lecia1167

Wayne Goss's tip on applying foundation is really interesting....

I am so gonna try this!!

This trick will hold your foundation in place all day. No excess post powdering. It will also fill in pores and some fine lines! I KNOW! We've been told to powder after foundation, and this makes total sense. And it works. But what works really well is to powder before foundation. After moisturiser and primer THEN YOU POWDER. Then you apply foundation OVER THE POWDER! This will fill in pores. But what it will do is keep your foundation in place all day. If you have dry skin you will not need to powder your foundation after. You can just leave it. For those with very oily skin you will need a touch of powder on the t-zone only. Give it a go. Let me know what you think and the results :smileyhappy: Oh and thumbs up! Thank you!

hollygohardly

Re: Wayne Goss's tip on applying foundation is really interesting....

[ Edited ]

I've done this every day since I first learned about it! I don't even use primer anymore.

I lightly dust on some Laura Mercier loose setting powder and then I apply my foundation, YS Touche Eclat, with a beauty blender. It works MARVELOUSLY with my foundation, and I actually use so much less of it now (thank god).

edit: I also should addd that I have REALLY dry skin, I just make sure that I am extra moisturized and sun screened up before I apply the powder.

jojobe

I sometimes do this with my primed and poreless powder. Some foundations it will make look funky so do experiment before venturing out with a new technique

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

This is actually quite interesting. I may try it in the morning, early enough to wash it off and apply my make up again as I normally would apply it.It never hurts to try new techniques, just like it never hurts to try new products :smileywink:

Brie514

It does... something? I'm not sure if I like this something or not, but it does something.

I did one side of my face with the powder under and one with it over,  and I think the best way to sum it up is that the side with the powder under looked less natural. I feel like it might be a bit creepy for daytime but okay for night. If that makes sense to you guys?

Basically, I'm having trouble deciding if I like it or not :smileyhappy:

talinder

(0) Hearts

Yeah I tried it and I didn't look awesome. Nor did I stay more matte. I'll give it another whirl though. So far I'm filing it under beauty myth.

nishcakes

With the powder, did you try a very light dusting?

Brie514

I tried it again today with a MUCH lighter dusting and it worked out very well. Thanks :smileyhappy: 

I guess the secret is to just powder very lightly 

cmcalcag

tried this....NO LUCK.

used MUFE's loose setting powder then used UD's Naken Skin Foundation w/ my hands to apply then a light dusting overtop. guess what I apparently must just have like radioactive oily skin cause I was sheening like a diamond after about 2 hrs.  Then again I could wear no makeup and still get oily very quickly. next.

nishcakes

(0) Hearts

Yea, it doesn't help with the shine. It just prevents your foundation from coming off.

nishcakes

So here's the verdict so far...

I'm a very oily, acne prone girl. Usually after a couple of hours I get oil slick and my foundation slides right off. This past weekend I tried this technique 2 different ways, moisturizer only (Saturday) and moisturizer plus primer (Sunday).

I used Hourglass foundation and Cover FX Illuminating Setting Powder (loose) in Medium.

Moisturizer only (Saturday) under powder was The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Day Cream. Moisturizer plus primer (Sunday) was Cetaphil DermaControl Oil Control, then Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.

On both days, I still got oil slick, but foundation didn't budge. Blotted twice In about 10 hours (Multiple sheets though).

I recommend this technique to keep your makeup in place and lasting long. However, do not think this will keep you matte if you are the oily type.

To combat the oil, I will try this next with the HG primer only or a mattifying moisturizer/primer or a facial oil only. I also think I'm going to go back to using Witch Hazel. I now remember that this worked for me. Idk why I stopped using it.

*The short of it...with this technique, you won't need to refresh your makeup during the course of the day.

nishcakes

I just watched that vid a couple of days ago and was a bit skeptical. But if @anb0906 says it worked, I'm going for it! 

jullysay

I want to try this technique too and hope it works. Another one I want to try is the concealer under the eyes trick that he posted about too.

heartsmyface

Neat concept. Worth a try.

anb0906

This tip actually works incredibly well. I've heard it works well for all skin types, too!

3 tips:

Make sure it is loose powder, not pressed 

Use just a light dusting of powder underneath the foundation (on top of the moisturizer or primer)

Use an extra light dusting under the eyes, to prevent it from "powder creasing"

(This actually "sets" my concealer under my eyes, too!!!)

My skin is ridiculously oily, and this is a lifesaver. I barely have to blot! My foundation stays all day, and I no longer have any use for an expensive primer. I can actually use moisturizer :smileyvery-happy:

calamityjane85

LOOSE POWDER! oh *facepalm* trying this again !!!

talinder

So you are now skipping primer? *runs off to find video*

Missie772

Yes I only have pressed powder and it did not work! I went out and bought loose powder!

Manda

Hmmm.. I think I might dry this for my skin. I don't know how it will react however it is worth it, right? And thank you for the tips!

infinitise

I really wanted to love this trick but it fails ever time 

Especially if i use a beauty blender on top, the difference is pores is non existant 

It just makes my skin be incredibly flaky and flat as if im wearing a bad matte foundation 

It takes away the glow my foundation normally gives and make them wear down patchy.. 

I personally think the foundation needs the primer in direct contact to adhere to 

consolvo

Would the Tarte Smooth Operator Finishing Powder be a good choice to try this with?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 35 replies
  • 66 hearts
  • 27 in conversation
    • misscg
    • lyravega
    • Manda
    • jojobe
    • consolvo
    • talinder