

Also, it sounds like you might be over exfoliating.  As weird as it sounds, too much exfoliation can actually cause blemishes, dry patches, and oily patches!  When you exfoliate, you're scrubbing away some of the natural oils your skin needs to balance itself (not too dry and not too oily), so your skin might overcompensate by producing strange amounts of oil.  Exfoliating once per week is really the maximum, even with less intense products!

If the moisturizers you're using feel like they're doing a great job, try making the adjustment with the exfoliator (i.e. doing less exfoliating) and see if your skin gets less flaky.  If not, I would look into a different foundation.  Long wear foundations sometimes contain alcohol, which can seriously dry out your skin.  It might do your skin a LOT of good to look into a BB or CC cream, especially now that there are so many great options readily available!  BB/CC creams were designed to nourish skin while still providing coverage, so if dryness is your main concern they would definitely be worth trying.

lylysa

[ Edited ]

I'm totally in line with the Vaseline bit, petroleum based products are a bit like a double edged sword.

On one hand, the protective barrier it forms does combat harsh external elements; however, if left in it's purest or most basic form, it's not fortified with any conditioning elements, thus leaving skin not treated or nourished.

Think of it like this, if your skin is in bad shape and you slather on just a protective product but don't add on anything hydrating or treatment based, you're not only protecting your skin from the bad, but you're also not doing too much in terms of adding good to it either.

Most lip products contain some type of petroleum, but it's key to find formulas also fortified with things like shea butter, avocado oil, fruit extracts, vitamins, antioxidants, and humectants (which bind moisture to skin) so there's a balance of protection and nourishment.

The CeraVe lotions you use are top picks of mine because they're a no-fuss way to long term hydration without pore clogging ingredients. Ceramides, niacinmides, and sodium hyaluronate increase moisture levels in your lipid barriers, bind healthy moisture pulled from the atmosphere, and strengthen cell walls.

Try exfoliating no more than twice a week, it's good the scrub you have uses gentle jojoba beads rather than scratchy or coarse particles.

Try looking into either Korres Milk/Yogurt line or their Pomegranate line. The M/Y line is good for combination or sensitive skin that needs something gentle to help cleanse and rejuevenate while the P line helps to balance out combination/oily and acne prone skin while protecting with anti-oxidants and clarifying skin.

RasminM

That makes sense, I just can't believe its such a go to product from children to adults to put Vaseline on & it's not the best for you. Thanks so much for your help/product advice--I'll be sure to check them out! 

Spoiler

RasminM

(0) Hearts

WOW. Me & my sister love Vaseline, I can't use it over a long period of time because it gives my lips a weird dark line in the middle but I find when using it at night it keeps my lips very soft, pink and healthy. I have an EOS so I'll switch it up--I just steamed my face yesterday with a lot of lotion on to clean my pores/skin so I'll cut down on exfoliation for a week and see what it does for me--if not I plan to go to Sephora and purchase a foundation, I've heard Hello Flawless by Benefit and Makeup Forever HD has been hydrating with great coverage, have you had any experience with either of these foundations? 

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Isn't it nuts that Vaseline is actually very harmful?!  I ALWAYS used it as a kid, and only stopped because I loved trying new lip balms.  Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of oil drilling, and if you put it on your lips you end up ingesting it - which is the equivalent of drinking gasoline!  Ack!  The reason it's so often used in lip products is because it does create a barrier, meaning moisture can't get OUT, but it also doesn't let anything IN (and doesn't add any moisture!).  Generally it's not good to use on or around your mouth, but because it's SO common, completely eliminating it might be difficult.  EOS doesn't contain any petroleum jelly, so like I said, it's a great choice!  Same with the Blistex Medicated Lip Ointment (which is super duper powerful).

I haven't had any experience with the Benefit Hello Flawless foundation, but I have read a lot of good reviews for it!  I'm incredibly pale so there isn't a shade for me - which actually brings me to my next point.  I have heard from a few beauty bloggers and reviewers that the Hello Flawless tends to oxidize a bit.  If you can, it might be a good idea to go with a shade that is slightly lighter to account for oxidization - but try a sample before you purposely pick the (slightly) wrong shade LOL!

I have used the Make Up For Ever HD, and since I tend to get a bit oily I wasn't a fan.  If your problem is dryness, it might be a terrific match!  I didn't think it provided much coverage (light to medium) but that could easily be because it slipped off on my oily face haha.  That foundation is very popular, and most people really seem to adore it, so I think that's a fantastic option for you to look into.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • lylysa
    • latinadiva
    • jennjenn123
    • RasminM
    • ninanguyen